Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

Old July 16th, 2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TNSAF

Default Immigration Patrols On Domestic Amtrak

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

On 2007-07-14 22:53:17 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"
said:

Relatively few illegal immigrants come over from Canada. I rarely hear
of
anyone being caught due to checkpoints near the Canadian border (or even
at
the border itself). In fact, the guy with the TB case came across on
the
I-87 crossing from Canada into New York State. He was on a watch list,
and
border patrol just waved him through.

There was also the little matter of an intended Arab bomber trying to get
through a checkpoint in Washington state back in 1999 or 2000.
Fortunately, he was caught at the border and put out of circulation.

Yes I do remember that. Fortunately they do catch some. Also,
fortunately, many intended terrorists are stupid.

Fortunately he was already known to the RCMP and under some level of
surveillance, presumably his name and aliases were listed on any shared
lists...

Old July 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Rules for border crossings into the United States (was: Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak)

On Jul 16, 12:51 pm, Hatunen wrote:
Generally, when one talks of national ID cards one means
something all residents are required to have. It would be well if
everyone agreed on just what is being referred to.

The problem is that while there is no "official" national ID card we
are required by law to have, to effectively function in society we
must have a official state issued ID card (driver's license or
substitute). (Unless one spends their entire life living under a
bridge eating scrap food).

It wasn't that long ago that a person only had to get a social
security card when they grew up and started working. But now the govt
requires you get one at birth.

I don't understand why elementary schools require a kid's SSN to
register. Is the 5 year old kid gonna get taxable income at recess?
Actually, I don't undestand why colleges require it either.

Old July 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
HAL

In article . com,
wrote:

How about a more informal government issued ID? For example, an
employee ID card or facility entrance ID card. I have an official
"govt issued" photo ID card from the municipal swimming pool. I often
wonder if that will count as acceptable. Of course these days, when
I'm taking train pictures locally, if the cops asked for ID that's
what they're gonna get because it was their town that issued it.

If it is government issued and has an expiration date it should be
acceptable. Employee ID cards are good if they are government agency
cards. Cards issued by private employers are not good. The government
issued ID does not have to be a drivers license but to be valid it has
to have an expiration date.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Adam H. Kerman

On 2007-07-15 15:49:11 -0400, "Stephen Sprunk" said:

What really jerks my chain is that folks on the US side demanded to see
my passport to allow me to _leave_ the US. They were far more
interested in me than the Canadians, who just waved me through without
even opening the booth's window.

What do you mean? We cross the border frequently. Going from the US to
Canada, we don't even go through a US checkpoint. How do you get sent
through one?

And Canada is not nearly that bored by us. We always get stopped and
asked where we're going, how long we're going to be in Canada and
whether we're bringing anything that might interest them.

Beer? Back bacon?

Do you have an answer to my questions or are you just bull****ting?

In the previous paragraph, you asked a question of someone else.

You didn't ask a question in the last paragraph. Perhaps you could read what
you wrote for comprehension.

I'm just not used to smart-ass comments from people who have no
possible interest in the subject and have nothing of any value whatever
to contribute.

Wow. What a bitch.

Which is a perfect description of you.

Way to make friends and influence people.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Merritt Mullen

In article ,

On 2007-07-15 23:33:29 -0400, Merritt Mullen said:

In article ,

On 2007-07-15 20:37:46 -0400, Merritt Mullen said:

In article ,
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

I've been stopped by such patrols on Interstates in California

I-5 and I-15 both have such facilities built right into the northbound
lanes of the interstates, about 50 mile north of the border in areas where
there are no practical detours off of the interstates.

What border? If they're on I-5 and I-15, they're not in Canada, so what
border are you talking about?

The word "California" should give you a clue.

Let's see: the California "customs officials" have facilities "about 50
mile north of the border" in Oregon? Or is it about 50 miles north of
the Mexican border in Californis?

Who said anything about "California Customs Officials". We are talking
about the U.S Border Patrol and Immigration Agents. Nothing to do with
the state of California.

The California Agricultural Inspection stations on the borders with other
U.S. states are a completely different issue and have nothing to do with
immigration.

Just which border are you talking about? Most of this discussion has
been about the one with Canada.

Yes, but I was responding to the posting by Keith Willshaw (still above),
that referred to immigration checks on the California interstates. Trust
me, no one in California is patrolling the Canadian border.

Merritt
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Merritt Mullen

In article ,
"tim....." wrote:

ISTM that a problem is, despite having selected you
randomly, IME these people still treat you like a criminal
when they question you.

If they were taught to use their manners when they
first talked with people and only go into 'agressive'
mode when you give the wrong answers, people might
be more sympathetic about the job that they have to do.

Why do you think that is not the case? Have you had a bad experience?

Merritt