African-American Female traveling to Europe November-December

Old October 16th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Vonetta

Default African-American Female traveling to Europe November-December

Hi, I'm planning to travel to Europe in late November. Specifically,
Paris and London. I was wondering if anyone else was going around that
time. And could they possibly give me some tips as to what's the best
hostels or budget hotels to go to for females as well as what things i
should do. This is my first time to Europe. Thanks V
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Lil

Don't know if it would help, but I think I ran across some B & B for
women travellers when I was surfing the net. Might want to check
Lonely Planet at the bookstore--they're geared to college
student/young crowd so they have great tips on how to make public
transit work, detailed description of hostel options, and so on.

Good luck with the research.

Lil

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Guy Robinson

(Vonetta) wrote in message . com...
Hi, I'm planning to travel to Europe in late November. Specifically,
Paris and London. I was wondering if anyone else was going around that
time. And could they possibly give me some tips as to what's the best
hostels or budget hotels to go to for females as well as what things i
should do. This is my first time to Europe. Thanks V

I'm an Englishman who has lived in Paris for two years and have
otherwise lived near London for most of my adult life. I'll try to
give you the best advice I can, although admittedly I have tended to
not use hotels in either Paris or London. I hope it is of some use.

The first thing is that cheap Parisian and London hotels will be
small, especially in Paris and London. These capitals are crowded,
London more so, and so land is expensive and space is at a premium.

Another is that both capitals are working cities. There can often be
a contrast between tourist areas and more regular parts of the town.
If you are doing your journey on a budget it is often wise to find
places to eat and drink just outside the tourist areas, as it will
probably be cheaper but once outside those places people can sometimes
be less used to tourists.

If you want to be on a budget in Paris knowing some elementary French
can save you a lot of problems you might suffer if you meet someone
with poor English or no English at all. Using formal French greetings
and other courtesies warms the soul of many French people who are used
to English speaking tourists who demand people to speak, and
userstand, their accented English.

It is always useful to know more common London terms in London. I
recommend watching any film with Micheal Caine in it made before the
80s or as many episodes of the English soap Eastenders as you can.
Make your risk assessments carefully in London as obviously wealthy
people can get mugged.

Generally I recommend that you try to adjust to each city. Avoiding
looking like a tourist is useful and pretending to be a Canadian may
help you avoid being told what people think of the recent attrocities
committed by the Bush adminstration. However locals generally like
Americans that show a willingness to adjust to European culture and
enjoy things as they are found.

In London you might want to try the Notting Hill area as it is a
Rasterfarian enclave that I used to find full of character in the 80s.
In Paris the 7th Arrondissement is the student quarter and a pleasant
place to stay.

--
Guy Robinson

[all standard disclaimers apply]
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Lil wrote:

Don't know if it would help, but I think I ran across some B & B for
women travellers when I was surfing the net. Might want to check
Lonely Planet at the bookstore--they're geared to college
student/young crowd so they have great tips on how to make public
transit work, detailed description of hostel options, and so on.

Also Let's Go is an excellent resource for budget lodging. If you're
just going to Paris and London, with perhaps a few day trips, you should
get Let's Go, Paris and Let's Go, London.

Barbara
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Vonetta

Thanks, this information helps a lot. What about places to see and go.
I guess places where it's more ethnic and afrocentric friendly. I love
all kinds of music and culture. I just would like to know beforehand.
What would you recommend. Thanks,again V

Old October 17th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Miguel Cruz

Vonetta wrote:
Thanks, this information helps a lot. What about places to see and go.
I guess places where it's more ethnic and afrocentric friendly. I love
all kinds of music and culture. I just would like to know beforehand.
What would you recommend. Thanks,again V

Outside of a few angry small towns in eastern Germany, I don't think you're
going to come across many places that are not ethnic-friendly. Maybe
politically, but surely not in a face-to-face way (i.e., they may be voting
to restrict immigration but they're not going to take it out on you, a
tourist). I wouldn't worry about this at all.

If you're specifically looking for sub-Saharan African culture, then your
cities are London, Paris, Brussels, and Rome.

You could always head over to Africa itself from southern Spain - it's an
hour on the express ferry, just $25 each way.

miguel
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:43 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Vonetta wrote:

Thanks, this information helps a lot. What about places to see and go.
I guess places where it's more ethnic and afrocentric friendly. I love
all kinds of music and culture. I just would like to know beforehand.
What would you recommend. Thanks,again V

It's true I have only seen these cities from the viewpoint of a white
American, but from what I've observed, you are much less likely to
encounter racial "unpleasantness" as an American tourist there than you
may have in some American cities. Most Europeans seem to treat
Americans simply as foreign tourists (with no distinctions made on a
basis of ethnicity). Why do you think so many afro-american opera
singers make their homes in France? It's true, with an international
career, it may be more convenient to live in Europe, but I think the way
they are treated by the general public may have something to do with
their choice, too.

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Alan Harrison

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" "evgmsop-no wrote in
message ...

Vonetta wrote:

Thanks, this information helps a lot. What about places to see and go.
I guess places where it's more ethnic and afrocentric friendly. I love
all kinds of music and culture. I just would like to know beforehand.
What would you recommend. Thanks,again V

It's true I have only seen these cities from the viewpoint of a white
American, but from what I've observed, you are much less likely to
encounter racial "unpleasantness" as an American tourist there than you
may have in some American cities

I'm not sure why the original poster is particularly concerned about her
reception as an African-American woman.

In much of western Europe, Vonetta won't stand out as American, although she
will be recognised as such when British people hear her accent. Most large
and medium sized cities/towns in Britain have a substantial Afro-Caribbean
population, as I think do similar cities in France, and so she will not
appear "different" on acccount of her colour.

Alan Harrison

Old October 17th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Yankee Bob

Vonetta,
I think you are in for a pleasant surprise. Racism exists everywhere but
in London and Paris it is nowhere near what we experience in America. There
are African Caribbean neighborhoods in both cities and you can find their
locations in any decent guidebook. Do by a guidebook or 2 before going by
the way. A purchase of $30 for 2 books will a very good investment for a
$2000+ trip. I think London will blow you away when you hear people speak.
For the most part, you can't tell their race from their voice and accent!
I've been to both cities several times and if you need some detailed
information, feel free to write me directly. Have a great trip!
Yankee Bob Inc.
(At a loss for something clever to say here)

"Vonetta" wrote in message
om...
Thanks, this information helps a lot. What about places to see and go.
I guess places where it's more ethnic and afrocentric friendly. I love
all kinds of music and culture. I just would like to know beforehand.
What would you recommend. Thanks,again V

(Guy Robinson) wrote in message

. com...
. com...

Old October 18th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Mxsmanic

Vonetta writes:

Thanks, this information helps a lot. What about places to see and go.
I guess places where it's more ethnic and afrocentric friendly.

Maybe you should leave the chip on your shoulder and the paranoia at
home. You'll enjoy Europe more that way.