traveling with my car to Europe

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Default traveling with my car to Europe

"Tim C." wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:18:13 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on arrival
and you may need the car testing,

I don't think that's necessary for a temporary import is it?

Dunno.

I've never seen US style white indicators on a car in the UK, even ones
showing US license plates.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 20th, 2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Feb 20, 6:23*am, Mike wrote:
Bert Hyman wrote:
The worse thing about US cars IME is that stupid flashing "stop" light
pretending to be an indicator light.

What?

stop tail lights that flash as indicators, jive seen them on US cars
in England, so probably legal?

What is a "stop tail light that flash as indicators"? Frankly I have
no idea what you are talking about. When you press on the brake
pedal, red lights come on, but they don't flash. There are emergency
flashing lights when you press the emergency button. But they can be
on whether you are stopped or moving. So I have no idea what you are
talking about.

--
Mike
Travel broadens the mind?

Old February 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Mike" kirjoitti
om...
PeterL wrote:

What is a "stop tail light that flash as indicators"? Frankly I have
no idea what you are talking about. When you press on the brake
pedal, red lights come on, but they don't flash.

on some US cars, the indicators and just the rear lights going on and
off, crap idea IMHO.
--

Stop drinking and then it stops blinking.

Old February 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

tim..... wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
"Tim C." wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:18:13 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

The lights will need to be modified to meet European standards on
arrival
and you may need the car testing,
I don't think that's necessary for a temporary import is it?

At the very least you need to ensure the headlights dip to the
correct side of the road.

The worse thing about US cars IME is that stupid flashing "stop" light
pretending to be an indicator light. Whether this needs to be changed, I
have no idea.

????? "Flashing stop light"? I've been driving (mostly) American cars
all my life, and the only way my stop lights "flash" is if I pump the
brake pedal to MAKE them do so when some idiot behind me seems
disinclined to stop! (Or are you referring to the "hazard" lights? I
think the rear red light flashes, too, when they are engaged.)
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:40:43 +0000, Mike wrote:

PeterL wrote:

What is a "stop tail light that flash as indicators"? Frankly I have
no idea what you are talking about. When you press on the brake
pedal, red lights come on, but they don't flash.

on some US cars, the indicators and just the rear lights going on and
off, crap idea IMHO.

I've never seen a car thus equipped in the US. But you can buy brake light
flashers for motorcycles from several sources, and many bikers swear by them.

Most flash five or so times at 2Hz or so, then stay solidly on.

-- Larry
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bert Hyman

wrote:

PeterL wrote:

What is a "stop tail light that flash as indicators"? Frankly I have
no idea what you are talking about. When you press on the brake
pedal, red lights come on, but they don't flash.

on some US cars, the indicators and just the rear lights going on and
off, crap idea IMHO.

I've never seen a car thus equipped in the US. But you can buy brake
light flashers for motorcycles from several sources, and many bikers
swear by them.

His explanation's a little hard to understand if you've never seen a car
so (un)equipped.

American cars traditionally had only a single red lamp (or multiple
bulbs wired together) on each side of the car which served the combined
purposes of night-time tail lights, brake lights and turn signals.
Normally, the lamps are off.

When the brakes are applied, both the left- and right-side lamps are lit
at high brightness.

When the turn signals are activated, the lamp on the selected side turns
on at high brightness and off periodically.

When the headlights are on, both rear lamps are lit at moderate
brightness, going to high brightness when either the brakes are applied
or the turn signals are activated.

Starting sometime in the past few decades, many cars have been equipped
with separate lamps for turn signals, usually colored orange, retaining
the combined tail light and brake light functions in another lamp, but
lots are still made with just the single multi-function lamp.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message

wrote:

PeterL wrote:

[...]

well explained.

I suspect that the ones with multiple lenses are the Jap ones that have to
have that configuration to sell in Europe. The US ones that don't sell at
all in Europe will be the ones that still have the single lens.

tim

Old February 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Bert Hyman writes:
American cars traditionally had only a single red lamp (or multiple
bulbs wired together) on each side of the car which served the combined
purposes of night-time tail lights, brake lights and turn signals.
Normally, the lamps are off.

When the brakes are applied, both the left- and right-side lamps are lit
at high brightness.

When the turn signals are activated, the lamp on the selected side turns
on at high brightness and off periodically.

When the headlights are on, both rear lamps are lit at moderate
brightness, going to high brightness when either the brakes are applied
or the turn signals are activated.

The last thing to be mentioned is that this system offers one
significant advantage over the one used in Europe and on some
American cars, where all turn signals are yellow. When it's dark
and you see a turn signal flashing some distance ahead of you,
if the rear-facing turn signals are red, then you know immediately
whether this one is on a car facing toward you or not.

On the other hand, it also has a significant disadvantage: it means
that while the turn signal is flashing, that lamp cannot also indicate
whether the brakes are on. But the adoption of center brake lights
has helped ameloriate this.
--
Mark Brader | "And so it went. Tens of thousands of messages,
Toronto | hundreds of points of view. It was not called the

Old March 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-02-20, Mark Brader wrote:

The last thing to be mentioned is that this system offers one
significant advantage over the one used in Europe and on some
American cars, where all turn signals are yellow. When it's dark
and you see a turn signal flashing some distance ahead of you,
if the rear-facing turn signals are red, then you know immediately
whether this one is on a car facing toward you or not.

You can't tell this by the big white headlights versus the small red
rear lights?