Oregon / Wash Road trips - advice on length of time ?

Old June 25th, 2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Walt Tucker

Default Oregon / Wash Road trips - advice on length of time ?

Since Bobb hasn't sent me his email address, I did cut and paste excerpts
below of the other email messages I was going to send privately.

Worthwhile stuff to do IN Seattle:

Pike's Place Market
Go up the Space Needle
Boeing Museum of Flight
Underground City Tour
Seattle Waterfront:
Aquarium
Lots of little shops
Eat seafood and watch the ferries
Dinner ferry to Tillicum Village for the Salmon Bake
Water tour from waterfront
Visit the U of W/Arboretum/University District
Ride the monorail between downtown and science center
West Seattle:
Walk along beach
Shops
Park for view of downtown Seattle and watch the lights come
up.
Alki Point lighthouse
Pacific Science Center (more or less like OMSI)
Mariners game
Columbia Tower (tallest building on west coast; does it have an
observation
deck?)
Take a drive around Lake Union and Lake Washington (quite a few nice
city
parks)
Find a good restaurant on Eliott Bay, or one of the lakes

Close to Seattle (day trips):
Whidbey Island/Deception Pass
Olympic National Park/Port Angeles
Port Townsend
Ferry rides (take one ferry out and another back)
San Juan islands

Subject: Oregon Wineries and Winery Tours

Here are some sites to check out:

http://www.winesnw.com/

http://www.oregonwines.com/

http://www.westernlimousine.com/winetours.asp (has links to several local
winery web sites) http://www.ecotours-of-oregon.com/wine.htm

http://grapescape.citysearch.com/1.html -- Grape Escape Winery Tours
http://www.oregon.worldweb.com/Tours...res/WineTours/

Subject: Oregon Coast, where to stop overnight?

I grew up in Astoria and my mother-in-law currently lives just south of
Newport. So, I know the Oregon coast well. For a first-timer, there is
certainly much to see and do as you move down the coastline. Astoria, in
particular is very rich in history. There is a great world-class maritime
museum, several coastal defense forts around Fort Stevens to visit, the
remains of an old shipwreck you can see on the beach, Fort Clatsop (now part
of the larger Lewis and Clark national historical park), the Astoria column,
and lots of good hiking (Oregon coast trail, the new interpretive trail at
Fort Clatsop, and Saddle Mountain). You could easily spend a couple of days
around the Astoria area. On the Washington side, Cape Disappointment is a
must-see.

As you drive south along the coastline there are many nice beaches to
walk, parks to visit with scenic vistas, quaint little towns with some neat
shopping, and lighthouses you can tour. Other people have responded to your
posting with links to some good websites. If you start exploring those
links, you should be able to come up with many places in line with your
interests where you might want to stop.

It might or might not be obvious from looking at the map, but you won't
always have the ocean in view as you drive highway 101 south from Astoria to
Newport. However, you should never be more than 5 or 10 miles inland at any
given time and can easily cut over to the beach via access roads. The route
goes something like this:

-- From Astoria to Cannon beach junction (4 miles south of Seaside), for
a distance of 20 miles you'll be about 1 mile
inland with the ocean obscured by a series of low hills. However,
you can get to the ocean by following the signs
to Fort Stevens (which you might want to visit anyway), taking the
Del Rey beach access road, or driving into
downtown Seaside.

-- From Cannon Beach junction to Tillamook highway 101 follows the
bluffs along the coast with some great vistas of
the ocean and bays (about 40 miles). Cannon beach is a neat little
tourist town to stop at. Ecola State Park to the
north of town is nice. Further south, Oswald West state
park gives you a nice, short walk through the forest ending a nice
beach. Nehalem Bay
state park is also a nice stop for a picnic lunch. When you approach
Tillamook, be sure to stop at the cheese factory.

-- From Tillamook to Lincoln city (about 60 miles), highway 101 cuts
inland again and you won't have any ocean
views until arriving at Lincoln City. However, I would recommend
taking the Three Capes drive out of Tillamook,
which joins up with Highway 101 again about 10-15 miles further
south. When on the Three Capes drive, make a
stop at the Cape Meares lighthouse if the weather is nice. The
lighthouse is on a point of land high above the
ocean with good views of the coast both to the north and south. As
drive down from Cape Meares, there is
a nice little beach and state park called Oceanside with a small
tunnel through the rocks you can walk through.

-- From Lincoln City to Florence (about 70 miles), highway 101 again
hugs the coastal bluffs. Lots and lots of
places to pull over along this stretch of the road. Places to
consider include visiting the two lighthouses on
either end of Newport, the Newport bay front, the Oregon Coast
Aquarium, Heceta Head, Devil's Churn,
Cape Perpetua, and the Strawberry Hill wayside (where you can always
find seals and sea lions sunning
themselves on the rocks). At Florence, visit the bay front and eat
at Moes.

-- From Florence to Coos Bay (about 60 miles), highway 101 again cuts
inland. Places you might want to
stop include Honeyman State Park, the Oregon Dunes Overlook, and the
elk refuge near Reedsport.
When you get to Coos Bay, be sure to go out to Sunset Beach state
park and visit the botanical gardens
at Cape Arago.

I don't know how long you'll be in Coos Bay, but if you have the time
you might want to take a drive south from Coos Bay to the Oregon California
border. In my opinion, this section of the coastline is more ruggedly
beautiful than the northern Oregon coast. If you do that drive, beside some
more nice beaches you'll also be able to visit a small wildlife game park
near Bandon, take a jet boat ride up the Rogue river, and drive or walk
through some large coastal redwood groves at the end.

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

Pike Place Market (not Pike's)
And if he is going to the Needle, there is also Experience Music
Project and if he is with kids the Pacific Science Center

Seek out some of the local art:
Troll under the Bridge
Waiting for the Interurban
the new Waterfront Sculpture park
Japanese Garden in the Arboretum
Snoqualmie Falls
St. Michelle Winery
Seattle Art Museum
Hiram Chittenden Locks

And in Tacoma:
State History Museum
Museum of Glass

Old July 4th, 2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Oregon / Wash Road trip - Salmon fishing question

Hello again,

Still researching / planning it out and have a question for locals :
any fishing folks out there ?
We're not looking to keep 'em - just catch and release.

I went to Kay's fishing link and it brought me to others .....
http://www.fishingoregon.net/links.htm
then he
http://www.mthoodterritory.com/fishing.jsp - questions:
Where ? -

I'm gonna do this trip in September and looking for advice/
recommendations on area to choose for 1 or 2 days of fishing with a boat
charter.
Recommend Washington or Oregon ? - does it matter ? I see a LOT of
names/websites in a google search for " charter Fishing Oregon " from
charter boats. They look like 20-25 foot boats ?
They'll be just two of us - any suggestions? referrals ?
Columbia River ? What part ? etc

I'm trying to work it backward :
1. where to fish
2. When ? - early /late Sept
That will decide where to fly into and to fish first or toward end of trip

How ?
Would we be fly-fishing ? ( my buddy never has) From shore ? /wading ? Or
it depends ?
SHOULD we hire a boat ? or certain spots to just drive to and fish from
shore . ( Or course then we'd need to buy equipment )

Permitting ?
do we need state ? local ? other ?

Thanks again.

Old July 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Kay Lancaster

Yes, you'll need licenses, temporary or annual. Here is the Oregon
application:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...pplication.pdf
and Washington's:
https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/wdfw/licenses.html

And the Oregon rules:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...tions_2007.pdf
and supplement to the Oregon rules:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources.../northwest.asp

And Washington's:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp

GI Joes' is the big chain fishing/hunting good store in Oregon; it's recently
changed its name just to "Joe's"
http://www.joessports.com/home/index.jsp

Can't answer your other questions: I still don't fish g

Kay

Old July 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Oregon / Wash Road trip

I'm NOT into hiking, but do like scenic drives.
Gonna book tickets asap ( tired of researching) - I could use some
feedback.

For those that have done it ...
In 2-3 week trip, which would you do ?
Your thoughts on these 2 trips ?
To include California ?
Make a loop in OR, WA ?
Your opinion ?
I've done SF - down the coast a lot , never northern coast though.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...TF8&z=5&om =0

vs

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...TF8&z=5&om =0

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Walt Tucker

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
I'm NOT into hiking, but do like scenic drives.
Gonna book tickets asap ( tired of researching) - I could use some
feedback.

For those that have done it ...
In 2-3 week trip, which would you do ?
Your thoughts on these 2 trips ?
To include California ?
Make a loop in OR, WA ?
Your opinion ?
I've done SF - down the coast a lot , never northern coast though.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...TF8&z=5&om =0

vs

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...TF8&z=5&om =0

I would change route 2 to this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...TF8&z=5&om =0

The alternate route extends your loop by leaving I-5 at Medford, and
reconnects with I-5 at Salem. The eastern swing lets you take in a few of
the sights in Central Oregon, including:

-- Passes by Lost Creek Reservoir and Rogue River gorge
-- Crater Lake
-- Sunriver
-- Lava Butte, Lava Tube, High Desert Museum
-- Bend (might be a good stop for the night)
-- Sisters
-- Lava fields off the old McKenzie Highway (Hwy 242)
-- Koosah/Sahalie Falls on the New McKenzie

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Walt Tucker

"Walt Tucker" wrote in message

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Oops. Additional modification in Washington to take in Mt. Rainier National
Park and a drive down Whidbey Island past Deception Pass. When you get to
Anacortes, take walk-on ferry to Friday Harbor for the day if you feel like
it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...TF8&z=5&om =0

Old July 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Booked the trip - flying into Portland,OR via Delta. Allowing 2 weeks for
driving loop:
Portland - Seattle- over to the coast - Rt 101 south as far as Eureka , CA
, then back up via I-5 to Portland.
Then 4 days in Vegas - then home.

While picking flights/times, the price went up $96 ! I tried to put on
hold ( like AA allows) but couldn't on Delta. By the time I checked
different days/options, and came back , it went from $340 to $436.50 pp.
Someone out there beat me to a cheap seat on one of my flights. Still a
lot cheaper than others, so had to do it. Usually I take America West
redeye home from Vegas, but on 10/8, they want $700+ one way for 11pm
flight from vegas- boston. ( R/T is over $1,000 !) Don't know why - still
lots of seats on it ??? ( Of course, now that I bought it, it'll go on
sale next week on USair !!). My Delta flight (included in the $436) leaves
at11pm and is a non-stop too so worked out fine.

Just checked on rental cars ... - 10% surcharge for airport pickup.
It's will be about $950 for a Mustang at Hertz, so will check into renting
it offsite/ those other rental agencies - in the morning.

Thanks folks.
Bobb