ATM Access

Old November 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Binkie

Default ATM Access

Hi John,

What about traveller's cheques?

Bianca.

Old November 14th, 2005, 08:51 PM
JohnM

In article .com,
Binkie writes
Hi John,

What about traveller's cheques?

Didn't carry any TCs in Oz or NZ for this trip, so I don't know, sorry.

--
JohnM
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:23 AM
A Mate

TC's aren't used much any more. Some stores and hotels etc just won't know
how to deal with them. They should be treated like cash, except that you
need photo id (passport is best). Banks will always cash them. Most issuers
have an agreement with one bank at least to cash them commision free.

If you go the TC route - be sure to get AUD cheques (American Express among
others sells them worldwide). Be aware that many issuers will charge you
commission to sell them - typically 1%.

oups.com...

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

I'll second the general thrust of the thread - ie "no worries, mate, she'll
be right."

Beware of the following
- the bank fees (from YOUR bank) for currency exchange rates (usually not
favourable) and flat fees - IME, it's beneficial to make a couple
transactions rather than withdraw $20 half a dozen times a day
- you might consider putting a credit balance on your Visa or MC and using
that for cash advances - since most cards charge advances before purchase
charges, if you have a credit balance you won't get stung for the usurious
interest fees, and you will get a slightly better exchange (and maybe even a
better flat fee)
- you've heard of skimming scams here in Canada - I'm not sure how
prevalent, if at all, these are in Aus, but I'd stick with ATMs at
well-located banks.
- for the first couple transactions, use a bank ATM during business hours in
case there are any dramas. I once had a card "swallowed" because it was a
first o/s transaction and it would have been cute had it been an
inconvenient hour.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be in Oz in January thru March 06 and do not want to travel with
a lot of cash on my person. At home I use ATMs all the time to get
cash only when I need it. I was wondering if the ATMs in Oz supported
Interac, Plus or Cirrus which are common here in Canada to allow use of
ATMs from any bank without having to find an ATM for my 'home bank'. I
will be travelling from Melbourne to Cairns then to Tazmania before
heading back to Oz for a tour that goes to Aires Rock, Alice Springs
and then up to Darwin before heading back south and over to NZ for a
tour of both South and North island. I assume that the ATM service in
NZ will be the same as it is for Oz, or is this wishful thinking on my
part. Thanks in advance for your info.

Jiggs

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Also, most major banks will be able to order AUD cash on a couple days's
notice. The exchange rate sucks but if you order enough, it works out
OK.....personally I hate carrying any meaningful amount of cash, but it's
another option. If you are flying into some backblocks as a first point of
entry, it might be worth consideration in case the airport's ONE ATM is down
and the cash counter is closed at 0300.

Personally, I keep enough AUD cash from the "last" trip to keep me for a day
or two on the "next" trip (ie. fare from airport to town and some
incidentals) in case something goes haywire - by then, I've been able to
arrange for whatever I need.

The old saw about keeping a little bit stashed away for absolute emergencies
(lost or stolen wallet and cards, etc.) also has a bit of merit.
"JohnM" wrote in message
In article .com,
writes
I will be in Oz in January thru March 06 and do not want to travel with
a lot of cash on my person.

Sorry it's going to cost you.

ATMs, as other posters have said, will accept withdrawals but there will
be a charge which cumulatively increases the longer you stay and
withdraw money. In my 3 months (I calculated) I could have saved £100.

If you are asking this question, you are probably on a tight budget. You
will save a lot of money if you DON'T use your card and you DO travel
with a lot of cash on your person.

--
JohnM