Non-traveler needing air travel advice

Old November 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

Default Non-traveler needing air travel advice

For a first time traveler or even an experienced traveler, your best bet
is a seasoned travel agent.

Sound advice -- especially as we come up on the traditionally very
busy Thanksgiving travel rush.

My (mis)understanding is that domestic bereavement or compassionate
fares have to some extent fallen by the wayside in the increasingly
hard-nosed and low-margin world of air travel. But a good travel
agent would know -- and as others have pointed out, would also have
access to insider knowledge about any other special deals that might
be available.

You might also have access to some of this kind of service through one
of your credit cards or the auto club.

Speaking of which, is driving a possibility for you? It's one long
day or two easy ones, and if you have a reliable car that gets good
highway mileage (or can get a deal on an unlimited-mileage weeklong
rental), the cost could be fairly competitive with air travel.

For calibration purposes: A round trip in the mid $300 range is not
bad for short-notice purchase at a busy time of year. I'd be happy
to get a thousand-mile domestic flight for $200 RT even with
substantial advance purchase or some sort of special sale. Expect
to be locked into dates and times if you go for a deep-discount fare
-- airlines are happy to give you all the flexibility you're willing
to pay for.

With sympathies and best wishes,
--Joe
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peetie Wheatstraw

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:51:56 -0800, SMS wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:01:09 -0800, SMS wrote:

Sidestep is about the best you can do.

Hmmmm.

However remember that Southwest
flies from St. Louis to Tampa, and they don't appear on Sidestep, so
check them separately.

I did. What I got(depart 11-16-08 return 11-19-08):

US Airways - $355 (via Sidestep)

SW with all (?) fees - $590

But the Sidestep/USA quote doesn't include Gawd-knows-what-all BS fees?
How does one compare?

The hard part is the three days notice.

I know, I know. :-(

Southwest can sometimes be much cheaper, but it is often no bargain. SW
has fares as low as $89 each way for that route, but not with 3 days notice.

So US Air is $235 cheaper than SW. This is ~40% cheaper. Such
differentials are common?

Are outfits like Orbitz and US Air reliable? Any Gotcha's?? I
know about baggage fees (maybe $15).

I recently went from the SF Bay Area to Las Vegas for a trade show, on 1
days notice, and U.S. Air was the cheapest by far. I had no checked
bags, and I didn't buy one of their drinks.

If water's still free, that's all I'll be drinking. :-)

Thx,
Peetie
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

If water's still free, that's all I'll be drinking. :-)

I don't think they have free water. You can buy bottled water.

I take a Nalgene bottle, or a stainless steel thermos, empty, through
security, then fill it up at the water fountain past security.
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

Southwest still gives out free non alcoholic drinks and a bag of
pretzels. Don't know about US Air. How do you mean reliable?
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:25 AM
RossTaylor RossTaylor is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetie Wheatstraw View Post
Hi,

I am a (senior) terminal-homebody, new to this forum. Have avoided
air travel like the Black Plague for many years. Even before 9/11
and the buggering of free movement and lockdown of the "free
society", large planes were all flying cattle cars for me.

I can't avoid it any longer. Dear relative is dying. I must arrange
round-trip St. Louis - Tampa, FL, hotel, car, etc on perhaps 3 day
notice, about 3 days stay.

So I go to a site like www.farecompare.com, and it commits unnatural
acts with my browser, and I sense that the info/prices displayed
aren't 100% of the story. Sidestep.com was a little better, but ...

Any/all advice re cutting thru the hype, securing reasonable fares,
etc would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Peetie
For a first time traveler or even an experienced traveler, your best bet
is a seasoned travel agent. Travel bots can't take the time to listen
to your specific needs. They can't help you out if you show up at the
hotel or car rental finding out they have no reservation for you and
everything is booked.
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rudy[_1_]

I can't avoid it any longer. Dear relative is dying. I must arrange
round-trip St. Louis - Tampa, FL, hotel, car, etc on perhaps 3 day
notice,

You are going to take a "hit" by booking less tha7/14 days ahead. Have you
considered a visit BEFORE the event ?

That said, I ve been getting the best fares to TPA ( from AZ) on
www.continental.com
You could also check www.southwest.com or www.orbitz.com

Old November 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

I can't avoid it any longer. Dear relative is dying. I must
arrange round-trip St. Louis - Tampa, FL, hotel, car, etc.
on perhaps 3 day notice,

----------------
Just saw this and want to say that...
Last Summer, I got word that my Aunt was on the way out,
but we did not wait for it to happen. We booked our flights
40 days out, saving enuff on airfare that both my wife and I
could go and say our good-byes. She passed away as we
we heading back to the airport. I am much happier that we
did it that way, even though we could not stay for services.

If attending the funeral is more important, a few airlines still
offer berevement fares. What I would do is go to the STL
airport website or a meta-search engine www.kayak.com,
get the names of all the airlines that fly that route and then
check their websites or call them to see if they do and how
to book.

Old November 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Renfred Renfred is offline
[...]

southwest is great! i've flown them before! i'd definitely recommend it!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

Agents don't get commission for booking airfare.

I was under the impression that most agents now charge a fee for
booking flights.

James