Mexico Currency

Old August 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Bob Phillips

Default Mexico Currency

My daughter is going to the Cancun area in September.

Should she take Mexican pesetas or US dollars, cash or cheques?

TIA

Bob

Old August 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected][_1_]

Yes, let her bring some mexican pesetas, maybe she can get a good
exchange rate for the US yen.

Now seriously, your daughter can bring US dollars, most hotels,
airports, restaurants, tours, etc. will take them in Cancun, but I
would say a credit card would be prefered over cash (VISA, MC, Amex are
OK), and use any ATM to get pesos for street expenses, the exchange
rate is about 1 dll ~ 10.80 pesos.

Good luck

Old August 24th, 2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Bob Phillips

Despite my lamentable currency knowledge, you have been most helpful.

BTW we will not bring USD as we are UK based, but when I just recall a
friend going to Cancun in the 80's and he said it was like an American
outpost, so I thought dollars might be their preferred tender.

Thanks again

Bob

ups.com...

Old August 24th, 2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Richard Ferguson

If you are from the UK, all the more reason to use credit cards and
ATMs. If it makes you feel better, you can buy 30 pounds worth of pesos
before you leave, but I just plan to get pesos at the airport. Cancun
airport will surely have money exchange, and probably ATMs as well. If
you arrival time is in the middle of the night, perhaps the money
exchange might be closed.

Richard

Bob Phillips wrote:
Despite my lamentable currency knowledge, you have been most helpful.

BTW we will not bring USD as we are UK based, but when I just recall a
friend going to Cancun in the 80's and he said it was like an American
outpost, so I thought dollars might be their preferred tender.

Thanks again

Bob

ups.com...

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected][_1_]

Or you can buy some pesos at "Casas de cambio" , I've found this on
line with an office in Cancun, maybe you can check in advance what is
more conviniant:

http://www.tiber.com.mx/sucursales.htm

Good luck

Bob Phillips wrote:
Despite my lamentable currency knowledge, you have been most helpful.

BTW we will not bring USD as we are UK based, but when I just recall a
friend going to Cancun in the 80's and he said it was like an American
outpost, so I thought dollars might be their preferred tender.

Thanks again

Bob

ups.com...

Old August 24th, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:
My daughter is going to the Cancun area in September.

Should she take Mexican pesetas or US dollars, cash or cheques?

TIA

Bob

You can exchange your pounds for pesos at any cambio in Cancun. Rates will
vary slightly, but it's not worth the effort to find the 'best' exchange.
You'll earn pennies at best, surely not enough to make a search worthwhile.
That said, hotels are not likely to give you the best rate.

You will need pesos, there's no doubt, but like others have said, you'll do
best with your credit card where you can use it. However, you'll want cash
for purchases from vendors, and for things like an ice cream, or a
newspaper, or a cab ride.

We normally exchange either $US20 or 40 at a time depending on our immediate
plans, and just get more pesos when we're low. Coins are the hardest things
to hang onto, and are also the most useful for tips and such. Those you can
get from a hotel cashier.

Keith

Old August 25th, 2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
chanty

Hi Bob,
I live very close to Cancun and I recommend your daughter to bring a
few US dollars or Mexican pesos just for arrival. The best way to get
pesos is from ATMs. They sometimes also offer withdrawl of US dollars.
US dollars are accepted almost everywhere in and around Cancun, but you
often get better prices paying in Mexican pesos.
There is a ATM machine at Cancun airport. If her vacation package
doesn´t include a transfer to her hotel, she will need money for a
taxi, so in case she doesn't want to take USd or Mex. pesos from home,
she can use her bank / credit card right upon arrival in the departure
hall of Cancun airport.
ATMs arround here accept Visa, Mastercard, Cirrus or Maestro.
Hope she has a great time in Cancun!

Old August 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Bob Phillips wrote:
Should she take Mexican pesetas or US dollars, cash or cheques?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are trolling, right?
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Tom Peel[_1_]

Bob Phillips schrieb:
My daughter is going to the Cancun area in September.

Should she take Mexican pesetas or US dollars, cash or cheques?

TIA

Bob

They're Pesos, not pesetas. And the currency symbol for the Peso is the
same as the US dollar sign.
One of the funniest things I saw in Mexico was an American tourist
push the $100 button on an ATM and out came.. a 100 Peso note. You
should have seen his face.

T.