Some worry about what cruise ships leave behind

Old October 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker

Default Some worry about what cruise ships leave behind

To Whom It May Concern:

We came across this information in the trades and thought it would be of
interest to this newsgroup as well.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (pagoo ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

SEATTLE - The cruise industry brings in hundreds of millions of dollars into
Seattle. But what does it leave behind?

Local conservationists worry it's billions of gallons of human wastewater.
And they want the Port of Seattle to think about that before undertaking a
huge expansion project.

When the ship Norwegian Sun dumped 40 tons of human waste into the Strait of
Juan de Fuca, state inspectors rushed to the ship. They verified the
dumping, but didn't cite the ship for polluting.

Instead, they worked out an agreement about where and when and what cruise
ships could dump. For instance, ships at the entrance to the Strait should
avoid part of the National Marine Sanctuary but there's no limit to dumping
wastewater in the rest of the Sanctuary.

"The law allows them to dump their sewage sludges in the Olympic Coast
National Marine Sanctuary," says Fred Felleman with Orca Conservancy, "which
I suggest to you is a violation of the National Marine Sanctuary Act."

Felleman says that's just one reason why the whole program needs
re-examination -- this time by the Port of Seattle. They say the Port needs
to be involved because it wants to spend $120 million rebuilding Terminal 91
near Magnolia for cruise ships.

"This basically allows the cruise business to continue to grow," says Wayne
Grotheer with the Port of Seattle, "and the cruise business, every time a
cruise ship comes through here, home-ported here, it's about a million
dollars to the local economy."

Rebuilding the terminal requires an environmental review. Felleman says that
should include what exactly the ships are dumping.

Most cruise ships have advanced wastewater treatment systems. But how much
they're dumping where is not under consideration.

"Well the Department of Ecology actually has an extensive policing program
in place," says Grotheer, explaining why he doesn't think the Port needs to
address the issue.

But the state isn't tracking how much wastewater is discharged where, or
what effect it has on Puget Sound.

And of 11 ships allowed to dump in Puget Sound, only two have completed
toxicity reports.

"I would like to first know what they're discharging into a closed system
like Puget Sound before we just turn our eyes and say it's good for the
economy," concludes Felleman.

And before the public spends $120 million for a cruise ship terminal,
Felleman wants decision makers to know what those ships are leaving in Puget
Sound.

The Port of Seattle is accepting comments on its Draft Environmental Impact
Statement until November 2. Seattle's 2006 cruise season just ended with 197
ships berthing here.

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
F.

John

You have not been up front with this group. The issue of your license to do
business as a T/A is now in question. Your posts are of a deseptive nature
and are concidered as spam. You must stop this immediatly. As a last resort
I will contact your employer and FTC if you continue. You are probally a
nice guy but you are not a T/A.

Fred

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"John Sisker" wrote

We came across this information in the trades and thought it would be of
interest to this newsgroup as well.

Well, no you didn't.

You copied this article from http://www.komotv.com/stories/46074.htm That
is a TV news website (station KOMO, Seattle) and certainly not a trade
publication.

You posted it without attribution and I sincerely doubt that you have
written permission to do so.

Here is KOMO's copyright policy:

"This site contains copyrighted material of Fisher Communications, Inc.
(KOMO RADIO-TV) which may not be copied, distributed or re-used in any way
without KOMO RADIO-TV's prior written consent."

Of course, you claim that you ALWAYS have permission from the sources before
you post anything so please prove me wrong and post the written permission
you received from KOMO allowing you to use their copyrighted material
without
giving proper attribution.

Once again, I won't hang by my thumbs waiting for an answer.

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

February 10, 2007 - Valentine's Group - http://cruisemaster.com/grandeur.htm
April 29, 2007 GGC2007 http://cruisemaster.com/pride.htm
October 14, 2007 MOAGC 3 - http://www.moagc-3.com

Old October 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker

It appears that some think CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) is
the licensing bureau for cruise travel agencies, but that's like thinking
the Auto Club is a requirement for a drivers license. CLIA, while indeed a
benefit, is no more than a voluntary membership group. However, even so,
Ship-To-Shore Cruise Agency® is an Associate Member, while I personally am
an Accredicated Cruise Counsellor (ACC) - which has already been pointed out
before.

As for the comment that the related article came from a private source, that
originally may well be. However, what was personally sent to me by the
trades, was slated for general circulation and even came without any
reference to the original source.

Old October 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
F.

"John Sisker" wrote in message
hlink.net...
It appears that some think CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association)
is the licensing bureau for cruise travel agencies, but that's like
thinking the Auto Club is a requirement for a drivers license. CLIA, while
indeed a benefit, is no more than a voluntary membership group. However,
even so, Ship-To-Shore Cruise Agency® is an Associate Member, while I
personally am an Accredicated Cruise Counsellor (ACC) - which has already
been pointed out before.

As for the comment that the related article came from a private source,
that originally may well be. However, what was personally sent to me by
the trades, was slated for general circulation and even came without any
reference to the original source.

John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (pagoo ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

So...............What does associate status do for the cruising public? Why
not be a member? Like I said before, hanging on someone's coat tails is not
my idea of a T/A.

Second..........Just what does it take to be a ACC?

Now........Correct me if I am wrong here, Anyone can be an associate, anyone
can be ACC, anyone can put up a web site, anyone can get a toll free number,
anyone can do what you do. So.....................Who the hell needs you
John? I said it before, I thought you were really something and now I find
out you are just a mobile home salesman in white shoes and part time
whatever you think you are. If and goldie were the only agents alive, I'd go
with goldie just to **** you off.

I think I'll call goldie and bury the axe............I want to be an
associate with his agency. Does that mean I have to buy white shoes?

Old October 21st, 2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"John Sisker" wrote

As for the comment that the related article came from a private source,
that originally may well be. However, what was personally sent to me by
the trades, was slated for general circulation and even came without any
reference to the original source.

Incredible!

The only person who believes you is Morgan Fairchild, who I married
yesterday. It was a quiet ceremony attended by 200..... no, 2,000 people
and we were married by Billy Graham.... no, I mean the Pope. Yeah, that's
it... the Pope came over in his Pope-mobile and married us. (We call the
Pope-mobile the "Porta-Popie)

And then we took everyone to Hawaii... no Bora Bora.... for the
reception...........

Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "John Sisker" :

It appears that some think CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) is
the licensing bureau for cruise travel agencies, but that's like thinking
the Auto Club is a requirement for a drivers license. CLIA, while indeed a
benefit, is no more than a voluntary membership group. However, even so,
Ship-To-Shore Cruise Agency® is an Associate Member, while I personally am
an Accredicated Cruise Counsellor (ACC) - which has already been pointed out
before.

As for the comment that the related article came from a private source, that
originally may well be. However, what was personally sent to me by the
trades, was slated for general circulation and even came without any
reference to the original source.

Cites? Name sources.

I own copyrights and am a stickler for little things like that.
--
dillon

If you can't figure out how to unmunge my
address, email me and I'll explain it.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
F.

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
Thus spake "John Sisker" :

[...]

I still want to know how does one go about becoming a ACC and an associate
member to CLIA.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jimbo

George Leppla wrote:
And then we took everyone to Hawaii... no Bora Bora.... for the
reception...........
You meant the annulment.....no divorce right?
jdr