Proposing in NY

Old August 21st, 2006, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Samuel C

Default Proposing in NY

We are going to NY and New England for the first time soon. I'd like
to propose to my girlfriend at the same time. Where/when would be a
good idea? We'd like it to be quite private, though, so not in a
restaurant.
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JN

Hike up Mt. Jo in the high peaks wilderness near Lake Placid, you get a
great view of the mountains. If you go in the middle of the week in
September, you will probably be the only ones there.

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa[_1_]

"Samuel C" wrote in message
We are going to NY and New England for the first time soon. I'd like
to propose to my girlfriend at the same time. Where/when would be a
good idea? We'd like it to be quite private, though, so not in a
restaurant.

Shades of "Sleepless in Seattle"! At the observation deck atop the Empire
State Building, of course!

Old August 21st, 2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Thomas Wentworth

Let's see ... NY, NE,,, propose // girlfriend // ... where and when ???

Do you have a pre-nup? If not, I propose you wait.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:50:05 GMT, "k" wrote:

Take a Hansom (horse-drawn) cab ride thru Central Park just before dusk.
You can propose while the city lights up around you.

Or if you're a bit of a tightwad, on the Staten Island ferry at
sunset.

"We were very tired and very merry.
We went back and forth all night on the ferry."

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

.. .

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_1_]

Pre-nups are for wussies. My mom and dad got married during WW II, when
nobody had heard of such a thing -- not even the lawyers. They have
been married happily these 66 years.

If you want someplace quiet to pop the question and you're going to New
England. Book a nice Bed & Breakfast in the country. Find somewhere
that you can get some wine, cheese and crusty country bread. Find out
from the innkeeper the location of a scenic spot. Make sure that it
isn't frequented by bears. Find a nice spot to set up your private wine
and cheese party. Be sure you have two glasses and some cloth napkins.
Fold the napkins so they fit the glasses. Do this beforehand when she's
in the bathroom showering or something. Wrap the ring inside the folds
of her napkin before putting it in the glass. So she doesn't possibly
loose the ring when she pulls the napkin out. Tell her to do it
carefully, that you've placed a surprise keepsake of your trip with her
inside. Or, if she's a neat and careful girl not likely to yank the
napkin out quickly -- say nothing until she finds it. Just be sure that
you do this over a picnic blanket or table cloth.

Or, if you want to do it in NYC may I suggest Top Of The Rock, the newly
opened observation deck at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. It's open in the
evenings, you'll need tickets - see if you can get tickets around sunset.

Another possibility is in front of the Temple of Den-dur from Egypt in
the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or in the New York Botanical Garden.
The Botanical Garden is several gardens in one. Just walk around until
you find a spot that works for you.