West Cost road trip

Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Paula

A coastal driving trip is fun, but young single guys (esp. Kiwis!)
need to make Las Vegas their priority. The clubs are awesome (as are
the strip clubs - my male friends tell me!). IMO, scenery is
secondary!

Seattle is cool. I would recommend a stop at Mt. St. Helens (not sure
about crater lake, though...). Not much to see in Portland, IMO.

We just did a drive down the Oregon Coast. You MUST, MUST, MUST rent
ATVs just outside Florence and ride the sand dunes. You will not
regret it. If you want the real experience, too, go on a sand dunes
tour in one of those six seater dune buggies. The drivers are nuts
and take you on a 30 minute sand roller coaster ride! Shopping is
cheap in Oregon (even with the exchange) as Oregon has no state sales
tax! Yippee!!!! I know guys don't really do shopping, but even my
husband got a little excited at the Nike Factory Store in Seaside -
CHEAP!!! Of course, Seaside is also very pretty (as is Cannon Beach).
Go to Mo's restaurant along the coast to experience some great clam
chowder! You can camp at some State parks along the Oregon coast for
a great coastal experience.

The rest of your itinerary sounds do-able. You can drive from San
Fran to Reno, then down to LV (Day trip to Grand Canyon should be fine
for your tight schedule), then back over to the coast.

Did you think of starting out more north and going to Vancouver, too?
It's only 2.5 hours from Seattle and you could check out Whistler,
too. Canadians and Kiwis are totally similar kinds of people (we both
like our drink!). I live in Vancouver, so of course, I am biased.

Have an awesome time, whatever you choose. Remember GO TO LAS
VEGAS!!!! I am convinced that will be the highlight of your trip (and
the Grand Canyon, too).

Cheers!
Paula

(Dave) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,

A good friend and I are finally doing the classic US road trip that
we've talked about for the last decade or so ... a 17 day trip from
Seattle to San Diego in a hired convertible. We've got a few must see
places ... Yosemite, San Fran, Oregon coastline and hopefully the
Grand Canyon via Vegas if time permits. We're probably looking to
spend a reasonable chunk of time travelling down the 101 (or other
coastal roads) before cutting inland towards the Canyon from about
Santa Barbara, and then back towards San Diego.

I'm looking for a few tips from those in the know about other places
that we just can't miss ... or handy hints about the places that I've
mentioned. Just general thoughts are good, I'm not expecting a day by
day itinerary.

To give an idea, we're both late 20's, single guys from New Zealand,
looking to see the sights on and off the tourist trails during the
day, and enjoying the bars and clubs at night.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:46 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

Cheers - We'd taken a look at these on the map, not to mention the
compulsary Lonely Planet writeup, and had figured that Mt St Helens &
Crater Lake NP had to be on the cards. Actually, a question to go
with that - are these viable as a day trip from Seattle (we'll be
spending a few days there with friends before hitting the road
proper), or should we wait until we're on our way south?

Mt St Helens can certainly be done as a day trip
but not Crater Lake. Its at least an 8 hour drive along
some pretty steep and winding roads.

If coming down from Seattle one option is to go
to Mt St Helens then drive down the Interstate
to Medford for an overnight stop

Then you can drive to crater lake on route 62
and when your done drive on to Oregon

When are you making the trip ?

We pick up the car at the end of this month, and fly out the middle of
October...

October is a little dicy for crater lake , winter arrives
early up there, plan on making the trp but check the
weather locally before you actually drive up there.

Keith

Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:26 AM
Icono Clast

Paula wrote:
Las Vegas . . . the strip clubs.

The absolutely gorgeous (when made up) woman I know, 36, who works in
one is gay. I attended her "Committed Couple" ceremony last year.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Old September 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Cudex" wrote in message
In article ,
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

When are you making the trip ?

If its in summer I'd suggest 2 possible itineraries

Hi, excuse me if I butt in here, my wife and Ifrom Australia will be
landing in LA from 8 Dec '04 then flying out of NY 1 Jan '05...23 days
how does that affect your recommendations previously posted.

Considerably

Given that you probably have limited snow driving experience
and the rental car will not have snow chains you will have to curtail
much of the original recommendations

Mount Rainier NP is only partially open and chains are essential.
I've seen 2 foot deep snow up at the visitor centre in June

Mount St Helens will be inaccessible beyond coldwater ridge

Only the South entrance and lodge at Crater Lake
will be open and you shouldnt attempt even that
without chains and some experience of winter driving

In short I'd advies sticking to the coastal route down
through Oregon and California taking in Redwoods
NP

Undecided about how wer're crossing the US, but considering driving at
least the West Coast and definitely sounds like were too ambitious about
fitting everything in including Grand Canyon & Las Vegas.

With the time table suggested the Grand Canyon and
Las Vegas may well be feasible but you'll have to drive
south of the Sierra's via Bakersfield as Tioga pass
will be closed. This is a great time of year to
visit Death Valley NP too

Keith

Old September 8th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Cudex

In article ,
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"Cudex" wrote in message
In article ,
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

When are you making the trip ?

If its in summer I'd suggest 2 possible itineraries

Hi, excuse me if I butt in here, my wife and Ifrom Australia will be
landing in LA from 8 Dec '04 then flying out of NY 1 Jan '05...23 days
how does that affect your recommendations previously posted.

Considerably

Given that you probably have limited snow driving experience
and the rental car will not have snow chains you will have to curtail
much of the original recommendations

Mount Rainier NP is only partially open and chains are essential.
I've seen 2 foot deep snow up at the visitor centre in June

Yes, now that I perused the atlas...I think we'll fly into SF, and
basically head south -- LA, San Diego, inland to LV for Grand Canyon,
Death Valley and via whatever else I stumble across in my research. I
imagine the driving south of SF to be the highlight something like our
"Great Ocean Road" in Victoria, Australia.
Then rail or fly to NY via Chicago. US is just too damned big for my 23
day holiday (UK, Scotland, Western Europe & Istanbul on the way home so
trying to pack it all in 7 weeks!)

Mark.