Christmas vs "Holidays"

Old December 16th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Lyn Nunn

I think it was more likely their one day off and Xmas wasn't the commercial
thing it is today.

On a genealogical note, I have noticed quite a few of my New England
ancestors in the eighteenth century got married on December 25. Is that
likely just a family tradition, or does anyone know if that is associated
with a certain church or geographical region?

"CLV3" wrote in message
The code word "holiday" season is coming into
increasing use in an effort to minimize the influence the Truths that
were
taught by the Prince of Peace.

I myself was raised catholic yet I do not get offended when people refer
it as holliday or xmas or whatever. Who cares? Even us Christians have
historically stolen others traditions and shaped it into our own thing.

Do
you think the Christmas tree is a Christian idea? Hardly. We have all
stolen
ideas, traditions, and beliefs. The important thing is the end result is
the
kind of effect that it all has on us as a human race.

Old December 16th, 2004, 07:19 AM
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward
wrote (in
lueyonder.co.uk) about 'Christmas vs "Holidays"', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

Indeed. Just as there are no documents written during the alleged time
that this alleged Jesus existed, verifying such alleged existence. If I
were a Christian, this would cause me some concern. I'm not, so it
doesn't.

Well, there are the Dead Sea Scrolls. Not quite contemporary, but
'within living memory', I believe. Certainly tell a story different from
normal doctrine, but explain some rather cryptic texts in Acts.
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Paul Burke

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

"In the Norse Sagas we are told that boar was eaten at this time of
year, and that it was sworn oaths upon.

The meat at the Valhalla feast was apparently a magical boar called
Sejm. Eaten every night, it was miraculously renewed the next day. So,
Hrafn, what's for dinner today? Sejm again, Hrothnar.

Paul Burke

Old December 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Burke wrote
(in ) about 'Christmas vs "Holidays"',
on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:
Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

"In the Norse Sagas we are told that boar was eaten at this time of
year, and that it was sworn oaths upon.

The meat at the Valhalla feast was apparently a magical boar called
Sejm. Eaten every night, it was miraculously renewed the next day. So,
Hrafn, what's for dinner today? Sejm again, Hrothnar.

How unbearably boaring.

Old December 16th, 2004, 09:54 AM
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Richard Henry
wrote (in m3cwd.6601$Sq.5689@fed1read01) about 'Christmas vs
"Holidays"', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

I think I'm becoming a Republican.

You need counselling. (;-)