Rural New England towns

Old July 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt B

Default Rural New England towns

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:26:25 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

"Matt B" wrote in message
.. .
In order to get some respite from the cities during my coming US
visit, I was thinking of visiting a rural New England town on my way
down from Boston to New York (travelling by Greyhound). I'm planning
on spending a night and a day there before moving on.

So far the two that have caught my eye a

Mystic, Connecticut
Fairfield, Connecticut (Money magazine says this is the 9th best place
to live in the World)

Are these places worth a trip, or does anyone have any suggestions
about other towns on route?

Somewhere where accommodation will be both available and not too
expensive is desirable.

Matt

My recommendation would be to do more research in Pennsylvania, where small
town charm still exist in some areas. Not sure how this would work into
your itinerary, though.

Pennsylvania will have to be left for next time, as much as I would
like to visit. Just can't fit it in this time unfortunately.

Matt
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

"Matt B" wrote in message
On 29 Jul 2006 15:05:39 -0700, "Vacation Mamma"
wrote:

Newport Rhode Island or Mystic Connecticut - though neither are rural
small towns, but bustling seaport towns with a good tourist trade

Both are definitely worth the trip, I can only speak personally about
Newport - great coastal walk, historic mansions with great architecture
and splendor, good food.

As always, thanks for the comments.

I liked the sound of Newport, but alas, yet again I have been foiled
by the great US public transportation system! It seems that neither
Greyhound nor Amtrak offer ways down there from Boston. Obviously it's
too far off the beaten track for them.

Bonananza bus have a service to Newport from NYC

http://www.bonanzabus.com/

So it may have to be Mystic.

Anyone know if it will be possible to find a cheap motel in Mystic on
the day of arrival?

Its possible but I'd book if I were you, its a
popular area and if you are dependent on public transport
you cant take the next option 10 miles away

There's a comfort inn but thats a couple of miles away
The econolodge is closer but its still a mile or so away.

Most of the hotels in Mystic itself were rather upmarket
as I recall

Keith

Old July 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

k wrote:

Stonington is most emphatically NOT home to the last fishing and lobster
fleet in Connecticut. I'm a boater in the area

I am not a boater and rely on what I have read. I have walked
all over Stonington Borough, and have enjoyed watching the
fishing/loberstering boats going in and out, unloading catch, etc.

, and Stonington is the only
village in CT on the Atlantic,

and that is what makes it so nice. One place to
stay that I have seen, a few small restaurants, some
small shops, a little general store, quiet town square,
beautiful little library, not very crowded.

Mystic has attractions for tourists, but I'd never call it a tourist trap,

Your opinion. But, Mystic's economy is overwhelmingly supported
by tourism (aquarium, seaport, Mystic Pizza, hotel and motel
chains galore, restaurants bars, etc., etc. It is crawling with
tourists, overwhelmed by them. It is what the place
is all about.

not in a million years. The town is absolutely authentic, and tourist
dollars help to keep it that way, but a trap? Not.

Again, your opinion. OK, so it is a tourist "haven".

Old July 31st, 2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Matt B" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:26:25 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

"Matt B" wrote in message
. ..
In order to get some respite from the cities during my coming US
visit, I was thinking of visiting a rural New England town on my way
down from Boston to New York (travelling by Greyhound). I'm planning
on spending a night and a day there before moving on.

So far the two that have caught my eye a

Mystic, Connecticut
Fairfield, Connecticut (Money magazine says this is the 9th best place
to live in the World)

Are these places worth a trip, or does anyone have any suggestions
about other towns on route?

Somewhere where accommodation will be both available and not too
expensive is desirable.

Matt

Matt, I never thought to mention this, but you can go rural very easily from
Boston, with a day trip by ferry to a town like Beverly on the North Shore.
There are several small towns in the area that are basically suburbs, but
where the local economy right on the coast is based on the sea, yet a mile
inland it's agricultural. You'll be on a bus tour, so a ferry ride and a
bicycle rental would probably be a nice diversion anyhow. Land around these
towns is falling to sprawl at an alarming rate, but not nearly as fast as in
other places. They are still quite rural, and in a genteel way.

The T services much of the North Shore, too, so commuter train is an option
if you don't like boats.

Sadly, the large parts of New England that are indeed rural, are rural
enough that you'll only get there by car. If you're looking for a real
Robert Frost experience, then maybe you can come back one day and explore
the back roads of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine or New York. Rural is still
possible in Connecticut and Rhode Island, but not marketed for that, so it's
harder to find.

If you're taking the bus from Boston to NY, then Mystic is the place to
spend a day.

Keith

Old July 31st, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt B

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:19:41 GMT, "k" wrote:

[...]

Cheers, Keith. During my next visit (probably in the far future), I
will almost definitely opt for the car option, just so I can
incorporate places like that.

Matt