buying trekking equipment in Nepal

Old September 16th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Nick

Default buying trekking equipment in Nepal

Hi everybody,

is it possible to buy cheap trekking equipment with reasonable quality
in Nepal ? I plan to do the annapurna circuit in october/november, and
here in Germany, the trekking stuff is quite expensive.

TIA

nick
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Wander Woman

YES YES YES, a lot to be found in Katmandu, and even more in Pokhara.
It is labeled as name brand, probably a knockoff, but still, most of it is
well constructed,
at maybe 25% to 50% of normal retail pricing. Just look it over good.

om...

Old September 17th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Bob

You can also get some very good deals on second hand, brand name gear in
Kathmandu in any of the many trekking shops, as well as very reasonably
priced new stuff that's made in Asia for the "big" equipment companies.

Bob

--
Travel and Astonomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Old September 25th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Nick

Hi Patrick,

thx for your message.

Regarding the current situation in Nepal, of course, I am aware of the
fact that it is getting more dangerous there. The question is how to
judge.

I talked and wrote to some other people travelling frequently to
Nepal. It was mentioned that the situation isn't worse than the past
years (stating that the cease fire period was something like a
"better" time and now everything has gone back to "normality")

Still, I have three weeks left to my departure and I will watch and
read closely all news regarding the current political situation there.
Besides that, I also count on the german Federal Foreign Office which
hasn't issued a travel warning for Nepal yet.

but thx anyways

Nick

(Patrick Powers) wrote in message . com...
(Nick) wrote in message . com...
Hi everybody,

is it possible to buy cheap trekking equipment with reasonable quality
in Nepal ? I plan to do the annapurna circuit in october/november, and
here in Germany, the trekking stuff is quite expensive.

TIA

nick

You can buy a good quality sleeping bag used in ex. condition for $50,
or rent for a month for $13.

Let me warn you that the political situation is deteriorating. There
have been a number of assasinations in the past few weeks. Soon there
is a festival in which the king will place a red mark on the forehead
of anyone who comes to the palace. The Maoists have declared that
anyone with a tika that day will be shot. This seems like very bad
news to me.

A local man told me that the army shot and killed two tourists in
Durbar Square for taking photographs and this was not reported for
fear of loss of business. I find it hard to believe, but....

Several people have told me they came to Kathmandu because in the
hills they must either join the Maoists or be killed. I'm am staying
near an army base and they can be heard practicing with live
ammunition. A volley of fifty guns sounds like a load of bricks being
dropped.

The consensus is that I should not go trekking until the situation
cools down. Maybe in the middle of October. But I'm thinking India
or Tibet would be a better choice.