Luggage advice/info sought

Old January 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Default Luggage advice/info sought

William Black wrote:

"der gediegene dgs"
wrote in message ...

You're picking at some awful tiny nits, and
you still haven't disproved my notion that it's quite easy to pack for
travel and not have to bother with check-in.

Well you're still going to have to go to check-in to have your documents
checked and your carry-on weighed.

When did they start weighing carry-ons? The last time I flew was in
September and they weren't weighing them.
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"SMS" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

"der gediegene dgs"
wrote in message ...

You're picking at some awful tiny nits, and
you still haven't disproved my notion that it's quite easy to pack for
travel and not have to bother with check-in.

Well you're still going to have to go to check-in to have your documents
checked and your carry-on weighed.

When did they start weighing carry-ons? The last time I flew was in
September and they weren't weighing them.

They weigh them in Europe. You forget that this is not strictly a US group.

Old January 17th, 2009, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
SMS wrote:
When did they start weighing carry-ons? The last time I flew was in
September and they weren't weighing them.

Airlines based in Asia do have carry-on weight limits (often 7kg or so).
Weighing of carry-ons seems to happen only occasionally, though.
Timothy J. Lee
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"SMS" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

"der gediegene dgs"
wrote in message ...

You're picking at some awful tiny nits, and
you still haven't disproved my notion that it's quite easy to pack for
travel and not have to bother with check-in.

Well you're still going to have to go to check-in to have your documents
checked and your carry-on weighed.

When did they start weighing carry-ons? The last time I flew was in
September and they weren't weighing them.

Try flying from an airport not in the Americas.

In the past year or so I've flown from a variety of airports in Europe, the
Middle and Far East and only once has my carry-on not been weighed.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
the real dgs

On 1/16/2009 9:21 AM William Black ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

"der gediegene dgs"
wrote in message ...

You're picking at some awful tiny nits, and
you still haven't disproved my notion that it's quite easy to pack for
travel and not have to bother with check-in.

Well you're still going to have to go to check-in to have your documents
checked and your carry-on weighed.

I flew SEA-BRU via CPH last September. Went to an e-ticket kiosk, got
my seat passes, went to the gate, got on. No weighing of carry-on at
any point in the process.
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
the real dgs

On 1/17/2009 8:47 AM William Black ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

Try flying from an airport not in the Americas.

In the past year or so I've flown from a variety of airports in Europe,
the Middle and Far East and only once has my carry-on not been weighed.

I flew VIE-IAD-SEA last October. Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Flew BRU-IAD-SEA last March. Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Etc.

Just luck o' the draw, I guess.
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rupa Bose www.rupabose.org

On Jan 17, 2:08*pm, the real dgs "d?g
wrote:
On 1/17/2009 8:47 AM William Black ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

Try flying from an airport not in the Americas.

In the past year or so I've flown from a variety of airports in Europe, *
the Middle and Far East and only once has my carry-on not been weighed.

I flew VIE-IAD-SEA last October. *Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Flew BRU-IAD-SEA last March. *Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Etc.

Just luck o' the draw, I guess.

Just flew Singapore-SFO, didn't have my carry-on weighed, but a
relative who flew DEL-Singapore told me she did. She had to move some
stuff from her carry-on to her check-in.
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

wrote:
On 1/17/2009 8:47 AM William Black ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

Try flying from an airport not in the Americas.
In the past year or so I've flown from a variety of airports in Europe,
the Middle and Far East and only once has my carry-on not been weighed.

I flew VIE-IAD-SEA last October. Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Flew BRU-IAD-SEA last March. Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Etc.

Just luck o' the draw, I guess.

Just flew Singapore-SFO, didn't have my carry-on weighed, but a
relative who flew DEL-Singapore told me she did. She had to move some
stuff from her carry-on to her check-in.

Taipei to SF, no weighing of carry-on.

Rome to SF, no weighing of carry-on.

Maybe it's only on flights _within_ Europe or Asia.
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

wrote:
On 1/17/2009 8:47 AM William Black ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

Try flying from an airport not in the Americas.
In the past year or so I've flown from a variety of airports in Europe,
the Middle and Far East and only once has my carry-on not been weighed.
I flew VIE-IAD-SEA last October. Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Flew BRU-IAD-SEA last March. Didn't have my carry-on weighed.

Etc.

Just luck o' the draw, I guess.

Just flew Singapore-SFO, didn't have my carry-on weighed, but a
relative who flew DEL-Singapore told me she did. She had to move some
stuff from her carry-on to her check-in.

Taipei to SF, no weighing of carry-on.

Rome to SF, no weighing of carry-on.

Maybe it's only on flights _within_ Europe or Asia.

Well at Bombay International every flight I've ever taken, both
international to Europe or the Middle East and internal for the past three
years, the carry-ons have been weighed.

Also at Newcastle in the UK late last year on a flight to Dubai.

They didn't get weighed at Manchester about three weeks ago on a flight to
Paris though.

--
William Black

Time for tea.