Going to New York - Need Some Advice Please

Old January 31st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Claim Guy

Default Going to New York - Need Some Advice Please

I will be travelling to NYC, for the first time, in mid March.

I always do my own travel planning but I must admit I am bewildered by the
variety of options for finding accommodation in New York.

Most websites break down the locations into 10 or more sub-areas, with at
least 5 in Manhattan alone. I dunno; is the Upper East side a better place
to be than Midtown, Soho, etc..? If you could advise a first timer, where
would you suggest that they situate themselves?

We will get all over Manhattan in the 4 days, I'm sure, so being really
close to a couple of the major sites (museums, etc.) is not critical. But we
would like the location of the hotel to afford some local ambience (and I'm
not into "edgy" ambience) that we can enjoy every day. No car, obviously, we
will cab it or use the subway.

3 or 4 star (4 if it is a good deal) accommodation, with some character is
our style.

Any specific hotel, or activity recommendations would also be appreciated. 4
days will leave so much undone, I think I'm already committed to a return
trip.

Thanks,

Old January 31st, 2005, 06:18 PM

Claim Guy wrote:
I will be travelling to NYC, for the first time, in mid March.

I always do my own travel planning but I must admit I am bewildered

by the
variety of options for finding accommodation in New York.

Most websites break down the locations into 10 or more sub-areas,

with at
least 5 in Manhattan alone. I dunno; is the Upper East side a better

place
to be than Midtown, Soho, etc..? If you could advise a first timer,

where
would you suggest that they situate themselves?

Functionally, midtown is a good place. This is basically because
it literally puts you in the middle of Manhattan. It will cut down
on your travel time to many places. The Village and SoHo are
nice too although much further south. But they might just be
a tad more equidistant between the places you'll actually visit
(basically from Battery Park up to about 90th or so in Central Park).
To some extent you probably have to decide where you'll be spending
your evenings since that is probably when being "close to home" has
it's greatest value. Gonna do theater at night? Midtown. Tend
to eat more down in the Village? Some folks prefer the uptown
restaurants on the Upper West side.

We will get all over Manhattan in the 4 days, I'm sure, so being

really
close to a couple of the major sites (museums, etc.) is not critical.

But we
would like the location of the hotel to afford some local ambience

(and I'm
not into "edgy" ambience) that we can enjoy every day. No car,

obviously, we
will cab it or use the subway.

The question is which local ambiance. Manhattan, and the other
buroughs are extremely distinct. One of the more interesting part
of NYC is the large, and rapid, variation. There is no singular
character. That said, downtown near Battery Park is kinda dead
after 5 pm so that may not be your best bet. The Upper East side
always has a "on the outside looking in" feel to me where as
staying down in The Village I get more of a feeling that I live there.
Midtown will have more of a feeling of being in "NYC World" especially
over around Times Square. Upper West side has a bit more of a
Village/SoHo feel to me as well. But these are all personal
impressions.
Truth is, if you want to live with the majority of New Yorkers,
you'll stay across the east river in Brooklyn or the Bronx, maybe
even Queens, but I wouldn't personally recommend that for a first time
visitor.

3 or 4 star (4 if it is a good deal) accommodation, with some

character is
our style.

Any specific hotel, or activity recommendations would also be

appreciated. 4
days will leave so much undone, I think I'm already committed to a

return
trip.

Especially that time of year, I'd seriously consider making a bid
at Priceline.com. As long as there aren't more than 2 of you, you
should do okay. I've seen some rooms going for around $125 lately.

Old January 31st, 2005, 09:24 PM
pantagruel

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Check out the Inn on 23rd. It is in Chelsea, close to several very good
restuarants and run by very friendly ex Texans. Also you get free phone
calls anywhere in the US, they let you use there membership cards for
museums, rooms are attractively furnished, they have two refrigerators with
free food (cheese and stuff), includes a breakfast, easy walking distance
from two subway lines and from Penn Station. Look at Tripadvisor.com for
other comments. By the way Chelsea is sort of a mixed area, becoming more
popular with the gay crowd (which for me is always an endorsement of an area
to stay in). I enjoyed staying there because it seemed a relaxed area, non
touristico.

Old February 1st, 2005, 05:51 AM
Pan

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:25:49 -0500, "Claim Guy"
wrote:

[snip]
I dunno; is the Upper East side a better place
to be than Midtown,

Yes, if by "Midtown," you mean the West 40s-50s around Broadway (see
below).

Soho,

Where in Soho? If you're considering the Holiday Inn, that's basically
in Chinatown. Soho is a very touristy neighborhood of expensive
boutiques - quite a change from what once upon a time was the bohemian
quarter - but yes, I think it's a lot more fun than Midtown.

One caveat, though: I think what you mean by Midtown is the area
centered around Broadway (8th Av., etc.) in the 40s and lower 50s. If
you mean the East Side in the 50s, that's much better, and 9th Av. in
the 40s and 50s is also alright.

etc..? If you could advise a first timer, where
would you suggest that they situate themselves?

I have a bias toward downtown (below 14 St.), but most anyplace other
than the Times Square area is worth considering.

We will get all over Manhattan in the 4 days, I'm sure, so being really
close to a couple of the major sites (museums, etc.) is not critical. But we
would like the location of the hotel to afford some local ambience (and I'm
not into "edgy" ambience) that we can enjoy every day.

[snip]

I'm not sure you should be looking for local ambiance in your hotel.
What's more important is that you find it on the streets.

If you have some more specific questions, I'd be happy to try to help
you.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:46 AM
B Vaughan

wrote:

I will be travelling to NYC, for the first time, in mid March.

I always do my own travel planning but I must admit I am bewildered by the
variety of options for finding accommodation in New York.

Most websites break down the locations into 10 or more sub-areas, with at
least 5 in Manhattan alone. I dunno; is the Upper East side a better place
to be than Midtown, Soho, etc..? If you could advise a first timer, where
would you suggest that they situate themselves?

The upper east side wouldn't be my favorite place to stay. It also
depends just how "upper" it is, and what avenue it's on. The east side
has fewer transportation options than the west side, and to me it's a
bit boring.

We will get all over Manhattan in the 4 days, I'm sure, so being really
close to a couple of the major sites (museums, etc.) is not critical. But we
would like the location of the hotel to afford some local ambience (and I'm
not into "edgy" ambience) that we can enjoy every day. No car, obviously, we
will cab it or use the subway.

I don't know what options are being offered to you, but midtown is
convenient, Soho is fine. Greenwich Village would also be fine, and
the upper west side would appeal to me more than the upper east side.

3 or 4 star (4 if it is a good deal) accommodation, with some character is
our style.

Any specific hotel, or activity recommendations would also be appreciated. 4
days will leave so much undone, I think I'm already committed to a return
trip.

I don't have any specific hotels to recommend, as my star level is
lower than yours.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Claim Guy

"Rita" wrote in message

Why don't you do some research, choose a few hotels that look appealing
to you in your price range and then come back and ask for specific

comments
on them. Also use Trip Advisor to check out reviews by others who have
stayed in them.

Okay, what are people's views on these:

Excelsior Hotel 45 W 81st Street

Belleclaire Hotel 250 W 77th Street

Wellington Hotel 871 7th Avenue

Millennium Hilton 55 Church Street

Thanks

Old February 1st, 2005, 04:06 PM
Bob Fusillo

Don't know the hotel, but the location of the Belleclaire is probaby the
best for you. Without being in the complete middle of town, it is closer to
the action -- you can walk back to it from many places in midtown if you
want.
Ambience? Let's face it -- New York "ambience " is big city bustle. The
Times Square area -- say from 42nd to 56th, is the center of it all. The
comparative 'Neighborhoodiness" of the Village, et al, is what residents
like. But you are visiting the city for its excitement, not laid-backness, I
assume.
rjf

Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Pan

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:06:12 -0500, "Bob Fusillo"
wrote:

[snip]
Ambience? Let's face it -- New York "ambience " is big city bustle. The
Times Square area -- say from 42nd to 56th, is the center of it all. The
comparative 'Neighborhoodiness" of the Village, et al, is what residents
like. But you are visiting the city for its excitement, not laid-backness, I
assume.

Do you really think masses of slow-moving tourists around Times Square
equate to excitement?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
lin

"Claim Guy" wrote in message
[...]

I'd recommend the Novotel, it's a nice modern 3 star hotel with spacious
rooms. If I remember correctly it's on 7th and 52nd St. See also
www.novotel.com

lin

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:08 AM
Larry

Claim Guy wrote:
"Rita" wrote in message

Why don't you do some research, choose a few hotels that look

appealing
to you in your price range and then come back and ask for specific

comments
on them. Also use Trip Advisor to check out reviews by others who

have
stayed in them.

Okay, what are people's views on these:

Excelsior Hotel 45 W 81st Street

Belleclaire Hotel 250 W 77th Street

Wellington Hotel 871 7th Avenue

Millennium Hilton 55 Church Street

Thanks

Of these I have gotten good reports on the Excelsior; it's across the
street from the Museum of Natural History, on the 81st street Crosstown
bus to get the the Met Museum and the Guggenheim and other East side
attractions, and in a residential neighborhood, so there are a lot of
local restaurants.

The Millenium (yes it is the way they spell it) Hilton is across the
street from Ground Zero (and a couple of blocks from my office). It is
in the financial district, which makes it a 10-30 minute subway ride
from where you will probably be spending most of your time. There's
very little nearby nightlife, but it is a good hotel.