Celebrity

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Default Celebrity

I'd like to do a cruise this winter (Dec-Feb) out of Baltimore or
somewhere within a day's drive. The choices seem to be limited to
Celebrity Mercury or Carnival Pride, and the Pride only goes to the
Bahamas and is a much bigger ship than I like - two strikes against
her. We could do back-to-back on Mercury and do Bahamas and then
Caribbean (9 days and then 12 days), but they apparently don't have
self service laundry. I really don't like not having a laundry
available. What do people do? Maybe I should just to the Caribbean.

Old April 9th, 2009, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

ROSAILE:
We are doing the celebrity nov.30 for 12 days,and i do not worry about
not having a laundry aboard,take enough under things for the entire
trip,and mix and match other clothes,if we need something laundered we
have the ship do it other wise take plastic bags ,put used clothing in
them,and launder when arriving home.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old April 9th, 2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

I took a 14 day cruise to Hawaii and never ran out of clean clothes.

Old April 9th, 2009, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

I'd like to do a cruise this winter (Dec-Feb) out of Baltimore or
somewhere within a day's drive. The choices seem to be limited to
Celebrity Mercury or Carnival Pride, and the Pride only goes to the
Bahamas and is a much bigger ship than I like - two strikes against
her.

The Pride is not very much bigger than the Mercury in size or passenger
capacity. I consider them in the same class size wise.

We could do back-to-back on Mercury and do Bahamas and then
Caribbean (9 days and then 12 days), but they apparently don't have
self service laundry. I really don't like not having a laundry
available. What do people do? Maybe I should just to the Caribbean.

People send their laundry out to the ships laundry to be done. That is
what people do.....

--
Charles
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Charles wrote:

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

I'd like to do a cruise this winter (Dec-Feb) out of Baltimore or
somewhere within a day's drive. The choices seem to be limited to
Celebrity Mercury or Carnival Pride, and the Pride only goes to the
Bahamas and is a much bigger ship than I like - two strikes against
her.

The Pride is not very much bigger than the Mercury in size or passenger
capacity. I consider them in the same class size wise.

Celebrity says Mercury is 1,886 passengers and is 866 ft long.
Carnival Pride has 2,124 passengers and is 963 feet long - about 240
more passengers and about 100 feet longer. We've been happy with
1,078 to 1,316 pax and 720 feet long, and much less happy with 1,950
to 2,380 passengers and 916 to 965 feet long. Of the two ships,
Mercury is closer to our desired size, having about 500 more pax and
about 140 feet longer. I'm not sure I can get Bob to even go for
Mercury so I don't dare even suggest Pride.

We could do back-to-back on Mercury and do Bahamas and then
Caribbean (9 days and then 12 days), but they apparently don't have
self service laundry. I really don't like not having a laundry
available. What do people do? Maybe I should just to the Caribbean.

People send their laundry out to the ships laundry to be done. That is
what people do.....

I know they do, but I don't want to. I can do two weeks without a
problem, but for three weeks, I'd have to rinse stuff out.

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Charles wrote:

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

[...]

For longer sailings, they typically have a special... like fill a bag for a
set price, not the charge by piece price.

--Tom

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

Celebrity says Mercury is 1,886 passengers and is 866 ft long.
Carnival Pride has 2,124 passengers and is 963 feet long - about 240
more passengers and about 100 feet longer. We've been happy with
1,078 to 1,316 pax and 720 feet long, and much less happy with 1,950
to 2,380 passengers and 916 to 965 feet long. Of the two ships,
Mercury is closer to our desired size, having about 500 more pax and
about 140 feet longer. I'm not sure I can get Bob to even go for
Mercury so I don't dare even suggest Pride.

Both are more similar to each other size wise than your so called
desired size. Yet the insignificant size difference is more important
to you all than that the two ships are two different styles of ship,
cruise line and cruise experiences.

I know they do, but I don't want to. I can do two weeks without a
problem, but for three weeks, I'd have to rinse stuff out.

You asked what people do when you meant you don't want to do what
people do for some reason.

--
Charles
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee McCauley[_2_]

Charles wrote:
In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

I'd like to do a cruise this winter (Dec-Feb) out of Baltimore or
somewhere within a day's drive. The choices seem to be limited to
Celebrity Mercury or Carnival Pride, and the Pride only goes to the
Bahamas and is a much bigger ship than I like - two strikes against
her.

The Pride is not very much bigger than the Mercury in size or passenger
capacity. I consider them in the same class size wise.

We could do back-to-back on Mercury and do Bahamas and then
Caribbean (9 days and then 12 days), but they apparently don't have
self service laundry. I really don't like not having a laundry
available. What do people do? Maybe I should just to the Caribbean.

People send their laundry out to the ships laundry to be done. That is
what people do.....

Nonny had another method, but I don't quite remember the details,
something about putting them in a net and tossing them into the ocean.
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Charles wrote:

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

Celebrity says Mercury is 1,886 passengers and is 866 ft long.
Carnival Pride has 2,124 passengers and is 963 feet long - about 240
more passengers and about 100 feet longer. We've been happy with
1,078 to 1,316 pax and 720 feet long, and much less happy with 1,950
to 2,380 passengers and 916 to 965 feet long. Of the two ships,
Mercury is closer to our desired size, having about 500 more pax and
about 140 feet longer. I'm not sure I can get Bob to even go for
Mercury so I don't dare even suggest Pride.

Both are more similar to each other size wise than your so called
desired size. Yet the insignificant size difference is more important
to you all than that the two ships are two different styles of ship,
cruise line and cruise experiences.

I haven't been on a cruise with either line, so I don't know anything
about the style of those cruise line other than what I've read here.
But I'm not in agreement with what some other people have written
about cruise ships that I HAVE been on or lines that I have sailed
with because what I want in a cruise seems to be quite different than
what most other people want. I don't want luxury - the cheap
minimalist type travel suits me fine.

I know I DON'T want a huge ship. I don't want to walk a mile to get
dinner. But mostly the reason why I don't care for the big ships is
that there are too many people getting off in the ports, and it takes
too long to embark and dis-embark. We don't like waiting in line. If
there was a big ship without a lot of people on it, that would be OK.
[joke]

I don't care about whether the ship has a climbing wall or a bowling
alley or skating rink or a surfboarding place. Good shows are nice,
but I want to be able to have a seat in the theatre and be able to see
the stage from my seat. Live music is nice, but it wouldn't be a deal
breaker. I don't need a hot tub. A place to sit outside in the shade
is nice, but if I can't find one, I'll sit inside.

What I do want is quite modest IMHO. I like to sit down and be waited
on at meals. I don't have to have perfect omelets or gourmet coffee or
cheap drinks. I just want something tasty to eat and water (or
sometimes tea) to drink. And my standards for tasty are apparently
pretty low as I have never been unable to find something that I liked
to eat even on ships where others have said the food was terrible.

I want an inside cabin that I can walk around in without leaping over
furniture when the beds are made up as a king. Other than that, I
don't care about the size. I want a clean cabin. I'd like to be able
to see the TV from the bed and I want a bow camera that works. I
don't care whether I have a tub as long as there is a shower. I want
the toilet to work, and I don't want to smell sewage. I want a place
to put my toothbrush and other such items conveniently in the
bathroom.

I want internet access.

I know what people say about Carnival and Celebrity, but I'd like the
chance to judge for myself.

I know they do, but I don't want to. I can do two weeks without a
problem, but for three weeks, I'd have to rinse stuff out.

You asked what people do when you meant you don't want to do what
people do for some reason.

It was a rhetorical question.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Seehorse Video" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

I'd like to do a cruise this winter (Dec-Feb) out of Baltimore or
somewhere within a day's drive. The choices seem to be limited to
Celebrity Mercury or Carnival Pride, and the Pride only goes to the
Bahamas and is a much bigger ship than I like - two strikes against
her. We could do back-to-back on Mercury and do Bahamas and then
Caribbean (9 days and then 12 days), but they apparently don't have
self service laundry. I really don't like not having a laundry
available. What do people do? Maybe I should just do the Caribbean.

This would be an absolute no-brainer for an old codger like me. B2B for 21
days on Celebrity and treat myself to room service laundry once each cruise,
twice if you pack light. It's a vacation and laundry is work. What would
the trade-off be if you passed on one shore excursion and spent that money
on laundry?

I don't think for that itin. that we'd do any excursions - we've been
to most of those places already.

Have a nice drive to Baltimore,

Harry Cooper

That's what I'd like to do - I hope I can get Bob to agree.