international prefixes for US phone numbers?

Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
yawnmoth

Default international prefixes for US phone numbers?

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_international_call_prefixes, the international prefix for the
US is 011. Does that mean that if I wanted to give someone in the UK
a US phone number, I'd give them 011-111-222-2222 (where 111 is the
area code and 222-2222 is the phone number)?
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

011 is the access code to call OUT from the U.S. For someone calling TO a
US (or Canadian) number, the Country Code is +1 (or just "1"). So to call a
number in the US or Canada, one would dial +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Makhno

yawnmoth wrote:
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_international_call_prefixes, the international prefix for the
US is 011. Does that mean that if I wanted to give someone in the UK
a US phone number, I'd give them 011-111-222-2222 (where 111 is the
area code and 222-2222 is the phone number)?

I'm still getting to grips with International calling, but if you want
to make it easy for them and give them the actual number they have to
tap into the phone, you need to give them
Access Code + Country Code + phone number
So for your example - I think - you give them

00 1 111 222 2222

The UK's access code (to dial out of the UK) is 00
The US country code is 1 (I don't know why wiki says 011)

I think that's right, but if not I'm sure someone will correct me.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

yawnmoth wrote:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_international_call_prefixes, the international prefix for the
US is 011. Does that mean that if I wanted to give someone in the UK
a US phone number, I'd give them 011-111-222-2222 (where 111 is the
area code and 222-2222 is the phone number)?

If that's what Wikipedia says, it's wrong. The International Country Code for
North America is 1, not 011. The 01 is a local code that means international
number follows.

The correct format for giving someone a US number is +1 xxx yyy zzz, where the +
means the person is supposed to substitute their local international access
number.

What makes this confusing for many North Americans is that "1" was commonly used
as a "Long Distance number follows" number.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

Makhno wrote:

I'm still getting to grips with International calling, but if you want
to make it easy for them and give them the actual number they have to
tap into the phone, you need to give them
Access Code + Country Code + phone number

No. The correct format is +1 xxx yyy zzz. You should not be telling someone what
their long distance access code is - just how to reach you.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:50:29 -0700, Rick Blaine
wrote:

Makhno wrote:

I'm still getting to grips with International calling, but if you want
to make it easy for them and give them the actual number they have to
tap into the phone, you need to give them
Access Code + Country Code + phone number

No. The correct format is +1 xxx yyy zzz. You should not be telling someone what
their long distance access code is - just how to reach you.

I'm not following you here. To call the US from another country
you must first dial that country's code for calling international
numbers. The problem here seems to be confusion between the
number you dial to call a given country and the number you use to
dial out of a country; calling them both access codes is
confusing. Perhaps "International Access Code + Country Code +
phone number" would be clearer.

I think in terms of this thread we had an American who wasn't
celar on the concept and thought 011 was the county code for
calling the US or something like that. Other replies have it
corrected.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:48:49 -0700, Rick Blaine
wrote:

yawnmoth wrote:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_international_call_prefixes, the international prefix for the
US is 011. Does that mean that if I wanted to give someone in the UK
a US phone number, I'd give them 011-111-222-2222 (where 111 is the
area code and 222-2222 is the phone number)?

If that's what Wikipedia says, it's wrong. The International Country Code for
North America is 1, not 011. The 01 is a local code that means international
number follows.

The correct format for giving someone a US number is +1 xxx yyy zzz, where the +
means the person is supposed to substitute their local international access
number.

What makes this confusing for many North Americans is that "1" was commonly used
as a "Long Distance number follows" number.

I doubt that's a coincidence.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Jan 2, 8:36*am, yawnmoth wrote:
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_international_call_prefixes, the international prefix for the
US is 011.

No, it's not. The prefix for US is 1.

*Does that mean that if I wanted to give someone in the UK
a US phone number, I'd give them 011-111-222-2222 (where 111 is the
area code and 222-2222 is the phone number)?

Their carrier will determine what the code is to get an international
call. Then it's 1-xxx.xxx.xxxx just like in the US.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

Hatunen wrote:

I'm not following you here. To call the US from another country
you must first dial that country's code for calling international
numbers.

Correct - but you should not be telling that person what their international
access code is - only what your number is. That's why the ITU standard is
"+country code area/city code local number"

Details here on page 1:

http://www.itu.int/rec/dologin_pub.a...F-E&type=items