SIM Cards in Paris

Old April 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
El

Default SIM Cards in Paris

Where's the best place to get a SIM card for my US phone that will give me
the best local Parisian rates?

Many thanks!

Old April 24th, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_1_]

El wrote:

Where's the best place to get a SIM card for my US phone that will give me
the best local Parisian rates?

Is your US phone an unlocked tri- or quad-band?
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
El

Yes, I just had it unlocked today and it is a quad band

Old April 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
www.hostel.me.uk

"El" wrote in message
Where's the best place to get a SIM card for my US phone that will give me
the best local Parisian rates?

Many thanks!

You will need a unlocked cell phone if its a USA cell phone you will need a
Triband or Quadband phone that is unlocked.
You will have to show proof of French address in France if you whant to buy
sim or phone in France. can
I can get hold of french sim for you if you want.
Ta

--
www.poms.co.uk Global backpacking forum.

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php Global sim cards & Satellite
Phones.

Old April 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
El

I've never heard of having to show proof of a local address to buy a SIM
card. Why would they care?

I want to know where I can buy one in person in Paris locally.

Thanks

Old April 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

El wrote:

I've never heard of having to show proof of a local address to buy a SIM
card. Why would they care?

It's just another example of social control. If they have your address,
then you can't make anonymous calls to denounce politicians who are
cheating on their wives, or to report police brutality.

Next things are video cameras in Internet cafés, based on the fatuous
(and let's face it .. ****ing hilarious) claim that Al'Queda might use
them to 'reactivate sleeper cells'.

France stands on the brink. In two weeks, she might still be the
beautiful, quirky nation that I love like a mistress, where you can
still walk down the street holding a man's hand if he's your lover, and
where there's still the basic (sadly all too basic) safety net so that
the poor and the weak can still eat, wash and maintain the basic dignity
that is their birthright.

Or she will be a police state where ultra-right-wing morals pass for
absolutes, where the separation between religion and state is blurred,
and where if you can't feed yourself, you'll die of hunger.

Make no mistake: the darkness facing France is as terrible and ominous
as that which she knew in May 1940. This time, there will be no one to
liberate her.

Y.
(French citizen, Jew, and humanist)

--
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
AADP's 'left-wing Jewish intellectual'
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

El wrote:

I want to know where I can buy one in person in Paris locally.

In most tabacs, but as the man says, you'll now need proof of address.

Y.

Old April 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:

It's just another example of social control. If they have your address,
then you can't make anonymous calls to denounce politicians who are
cheating on their wives

Maybe 'politicians who are milking the taxpayer' would have been a
better example.

Y.

Old April 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
El

Not to sound stupid, but what kind of proof? I'm renting an apartment -
would my receipt suffice?

Thanks

Old April 24th, 2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

El wrote:

Not to sound stupid, but what kind of proof? I'm renting an apartment -
would my receipt suffice?

It might. It's really a load of crap, actually, as when I bought one in
2003, I used my national ID card, and that had my former address on it.
Still .. the principle is the same: they could find me if I 'stepped out
of line'.

Try your passport, plus the rental agreement or whatever it's called.

Thanks

No problem.

Y.