gear for trekking in everest (everest base camp trail) region in december?

Old October 31st, 2005, 08:30 PM

Default gear for trekking in everest (everest base camp trail) region in december?

hello,

would anybody be so kind and provide me some tips for the following
issues:

1) will a sleeping bag with optimum temp -7C be enough? (assuming
sleeping at lodges)
2) what down jacket will I need (expedition type or maybe a light one)?
3) are down pands mandatory/highly_recommended (or warm long johns plus
windstopper pands will be enough)?
4) are gaiters recommended:
a) for everest base camp trail?
b) for crossing cho la pass?
5) are mittens recommended or maybe regular skiing gloves will be
enough?
6) will I need goggles (except glacier sunglasses)?
7) will shorts be useful (guess not :-))?

thanx a lot,
drabol

Old November 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Peter Webb

I went late Oct/early Nov, but can offer the following:

wrote in message
oups.com...
hello,

would anybody be so kind and provide me some tips for the following
issues:

1) will a sleeping bag with optimum temp -7C be enough? (assuming
sleeping at lodges)

I would say no. In some lodges te single rooms (if that is what you want)
are completely unheated, and at 4000m it was -8C at sunrise. 6 weeks later
and 1000m higher it might get very cold, although you can (and should expect
to) sleep reasonably well clothed. If you have time in Khatmandu (a few
days) you can rent or buy, as you can for most of the stuff you will need.

2) what down jacket will I need (expedition type or maybe a light one)?

You need a warm jacket - I had a expedition type - but you wear it
surprisingly little. When you are walking, you are burning calories and you
wear light clothes, and when you are in a lodge the common area where you
eat and play cards is kept a toasty 20C or so through burning yak ****
soaked in kerosene. When you are in your room, your in or under your
sleeping bag.

3) are down pands mandatory/highly_recommended (or warm long johns plus
windstopper pands will be enough)?

I didn't wear my once, but I was there 6 weeks earlier. Your main problem
will be snow and slusk prevension. You will need waterproof pants. Layers
(like you suggest) is best. Its very hard to dry wet clothes.

4) are gaiters recommended:
a) for everest base camp trail?

Yes. You will see snow. Anyway, what are they? $30 a pair?

b) for crossing cho la pass?
5) are mittens recommended or maybe regular skiing gloves will be
enough?

Skiing gloves will be fine if you have them.

6) will I need goggles (except glacier sunglasses)?

No. Ski goggles will work fine if you have them.

7) will shorts be useful (guess not :-))?

Definitely. You might be climbing a mountainside in 20C heat. However, don't
bother packing your swimming costume.

thanx a lot,
drabol

Can you even trek to Everest Base Camp in December? I would have thought
all the lodges would be closed.