Jersey City good alternative to MT?

Old September 7th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Bea Foroni

Default Jersey City good alternative to MT?

We are planning a 1 week trip to NYC next spring. We can get a great
deal
on a hotel in Jersey City. Would this be a good alternative to staying
in Mid Town? Any comments on safety of JC and transit difficulties
would be appreciated.
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Bea Foroni

Pan wrote in message . ..
On 6 Sep 2004 17:13:38 -0700, (Bea Foroni) wrote:

We are planning a 1 week trip to NYC next spring. We can get a great
deal
on a hotel in Jersey City. Would this be a good alternative to staying
in Mid Town?

No, but I don't recommend staying in the Theater District either, if
that's part of your question. The east 50s are OK, though. If you want
to stay cheaply, why not consider a YMCA, rather than a stay in Jersey
City? The YMCAs on Vanderbildt Av. on the East Side and 23 St. in
Chelsea have gotten positive writeups here, and I'm sure the YMCA at
63 St. is still fine - nothing luxurious, mind you, but a good value
and location. As for the hotel in Jersey City, do you know what kind
of place it is? Sometimes, hotels are cheap for a reason.

Any comments on safety of JC and transit difficulties
would be appreciated.

I don't frequent Jersey City, but my general impression is that I'd be
surprised if it were safer than New York and unsurprised if it were
less safe.

For New Jersey, Jersey City has good transportation connections to New
York, but it still isn't the same as being in New York.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

This advice seems to be the norm for questions regarding stays in
NYC. Screw it, I ain't going. No way am I staying in a Y. I work hard
all year and I kind of wanted some value for my vacation dollar. I
have some dignity even after working 60 - 70 hours of week with the
public. For this reason I refuse to have to share a bathroom.

$200 - $300 a night is rediculous for decent room. I think I'll take
2 or 3 vacations in Vegas or Orlando or the Big EZ for what NYC wants
to charge. Right after 9-11 it was a different story, but now it is if
you ain't got lots of bucks you got to live with the roaches and the
bums and the drug dealers. Think maybe I'll get a big screen TV and
watch it on the Travel Channel.
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Rita

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:36:15 +0200, B wrote:

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:13:25 -0400, John Ramsay
wrote:

Here's a message I posted earlier. We used to stay
in Jersey City near the PATH/Holland Tunnel
but the motel burned down.

We drove North Bergen one time. The motels
listed below were pretty respectable looking.

Comfort Suites N Bergen Walking distance to NYC bus $59.99

Howard Johnson N Bergen Walking distance to NYC bus $39.99

Everyone has different expectations, of course, but one of the
problems for me with staying in New Jersey is that you can't just drop
some stuff off in your room, and you can't very easily go back for a
little nap and a wash-up before dinner, unless you want to have dinner
at the North Bergen White Castle.

Indeed, I think it is only fair to point out to those who have not
visited New York City how tiring touring it can be. You are using
public transportation, not cruising about in a comfortable car
(unless you are crazy and think you can do that in NYC). One
may well want to return to one's hotel room for a rest/nap to
regain one's steam. New York City is best experienced in frequent
doses, with time out for recouping energy in between. So it is
an entirely different experience to stay in the city and be a
commuter.