Planning a trip to Paris!

Old March 4th, 2009, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Default Planning a trip to Paris!

So what martin are you always on topic !!!
The nerve...

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:14:58 -0500, S Viemeister

wrote:

Mark Brader wrote:
"Herbert":
Hi everybody, recently I have planned a trip to Paris and I would like
to gather as much information about there so that I can have a good
trip that will have no problems! I have planned my schedule and the
mode but I need to be more updated on that place to stay, food and the
rest things about the city.
Please do help me with your suggestions ...

I suggest you should do what interests you. Since you haven't told us
what that is, and haven't mentioned the plans you have already made,
how do you expect anyone to provide meaningful help?

The question was sent through 'travelbanter'....

At least it had nothing to do with US politics.
--

Martin

Old March 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
-hh

S Viemeister wrote:
Mark Brader wrote:
"Herbert":
Hi everybody, recently I have planned a trip to Paris and I would like
to gather as much information about there so that I can have a good
trip that will have no problems! I have planned my schedule and the
mode but I need to be more updated on that place to stay, food and the
rest things about the city.
Please do help me with your suggestions ...

I suggest you should do what interests you. *Since you haven't told us
what that is, and haven't mentioned the plans you have already made,
how do you expect anyone to provide meaningful help?

The question was sent through 'travelbanter'....

But doesn't appear to be malicious.

For OP Herbert, I'd recommend getting a copy of the Rick Steve's
guidebook for Paris. Not only does it have 'instructions' on how to
see some of the most famous sights efficiently, but he also has a
couple of different 'neighborhood' areas with hotel & food
recommendations. Of the 5-6 times that I've been to Paris, I've
stayed in the Rue Cler neighborhood twice and would go there again.

FWIW, Philippe's very small "La Varangue" restaurant is near Rue Cler
and is visitor-friendly, English speaking, inexpensive, good and of
note for Americans, "opens early" (by 6pm) for dinner. It can be
found here on Google Maps:

http://tinyurl.com/la-varangue

Another very general tip for Paris has been mentioned: their Metro
system and buying the 10-pack tickets (carats). Also, the last I
checked, the 'Carte Orange' (week pass) was still available, but hard
to find info on. Its best if you're arriving in the first half of the
week and not straddling a weekend. For navigating the Metro, make
sure to get a map and what really makes easy day's journey out
painless is to take 5 minutes in the morning and write down your Metro
path plan:

Go to the desired Metro stop:
Step 1: Get on at Station [A] for the [Red] Line

Get on going the correct direction:
Step 2: Since you want to go [North], the terminus going that
direction is [Station Name A]
Step 2a: Remember that [Station Name B] is the WRONG direction!

Go the required number of stops, transfer lines:
Step 3: the map says it should be [3] stops, then get off at [Station
Name C]
Step 3a: Watch the locals; don't accidentally go out an exit
Step 3b: Follow the signs and find the [Green] Line
Step 3c: Since you want to go [East] on this Line, the terminus going
that direction is [Station Name D]
Step 3d: Remember that [Station Name E] is the WRONG direction!

Proceeding on the second line:
Step 4: the map says it should be [5] stops, to our destination of
[Station Name F]
Step 4a: Watch the locals; now use an exit
Step 4b: Notice that there's often more than one exit, which can be
useful

Getting back home:
Step 5: Go back to [Station Name F]
Step 5a: When coming here, we recalled that [Station Name E] was the
'WRONG' direction? Now its the desired direction.
Step 5b: How many stops was it to get here? Oh yeah, it was [5],
from [Station Name C].
Step 5c: Back at [Station Name C], where we transfer back onto the
[Red] line
Step 5d: When we started out on the Red line, the WRONG direction was
[Station Name B], so its now the way we want to go.
Step 5e: And our home of [Station Name A] is only [3] stops away.

As you can see, a crib sheet goes a long ways.

-hh
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rog'

"-hh" wrote:
For OP Herbert, I'd recommend getting a copy of Rick Steve's
guidebook for Paris. Not only does it have 'instructions' on how
to see some of the most famous sights efficiently, but he also has
a couple of different 'neighborhood' areas with hotel & food
recommendations.

Some of RS ideas are a bit off-beat and sometime simply silly.
That said, for the stuff that interests you, I've found his practical
"how to" advice, maps + diagrams to be more useful than other
guidebooks which merely pack in a ton of details.

Old March 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

H.H.:
For navigating the Metro, make sure to get a map and what really makes
easy day's journey out painless is to take 5 minutes in the morning and
write down your Metro path plan:

My goodness. Well, if it works for you, I won't argue.

Go to the desired Metro stop:
Step 1: Get on at Station [A] for the [Red] Line

Get on going the correct direction:
Step 2: Since you want to go [North], the terminus going that
direction is [Station Name A]
Step 2a: Remember that [Station Name B] is the WRONG direction!

Step 2b: When the train stops, don't expect the doors to open
automatically as they do on most subways. On most lines, near
the center of each pair of sliding doors is either a mechanical
lever that you lift to release the doors, or on newer trains,
a pushbutton.

Go the required number of stops, transfer lines:
Step 3: the map says it should be [3] stops, then get off at [Station
Name C]
Step 3a: Watch the locals; don't accidentally go out an exit

How can you tell which locals are going out an exit and which ones
are changing lines? By looking at the signs for the exit (SORTIE)
and for connecting trains (CORRESPONDANCE).

Step 3b: Follow the signs and find the [Green] Line
Step 3c: Since you want to go [East] on this Line, the terminus going
that direction is [Station Name D]
Step 3d: Remember that [Station Name E] is the WRONG direction!

In some places the passages are signposted only by terminus (DIRECTION)
and not by line number, so you have to skip step 3b.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...and if sooner or later your revels must be ended,

Old March 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
-hh

Mark Brader wrote:
H.H.:

For navigating the Metro, make sure to get a map and what really makes
easy day's journey out painless is to take 5 minutes in the morning and
write down your Metro path plan:

My goodness. *Well, if it works for you, I won't argue.

I came up with it when trying to educate my parents on a trip to Paris
a few years ago. I've also found it useful when trying herd a group
in an unfamiliar city from point A (Hotel) to B (restaurant) and
having stragglers get lost, etc.

Step 2b: When the train stops, don't expect the doors to open
automatically as they do on most subways. *On most lines, near
the center of each pair of sliding doors is either a mechanical
lever that you lift to release the doors, or on newer trains,
a pushbutton.

Good point.

Step 3a: *Watch the locals; don't accidentally go out an exit

How can you tell which locals are going out an exit and which ones
are changing lines? *By looking at the signs for the exit (SORTIE)
and for connecting trains (CORRESPONDANCE).

For the 'follow the locals', I was mostly referring to the more
immediate aspect when one steps out the door .. if everyone else steps
off and turns left, that's probably a good idea to mimic no matter
where you're going.

-hh
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 01:34:54 +0000, Herbert wroteÂ*:

Hi everybody, recently I have planned a trip to Paris and I would like
to gather as much information about there so that I can have a good trip
that will have no problems! I have planned my schedule and the mode but
I need to be more updated on that place to stay, food and the rest
things about the city.
Please do help me with your suggestions on themÂ….Thanks!

Have a look at the tourists' office web site
http://www.parisinfo.com/

Get maps and public transport informations here
http://www.ratp.fr/

Information on Paris Airport here
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/e...assagers/home/

Some not so usual place to see : go to the rue Mouffetard street market
(in the morning), and stroll in the narrow steets nearby (Contrescarpe,
rue Descartes, Sorbonne, Pantheon, Saint-Severin), if open visit the St
Medard church

Local maps
http://www.mappy.fr/
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

I would have to agree with no going in the summer. I have found that
Europe is way behind the States with the use of air conditioning.

Cathy L

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 01:34:54 +0000, Herbert
wrote:

Hi everybody, recently I have planned a trip to Paris and I would like
to gather as much information about there so that I can have a good
trip that will have no problems! I have planned my schedule and the
mode but I need to be more updated on that place to stay, food and the
rest things about the city.
Please do help me with your suggestions on them….Thanks!

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nathalie Chiva[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:47:12 -0400, Cathy L
wrote:

I would have to agree with no going in the summer. I have found that
Europe is way behind the States with the use of air conditioning.

Cathy L

Which may why we use about half the energy the average American
uses...

Nathalie in Switzerland
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Val Hallah

On Mar 15, 3:47*pm, Cathy L wrote:
I would have to agree with no going in the summer. I have found that
Europe is way behind the States with the use of air conditioning.

Cathy L

another reason why you're the worlds biggest polluter..........;-)
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Cathy L wrote:
I would have to agree with no going in the summer. I have found that
Europe is way behind the States with the use of air conditioning.

Cathy L

Probably because, until the past few summers, Europe has never NEEDED
it! (A great many locations in the U.S. didn't either - not really -
but most of Europe has always had a milder climate than much of the
North American continent.) FWIW, Europe is certainly far AHEAD of the
U.S. in terms of preserving the ecology.