From Chicago to Tokyo, HK, Delhi

Old April 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

Default From Chicago to Tokyo, HK, Delhi

I am based in Chicago and need to make a trip to Tokyo (NRT), HK (HKG),
and Delhi (DEL) next Feb.

What is the least expensive strategy to combine those cities?

Much of my experience consists of the European route and based on that
experience I looked into ORD-DEL tickets with a stop in NRT one way and
HKG the other way. However, this strategy does not seem to work with
the Pacific route. For example, ORD-DEL ticket prices around $1100 but
as soon as I add the stops, the price jumps 2 or 3 times.
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:20:04 -0500, AKT wrote:

I am based in Chicago and need to make a trip to Tokyo (NRT), HK (HKG),
and Delhi (DEL) next Feb.

What is the least expensive strategy to combine those cities?

Much of my experience consists of the European route and based on that
experience I looked into ORD-DEL tickets with a stop in NRT one way and
HKG the other way. However, this strategy does not seem to work with
the Pacific route. For example, ORD-DEL ticket prices around $1100 but
as soon as I add the stops, the price jumps 2 or 3 times.

You could look into Cathay Pacific's All-Asia Pass. This costs $1,099
and allows you to travel to Hong Kong and two additional Asian cities.
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_... 010d21c39____

There may be an additional charge to use Chicago as your gateway city,
and another if you want to visit Delhi.

Chris
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Mr. Travel

AKT wrote:

I am based in Chicago and need to make a trip to Tokyo (NRT), HK (HKG),
and Delhi (DEL) next Feb.

What is the least expensive strategy to combine those cities?

Much of my experience consists of the European route and based on that
experience I looked into ORD-DEL tickets with a stop in NRT one way and
HKG the other way. However, this strategy does not seem to work with
the Pacific route. For example, ORD-DEL ticket prices around $1100 but
as soon as I add the stops, the price jumps 2 or 3 times.

You could price the trip separately.
You could look into RTW fares or specials.
I know Cathay often has some type of multiple stop "pass" deals.
http://www.cathayusa.com/offers/AllA...subdefault.asp

Old April 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Jeff Hacker[_1_]

"AKT" wrote in message
I am based in Chicago and need to make a trip to Tokyo (NRT), HK (HKG),
and Delhi (DEL) next Feb.

What is the least expensive strategy to combine those cities?

Much of my experience consists of the European route and based on that
experience I looked into ORD-DEL tickets with a stop in NRT one way and
HKG the other way. However, this strategy does not seem to work with
the Pacific route. For example, ORD-DEL ticket prices around $1100 but
as soon as I add the stops, the price jumps 2 or 3 times.

You might want to check out Cathay Pacific's "All Asia" Pass. About $1100
plus tax (although DEL may be an add-on). You'd have to get to LA on
another airline.

Old April 17th, 2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
geno.y

On Apr 16, 9:20 pm, AKT wrote:
I am based in Chicago and need to make a trip to Tokyo (NRT), HK (HKG),
and Delhi (DEL) next Feb.

If it doesn’t have to be in that order, you could do either one of
these on Singapore Airlines (SQ):
1) Tokyo, Delhi, Hong Kong
2) Hong Kong, Delhi, Tokyo

It would be a through fare Chicago to Delhi plus 2 stopovers charges.

May not be the least expensive, but you get what you pay for.

The Cathay Pacific (CX) pass really isn’t such a good deal because
Cathay Pacific (CX) hubs in Hong Kong, the routes are like spokes on a
wheel. You have to go back to Hong Kong each time you want to go to a
new destination.

Geno

Old April 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

Chris Blunt wrote:

: You could look into Cathay Pacific's All-Asia Pass. This costs $1,099
: and allows you to travel to Hong Kong and two additional Asian cities.

Thanks. At present their pass only works until early Dec, but who knows
maybe they will come up with something similar later.
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

Mr. Travel wrote:

: You could price the trip separately.

Of course, that is the default option. Each rt costs approx $1000, so
$3000 total with a lot of flexibility as to when I visit each place.

The idea behind combining is to pay less. If I have to pay $2500-$3000
for the multi-city ticket, then separate trips are more attractive.

Based on my European experience I though a ticket with two stops should
cost under $1500 but that does not appear to be the case.

Old April 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

Jeff Hacker wrote:

: You might want to check out Cathay Pacific's "All Asia" Pass. About $1100
: plus tax (although DEL may be an add-on). You'd have to get to LA on
: another airline.

Thanks. The current pass is not valid to next Feb when I need to
travel, but surely something to keep an eye on in case they extend it.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AKT

geno.y wrote:

: If it doesn’t have to be in that order, you could do either one of
: these on Singapore Airlines (SQ):
: 1) Tokyo, Delhi, Hong Kong
: 2) Hong Kong, Delhi, Tokyo
:
: It would be a through fare Chicago to Delhi plus 2 stopovers charges.

This was extremely exciting, because this is just the sort of thing I
am used to doing on European routes: add one stop each way for a
moderate extra charge. So I went to S'pore web site...

First surprise, Chicago is not one of their cities in the drop down
menu. Not deterred, I tried ex LAX. But their web site didn't produce
any results. Of course, could be just the web issue. I'll try again and
call them as well.

My ORIGINAL thought was-

ORD-NRT (stop)-HKG should be possible on JAL or some partner
HKG-DEL on CX etc or partner
DEL-ORD on AA

All of these being One World, some travel agent should be able to sell
a combined ticket. So far no luck.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
jessica_smith_nyc

Try adjusting your search results from different
cities..........sometimes if you try to go through the HUB of the
airline it will be cheaper.

----
http://www.moviesitearchive.com/travel