Which Loch in Scotland is your favorite?

Old April 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan

Default Which Loch in Scotland is your favorite?

So I had mentioned earlier that I will be traveling to Scotland in
May. I will be mostly up in the Northern parts of Scotland and Isle of
Skye. What Lochs are the most beautiful? If any of you live in
Scotland, are there any locations that do not appear in your typical
travel guide that are breathtaking?

Post pictures of these places at my blog so I know what they look
like. Thanks! My blog is below:

http://european-explorer.blogspot.com/

-Dan

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

Dan wrote:

So I had mentioned earlier that I will be traveling to Scotland in
May. I will be mostly up in the Northern parts of Scotland and Isle of
Skye. What Lochs are the most beautiful?

Loch Ness is a bit touristy now (far too touristy, if you ask me), but
Fort William at its Southern tip, and Inverness at the Northern end,
really are very, very pretty places to go. You also have Glencoe (IIRC)
at the top, and there's a whisky distillery .. Glenfiddich, I believe,
which is worth the visit.

Y.

--
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
AADP's 'left-wing Jewish intellectual'
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton

Yitzhak wrote on Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:01:31 +0200:

?? So I had mentioned earlier that I will be traveling to
?? Scotland in May. I will be mostly up in the Northern parts
?? of Scotland and Isle of Skye. What Lochs are the most
?? beautiful?

YIG Loch Ness is a bit touristy now (far too touristy, if you
YIG ask me), but Fort William at its Southern tip, and
YIG Inverness at the Northern end, really are very, very
YIG pretty places to go. You also have Glencoe (IIRC) at the
YIG top, and there's a whisky distillery .. Glenfiddich, I
YIG believe, which is worth the visit.

Perhaps I'm prejudiced but I vote for Loch Etive. You can take
a ferry across it to Lismore (the great garden) and also along
the loch, from Taynuilt I think. Let's be honest, I was brought
up in Oban!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old April 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

James Silverton not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote:

Let's be honest, I was brought
up in Oban!

It could have been worse: you could have lived in Cumbernauld. :-|

Y.

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

So I had mentioned earlier that I will be traveling to Scotland in
May. I will be mostly up in the Northern parts of Scotland and Isle of
Skye. What Lochs are the most beautiful? If any of you live in
Scotland, are there any locations that do not appear in your typical
travel guide that are breathtaking?

Loch Eck. Long thin loch north of Dunoon.

And Loch Morar but that'll be in all the guidebooks anyway.

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
FredBear

"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote in message

Sorry to use your message to reply to but I dumped this poster many moons
ago and I only just saw this message from him in your post.

Yitzhak wrote on Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:01:31 +0200:

Loch Ness is a bit touristy now (far too touristy, if you
ask me), but Fort William at its Southern tip, and
Inverness at the Northern end, really are very, very
pretty places to go. You also have Glencoe (IIRC) at the
top, and there's a whisky distillery .. Glenfiddich, I
believe, which is worth the visit.

I think that a quick glimpse at a map before you burst into print would show
you that Fort William is at the North end of Loch Linnhe. A very long way
away from Loch Ness. On the other hand, Fort Augustus (Sounds similar?) is
at the Southern end of Loch Ness.

The Glenfiddich distillery is on the River Fiddich just South of a place
called Dufftown, in Morayshire, which is many miles, and two counties, to
the East of Loch Ness. In any case, it is really only fit for running
agricultural machinery on. It comes in a special three sided bottle so you
can't make a mistake in the dark and drink it thinking it is whisky. it
sells to the gullible only because of the large marketing expenditure. There
is another distillery near by which is owned by the same independent
distillers, William Grant & Sons Ltd, called Balvenie which is altogether a
better dram.

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

FredBear wrote:

I think that a quick glimpse at a map before you burst into print would show
you that Fort William is at the North end of Loch Linnhe. A very long way
away from Loch Ness. On the other hand, Fort Augustus (Sounds similar?) is
at the Southern end of Loch Ness.

I stand corrected.

Y.

Old April 10th, 2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On 9 Apr 2007 12:57:52 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

So I had mentioned earlier that I will be traveling to Scotland in
May. I will be mostly up in the Northern parts of Scotland and Isle of
Skye. What Lochs are the most beautiful? If any of you live in
Scotland, are there any locations that do not appear in your typical
travel guide that are breathtaking?

Post pictures of these places at my blog so I know what they look
like. Thanks! My blog is below:

http://european-explorer.blogspot.com/

-Dan

Loch Lomond, but that was over 60 years ago,
a short ride out from the Maryhill Barracks in Glasgow.
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_1_]

Dan wrote:

So I had mentioned earlier that I will be traveling to Scotland in
May. I will be mostly up in the Northern parts of Scotland and Isle of
Skye. What Lochs are the most beautiful? If any of you live in
Scotland, are there any locations that do not appear in your typical
travel guide that are breathtaking?

Loch Loyal.
Not actually a loch - it's open to the sea - the Kyle of Tongue.
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Dan wrote:

So I had mentioned earlier that I will be traveling to Scotland in
May. I will be mostly up in the Northern parts of Scotland and Isle of
Skye. What Lochs are the most beautiful?

Loch Maree is the most beautiful.
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)