Naples?

Old October 9th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Juliana L Holm

Default Naples?

We're planning a trip to Italy next May. For two weeks we will be touring with
a group from our church, but my husband and I will be going 3 1/2 days early
and visiting Naples, because my grandfather was born there.

I have heard that there is a lot of petty theft in Naples. True? If so, any
suggestions, other than the obvious use of a moneybelt under the clothing, on
how to avoid it? I already have a moneybelt.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Juliana L Holm wrote in message
We're planning a trip to Italy next May. For two weeks we will be touring

with
a group from our church, but my husband and I will be going 3 1/2 days

early
and visiting Naples, because my grandfather was born there.

I have heard that there is a lot of petty theft in Naples. True? If so,

any
suggestions, other than the obvious use of a moneybelt under the clothing,

on
how to avoid it? I already have a moneybelt.

If you have spent time in the north of Italy, Naples can be one hell of a
shock when you first arrive. Population density is high, and the traffic is
chaotic beyond belief!!! Petty crime certainly exists. The locals
persistently warned me of the danger of pickpockets during my stay there.
Either way, Piazza Garibaldi outside the area outside of Stazione Centrale
is pretty rough. The nearby hotels can be very seedy. Just follow the usual
common sense advice regarding pickpockets, such as not looking too lost, and
not allowing yourself to become distracted. Don't leave anything unattended
around the station.

Mosts tourists pass through Naples on there way to more touristy places like
Capri and the Amalfi coast. You would not get bored there though. There is
plenty to do, and you will leave with some incredible images in your mind,
like 3 very stylishly dressed girls and a small dog flying around the narrow
streets on a single scooter! Food is excellent, as you would expect in any
part of Italy.

Have fun!
---
DFM

Old October 9th, 2003, 06:38 AM
tile

Let me inform you about something nice about
Naples.
first of all.. it is a wonderful town.

they have a special tourist card that you can buy
valid for one day or more days
that allows you to visit two museums at no cost
and all the other museums at 50% of the price.
they also have a special BUS called Musei
that will take you to all the museums of the town
at no cost ( only for people in possession of the tourist card)
while all the other public transports are free of charge.
there are many different cards.
one is valid only for naples
one is valid for naples and surrounding area.
The archeological museum is one of the best
of Italy. you will find there most of the things found in Pompei and most of
its frescoes.
there is a special room also for... sex symbols.. of the roman era..

I guess you can visit 3 museums per day
then there is Reggia di caserta.. ( Royal palace of
Caserta)
then Pompei and Ercolano easily reachable with local transports.
then again Ischia and Capri.. easily reachable
by different boat companies

( again.. the card will allow you some rebates on these transport means )

Neaples is a pleasant surprise..
It is really better than many towns that are reputed more important.
Of course.. there is danger of petty theft
( beware of people in motorbikes trying to snatch yr bag or yr watch.. and
so on.. )
Of course. there are vendors of everyhting on the streets.. but they will
not bother you.
But you will love the town.. and its food.
get addresses of good restaurants from yr hotel.-
as an Italian living in northern Italy.. I had a lot of prejudices about
the south
but Naples is really a very very very nice surprise

the Palazzo Reale can easily be compared with
versailles. in france..

not to forget.. the greek temples in paestum..
that you can reach by train in about 1.30 minutes.

they are better preserved than in greece

( you will see no greek temples in Greece..
unless you visit the Acropolis )

Old October 9th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
We're planning a trip to Italy next May. For two weeks we will be touring

with
a group from our church, but my husband and I will be going 3 1/2 days

early
and visiting Naples, because my grandfather was born there.

I have heard that there is a lot of petty theft in Naples. True? If so,

any
suggestions, other than the obvious use of a moneybelt under the clothing,

on
how to avoid it? I already have a moneybelt.

Julie

keep a small wallet with some cash and an out of date de-magnetised credit
card or two handy if you get mugged hand this over - hopefully they will
think it your real one and run off with it.

Old October 9th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Juliana L Holm

Miss L. Toe wrote:

keep a small wallet with some cash and an out of date de-magnetised credit
card or two handy if you get mugged hand this over - hopefully they will
think it your real one and run off with it.

What a good idea! I have a credit card that I lost, reported lost, then got
back (I had left it on Virgin Gorda, and someone mailed it back to me based on
the address on my drivers license. ) I can use that.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old October 9th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Miss L. Toe

Miss L. Toe wrote:

keep a small wallet with some cash and an out of date de-magnetised

credit
card or two handy if you get mugged hand this over - hopefully they will
think it your real one and run off with it.

What a good idea! I have a credit card that I lost, reported lost, then

got
back (I had left it on Virgin Gorda, and someone mailed it back to me

based on
the address on my drivers license. ) I can use that.

Julie

Run a strong magnet over the strip and destroy the signature - any mugger is
unlikely to check your signature - lol

Old October 10th, 2003, 08:41 AM
webpecker

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:38:18 GMT, "tile" wrote:

the Palazzo Reale can easily be compared with
versailles. in france..

no: it's the Reggia di Caserta (Royal Palace of Caserta)

I have heard that there is a lot of petty theft in Naples. True?

today, not more nor less than Paris or Rome...
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Alan Harrison

"webpecker" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:38:18 GMT, "tile" wrote:

the Palazzo Reale can easily be compared with
versailles. in france..

no: it's the Reggia di Caserta (Royal Palace of Caserta)

Well worth a trip. The gardens at Caserta are so huge that they have a bus
service around them!

I have heard that there is a lot of petty theft in Naples. True?

today, not more nor less than Paris or Rome...

I've never had a problem there. Just keep your wits about you and avoid
dodgy areas.

Alan Harrison

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:20 AM
st

On 8 Oct 2003 23:03:05 GMT, Juliana L Holm wrote:

We're planning a trip to Italy next May. For two weeks we will be touring with
a group from our church, but my husband and I will be going 3 1/2 days early
and visiting Naples, because my grandfather was born there.

I have heard that there is a lot of petty theft in Naples. True? If so, any
suggestions, other than the obvious use of a moneybelt under the clothing, on
how to avoid it? I already have a moneybelt.

I visited Napoli in August. Everbody said how dodgy and terrible it
was, but I had no problems. Sure, there are some shady characters
around- but nothing serious. Overblown.

Old November 27th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Dan Stephenson

On 8 Oct 2003 23:03:05 GMT, Juliana L Holm wrote:

We're planning a trip to Italy next May. For two weeks we will be touring
with
a group from our church, but my husband and I will be going 3 1/2 days early
and visiting Naples, because my grandfather was born there.

I have heard that there is a lot of petty theft in Naples. True? If so, any
suggestions, other than the obvious use of a moneybelt under the clothing, on
how to avoid it? I already have a moneybelt.

Wear your moneybelt always, and keep your bags held tight, across you
or on your back. Not on one shoulder.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from my 3-month European vacation and Wales 2003 at