US Airways - hotel if flight missed due to bad weather?

Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

Default US Airways - hotel if flight missed due to bad weather?

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 08:07:28 -0600, "Jeff" wrote:
SNIP
Frankly, I don't get the "domestic flight" allegation at all. I believe the
international treaty governing flights considers the entire trip as being
international, even the domestic "tag on" leg, provided that they are one
itinerary on one ticket. I'd go back to the insurance carrier with that
argument if they didn't accept the "public transport" provision. The actual
ticket was Salt Lake City - Chicago - London, which qualifies as an
international flight.

Hi

That was the basis of my original claim; the fact that it was one
itinerary on one ticket showing an International flight from Salt Lake
City to Manchester (UK), albeit with a change of planes in Chicago.
The fact that it was a single ticket and that both my wife and myself
plus our luggage were checked right through from Salt Lake City to
Manchester clearly demonstrated that.

The Insurance Company however insisted that they were two separate
flights and they would only pay out for failure of an International
flight. As the reason for missing the International flight - i.e.
from Chicago to Manchester, was failure of the INTERNAL flight - i.e.
from Salt Lake City to Chicago, and the International flight had
actually left Chicago on time, this meant I wasn't covered under the
relevant section of the policy.

After spending a few weeks going round in circles culminating in being
literally accused over the phone of deliberately making a fraudulent
claim I snapped, writing a letter addressed personally to the MD
pointing out that if they insisted the trip was in fact two separate
flights - SLC to Chicago and another flight Chicago to MAN - then they
MUST accept that the internal leg was therefore public transport to
the airport in order to catch my International flight and so I now
wished to claim under the "failure of public transport" section. At
that point they gave in and paid up - whilst still insisting my claim
was invalid.

In my letter to the MD I also complained about the attitude of his
staff and would like to think that the person who accused me of trying
to "rip them off" was reprimanded for his attitude - but I doubt it
somehow.

Regards

KGB

Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Nigel[_2_]

"KGB (KGB)" wrote in message
[...]

US Airways don't fly from Chicago to Manchester (they fly Philadelphia to
Manchester) - could this have been part of the basis for rejecting the
claim?

Nigel.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:11:17 -0000, "Nigel"
wrote:

SNIP
US Airways don't fly from Chicago to Manchester (they fly Philadelphia to
Manchester) - could this have been part of the basis for rejecting the
claim?

Hi Nigel

Slight confusion. I think the original poster was flying US Airways.
However, as stated in my previous posts in this thread, my wife and I
were in fact flying with American Airlines.

Regards
KGB

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Doug Weller

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:19:52 -0800, in rec.travel.air, mrtravel wrote:

JohnT wrote:
"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message mrtravel
wrote:

JohnT wrote:

But you could, of course, have made a claim on your Travel Insurance.

For a weather problem?

Mine does, unless the delay was in my home city (in which case there is
no hotel, obviously, although they will cover some ground
transportation), and fees for missed connections, the first day of a
hotel at the destination if the reservation isn't cancelable at the time
when I discover my flight has been canceled, etc.

What insurance company?

Mine is underwritten by Axa Insurance PLC which I think is one of the 3
largest Insurers in Europe.

It does seems to have a 100 GBP deductible, which is probably more than
I have ever spent for a weather delay.
http://www.axa.co.uk/travel/document...icyBooklet.pdf

That's what I discovered also. A day's delay would not normally cost that
much.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --