Family is flown 2,000 miles the wrong way

Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Chad and Olga Chu-Choo

Default Family is flown 2,000 miles the wrong way

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle4374973.ece

From The Times
July 22, 2008
Family is flown 2,000 miles the wrong way
Jack Malvern

A family setting off on a five-star holiday travelled 2,000 miles out
of their way after they were given boarding passes for the wrong
flight.

Charlie Coray, his wife, Tania, and daughter, Phoebe, 9, were caught
in a mix-up at a check-in desk before their week's holiday in the
Canary Islands.The family realised the mistake only after the plane
landed and the air stewardess announced: “Welcome to Turkey”.

An investigation was started after it emerged that the family were
given the wrong boarding passes at Cardiff airport for their holiday
in Lanzarote. Mrs Coray, 44, a teacher, said: “It was unbelievable. I
know they send luggage to the wrong places but not people.”

Mr Coray, 47, an engineer, said: “It was about 6.30 in the morning
when we arrived at Cardiff airport and we were directed to the check-
in desk. We did not realise that more than one flight was being
checked in there. We were half-asleep. When we were called to the gate
we gave them our boarding passes, got on the plane and fell asleep.”

The Corays, from Llanishen, Cardiff, had booked an all-inclusive
holiday with First Choice in a five-star hotel. Instead they arrived
at Bodrum airport where they had to pay a £10 visa charge per person
before boarding a plane back to Cardiff.

They have accepted First Choice's offer of a holiday in Ibiza because
they could not get a flight to Lanzarote. A spokesman for the handling
agents Servisair apologised and said that the staff member who
accepted them on to the wrong flight had been suspended pending a
hearing. A spokeswoman for First Choice said that an investigation was
under way and that the Coray family would be refunded in full for any
additional expenses incurred.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Shawn Hirn wrote:

[]
Mistakes happen, but I am surprised no one in that family bothered to
actually read their boarding passes when they received them.

They claimed to have done that, but said that it simply said "Bodrum"
and they didn't know it was in Turkey. They knew they were going to
Lanzarote, but it's not entirely unbelievable that they thought Bodrum
was just the airport 'on Lanzarote' that they were flying to.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Gregory Morrow[_47_]

"Chad and Olga Chu-Choo" wrote:

From The Times
July 22, 2008
Family is flown 2,000 miles the wrong way
Jack Malvern

A family setting off on a five-star holiday travelled 2,000 miles out
of their way after they were given boarding passes for the wrong
flight.

Charlie Coray, his wife, Tania, and daughter, Phoebe, 9, were caught
in a mix-up at a check-in desk before their week's holiday in the
Canary Islands.The family realised the mistake only after the plane
landed and the air stewardess announced: “Welcome to Turkey”.

An investigation was started after it emerged that the family were
given the wrong boarding passes at Cardiff airport for their holiday
-----------------------

GM replies:

And here all along I thought these sorts of cock - ups normally happened
only at Manchester, viz...:

http://www.airlinequality.com/main/forum.htm

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/malta.htm

AIR MALTA review : 22 July 2008 : by M Willis

"My friend and I experienced severe delays travelling with this airline via
Lat Charter. We travelled from Manchester/Corfu return. The outbound leg was
delayed by hours and once on board we were told it was due to cabin crew
going sick at the last minute. The return journey was hell. On arrival at
check in at 18.00 hrs local time we were greeted with a sign on the desk
advising of an approx 6 hour delay. This transpired into excess of 10 hours,
finally departing at 4.40am local time. The reasons were explained again on
board the aircraft this time being due to technical failure of the aircraft
the day before, and in addition having to wait in Corfu for the airport in
Venice to open at 06.00am to land for fuel en route to Manchester. In
addition to this massive inconvenience there was no meal service on board on
either flight, only bacon rolls on offer which had to be paid for. I would
not recommend anyone to book a cheap ticket with this airline...."

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/turkish.htm

TURKISH AIRLINES review : 15 July 2008 : by A Ahmed

"MAN-IST round Trip. The plane hadn't been cleaned properly. Food one of the
plus points, was quite good - Turkish on the way there and more standard
European food on the way back. There are two choices usually chicken or
pasta and whilst all meals are halal, no vegetarian option seems to be
offered. The main problem were Turkish Airlines staff. The male stewards
were by in large friendly and helpful. The stewardesses however on both
flights, were moody, and unapproachable - God help you if you're a muslim
woman wearing headscarf though, I was travelling with my mum and sister, the
stewardesses seemed to take exception to this and as a result seemed to
treat them with contempt and rudeness. This blatant prejudice, has put me
off flying with them again. All staff on the flight had a poor grasp of
English, speaking with little clarity - announcements were rarely
understood. Also they seem to have a problem understanding that some people
take milk with their tea, I know its not the done thing in Turkey, but one
would assume they are well travelled personnel and should be used to such
requests. Turkish Airlines have the equipment and means to be a good
airline, but are let down by staff who spoil an otherwise good journey. They
are a poor reflection on the Star Alliance, if this is the quality of
service they deem satisfactory..."

/

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Flying Higher

David Horne wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:

[]
Mistakes happen, but I am surprised no one in that family bothered to
actually read their boarding passes when they received them.

They claimed to have done that, but said that it simply said "Bodrum"
and they didn't know it was in Turkey. They knew they were going to
Lanzarote, but it's not entirely unbelievable that they thought Bodrum
was just the airport 'on Lanzarote' that they were flying to.

Jeez, and you are always nagging on that us Yanks are a bunch of dullards...

Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Lester

"MRDPE" wrote in
:

Chad and Olga Chu-Choo wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...icle4374973.ec

From The Times
July 22, 2008
[...]

Wow! And he was an engineer! :-)

--
MRDPE

http://TheProfessionalEngineer.com

------=_NextPart_000_00F3_01C8EC51.A061F6E0
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-

1252"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.16674" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVChad and Olga Chu-Choo wrote:BR> A
href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article4374973.

ece"http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/arti
cle4374973.ece/ABR>
BR> From The TimesBR> July 22, 2008BR> Family is

flown 2,000
miles the wrong wayBR> Jack MalvernBR> BR> A family

setting off
on a five-star holiday travelled 2,000 miles outBR> of their

way after they
were given boarding passes for the wrongBR> flight.BR>

Charlie Coray, his wife, Tania, and daughter, Phoebe, 9, were

caughtBR> in
a mix-up at a check-in desk before their week's holiday in

theBR> Canary
Islands.The family realised the mistake only after the

planeBR> landed and
the air stewardess announced: “Welcome to Turkey”.BR>

BR> An
investigation was started after it emerged that the family

wereBR> given
the wrong boarding passes at Cardiff airport for their

holidayBR> in
Lanzarote. Mrs Coray, 44, a teacher, said: “It was unbelievable.

IBR> know
they send luggage to the wrong places but not people.”BR>

BR> Mr
Coray, 47, an engineer, said: “It was about 6.30 in the

morningBR> when we
arrived at Cardiff airport and we were directed to the check-

BR> in desk.
We did not realise that more than one flight was beingBR>

checked in there.
We were half-asleep. When we were called to the gateBR> we

gave them our
boarding passes, got on the plane and fell asleep.”BR>

BR> The Corays,
from Llanishen, Cardiff, had booked an all-inclusiveBR>

holiday with First
Choice in a five-star hotel. Instead they arrivedBR> at

Bodrum airport
where they had to pay a £10 visa charge per personBR> before

boarding a
plane back to Cardiff.BR> BR> They have accepted First

Choice's offer
of a holiday in Ibiza becauseBR> they could not get a flight

to Lanzarote.
A spokesman for the handlingBR> agents Servisair apologised

and said that
the staff member whoBR> accepted them on to the wrong flight

had been
suspended pending aBR> hearing. A spokeswoman for First

Choice said that an
investigation wasBR> under way and that the Coray family

would be refunded
in full for anyBR> additional expenses incurred.BR/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial/FONTBRFONT

face=ArialSTRONGWow!  And he was
an engineer! :-)/STRONG /FONTBRBR-- BRMRDPEBRBRA
href="http://TheProfessionalEngineer.com"http://TheProfessionalEn

gineer.com/ABR/DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_00F3_01C8EC51.A061F6E0--

WOW HTML

Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Shawn Hirn wrote:
..

Mistakes happen, but I am surprised no one in that family bothered to
actually read their boarding passes when they received them.

And failed to understand boarding announcement.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

MRDPE wrote:

Wow! And he was an engineer! :-)

I woulnd't want to be on that train.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to Shawn Hirn

Mistakes happen, but I am surprised no one in that family bothered to
actually read their boarding passes when they received them.

or look at the name above the gate or on the departure board. I suppose if
you only travel once a year to a beach you might not recognise it.
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to mrtravel

Wow! And he was an engineer! :-)

I woulnd't want to be on that train.

Train? I note his partner is a teacher! Lets guess destination was
Tenerife. It might have said "Reina Sofia" (TFS). "Los Rodeos"(TFN) should
be a give away to a teacher.
--
remove clothing to email