Delta's "Zone" Boarding system

Old March 16th, 2004, 12:58 AM
maryanne kehoe

Default Delta's "Zone" Boarding system

Is *very* slow!

Flew back from PHL last night, only _slightly_ faster than ATL. It was
much faster when gate agents could call boarding by row numbers.

Comments anyone?

Old March 16th, 2004, 10:53 AM
mtravelkay

maryanne kehoe wrote:

Is *very* slow!

Flew back from PHL last night, only _slightly_ faster than ATL. It was
much faster when gate agents could call boarding by row numbers.

Comments anyone?

Well, the distance from Moscow to Phila is closer, so it should take
less time for the flight.

Distance Moscow - Phila 4754 miles (7650 km) (4131 nautical miles)
Moscow - Atlanta 5389 miles (8673 km) (4683 nautical miles)

If by "zone boarding" you mean window seat first, then I am inclined to
agree,as the delays caused by people putting the baggage in the overhead
has little, if anything. to do with where people sit in a row.

Old March 16th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Steve Cain

The zone system doesn't work. Need to board from the back. First class
first if on schedule or the compartment is forward of the entry. The reason
is too many packages, carryons and coats with particular reference to people
who carry these often missized objects on but no ability to handle such
without the help of a good samaritan.

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Holden McGroyne

If by "zone boarding" you mean window seat first, then I am inclined to
agree,as the delays caused by people putting the baggage in the overhead
has little, if anything. to do with where people sit in a row.

I have been on AA flights which used a similar zone boarding, and
my experience is that this is an improvement to the usual by-rows
procedure.

If the airlines want to make a noticable improvement in boarding times
they should consider boarding from both front and rear. Which I am aware
will require some changes to the current single jetway arrangement. Those
of you who took flights prior to jetways might recall that it was common to
board and exit from stairs on both the front and rear of the aircraft.
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:16 PM
cj

Steve Cain wrote:

The zone system doesn't work. Need to board from the back. First class
first if on schedule or the compartment is forward of the entry. The reason
is too many packages, carryons and coats with particular reference to people
who carry these often missized objects on but no ability to handle such
without the help of a good samaritan.
"maryanne kehoe" wrote in message

Is *very* slow!

Flew back from PHL last night, only _slightly_ faster than ATL. It was
much faster when gate agents could call boarding by row numbers.

Comments anyone?

I find that overall the zone system works better. It all depends on the
other passengers such as how fast they stow their luggage, that they are
actually sitting in the correct seat, not bringing more than 2 bags on
board, etc. The issues that I have seen that slows things up a

1) Those who need extra time to be seated (such as in a physical
handicap), seem to often have aisle seats which slows things down when
they have to get up to let someone in to the window/center seat. I
think if they boarded last, then things would be quicker. Exception
would be those groups who occupy the entire row such as with children.

2) People sitting in the wrong seat and needing to move.

3) Standby's that don't get assigned an empty seat...they should just
let them board after everyone has taken their seats and let them choose
whatever seat they want (similar to SW), rather than having attendants
figuring out where they should sit.

4) Those people who bring bags on board that don't actually fit within
listed dimensions or the boxes that airline has sitting out, and then
start moving luggage all over to accommodate their bag.

just my 2 cents...
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Treb

"maryanne kehoe" wrote in message

Is *very* slow!

Flew back from PHL last night, only _slightly_ faster than ATL. It was
much faster when gate agents could call boarding by row numbers.

Comments anyone?

Totally agree. I found it quite lame.

However, I noticed that if you have business, exit row or bulkhead seating -
You board first as Zone One.

Trebby

Old March 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM
mtravelkay

Treb wrote:

"maryanne kehoe" wrote in message

Is *very* slow!

Flew back from PHL last night, only _slightly_ faster than ATL. It was
much faster when gate agents could call boarding by row numbers.

Comments anyone?

Totally agree. I found it quite lame.

However, I noticed that if you have business, exit row or bulkhead seating -
You board first as Zone One.

Is this because the people are sitting in bulkhead/exit row, or because
the are elite level frequent fliers? Additionally, bulkhead passengers
need overhead storage space.

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Treb

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
. com...

SNIP

Is *very* slow!

Flew back from PHL last night, only _slightly_ faster than ATL. It was
much faster when gate agents could call boarding by row numbers.

Comments anyone?

Totally agree. I found it quite lame.

However, I noticed that if you have business, exit row or bulkhead

seating -
You board first as Zone One.

Is this because the people are sitting in bulkhead/exit row, or because
the are elite level frequent fliers? Additionally, bulkhead passengers
need overhead storage space.

Yes, they assume that those in bulkheads need to have first access to
overhead storage and those in exit rows have more time to read (hahahaha)
the exit row safety card.

Treb