Can anyone tell me where this location is?

Old June 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Can anyone tell me where this location is?

I was wondering if anyone would know where this place is? I suspect
Arizona or Utah, but am not sure. We would dearly love to visit that
spot.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg

thanks and regards.

Old June 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
catalpa

wrote in message
On Jun 7, 8:24 am, " wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know where this place is? I suspect
Arizona or Utah, but am not sure. We would dearly love to visit that
spot.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg

thanks and regards.

lake powell?b

I agree with Lake Powell in Utah/Arizona. Lake Mead doesn't have the red
rock, but also has the drought.

Old June 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

"catalpa" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Jun 7, 8:24 am, "
wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know where this place is? I
suspect
Arizona or Utah, but am not sure. We would dearly love to
visit that
spot.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg

thanks and regards.

lake powell?b

I agree with Lake Powell in Utah/Arizona. Lake Mead doesn't
have the
red rock, but also has the drought.

Oh yes, Lake Powell! Beautiful isn't it even with low water?

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old June 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

wrote in message
On Jun 7, 8:24 am, " wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know where this place is? I suspect
Arizona or Utah, but am not sure. We would dearly love to visit that
spot.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg

thanks and regards.

lake powell?b

I agree with Lake Powell in Utah/Arizona. Lake Mead doesn't have the
red rock, but also has the drought.

Oh yes, Lake Powell! Beautiful isn't it even with low water?

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Lake Powell is gorgeous for sure. To the OP, the easiest access to the lake
is in Page Arizona. The lake is larger there, and you can take a tour boat
out on the lake or rent your own boat. Your picture is from the upper
reaches in Utah where the few access points are primitive. Lord knows how
you'd launch a boat there with the water so low. We were there just two
years ago and thought the water was low, but this is really something.

Keith

Old June 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

k wrote:

Lake Powell is gorgeous for sure. To the OP, the easiest access to the lake
is in Page Arizona. The lake is larger there, and you can take a tour boat
out on the lake or rent your own boat. Your picture is from the upper
reaches in Utah where the few access points are primitive. Lord knows how
you'd launch a boat there with the water so low. We were there just two
years ago and thought the water was low, but this is really something.

Lake Powell is most beautiful when the water is low. Google "Cathedral in the Desert".
The water level is currently about 50 feet too high for it to be fully exposed.

When you visit Page, be sure to visit Antelope Canyon (either part). This is
right outside town, next to the power plant. It's one of the most amazing
places on earth. Small, but amazing. Go well before midday. There are fewer people
and the lighting is better (but the upper one has no "shaft of light".

Doug McDonald
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Eugene Miya" wrote in message
In article eXz2k.3074$Xu2.2346@trnddc04,
James Silverton not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not wrote:
On Jun 7, 8:24 am, "
wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know where this place is? I
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg

Oh yes, Lake Powell! Beautiful isn't it even with low water?

The bath tub ring looks pretty ugly to me. It bleached away the color
of the rock. Abbey was ****ed and likely Brower. It's not clear what
happened to the plants on the right.

--

The rocks are not bleached, the color change is deposits from the water. It
is desert. The plants only grow where they can get water, so is most likely

Old June 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg
What sure looks like the same picture was in National Geographic a
couple of years ago, in an article called "Lake Powell Revealed."
Said revelation came from a long dry spell combined with water
demands that drained it down quite a bit, revealing everything from
long-submerged terrain features to sunken boats now high and dry.
Photographer Michael Melford is credited.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ng...ine_extra.html

The site has some other written materials besides the main article,
tips for planning a visit, and (of course) a number of memorable
pictures.

Enjoy your trip,
--Joe
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jun 9, 5:24*pm, Ad absurdum per aspera
wrote:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cill/where.jpg
What sure looks like the same picture *was in National Geographic a
couple of years ago, in an article called "Lake Powell Revealed."
Said revelation came from a *long dry spell combined with *water
demands that *drained it down quite a bit, revealing everything from
long-submerged terrain features to sunken boats now high and dry.
Photographer Michael Melford is credited.http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ng...ine_extra.html

The site has some other written materials besides the main article,
tips for planning a visit, and (of course) a number of memorable
pictures.

Enjoy your trip,
--Joe

Thanks everyone! We are adding it into the itinerary and are checking
out the info and links provided. Appreciated. My friend is excited to
have this info! (big time!)....