Italy (Sicily prehaps) in October ?

Old July 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
DrLargePants[_1_]

Default Italy (Sicily prehaps) in October ?

Whats the weather likley to be like in Sicily during October ? Having
recently overcome a longstanding fear of flying, we've decided that our
honeymoon will be much cheaper if we go abroad somewhere rather than
our existing destination of Scotland !

I'm not into really hot weather (hence Scotland!, but warm. Don't
think I'd be up to long haul either.

Any other sugestions ?

many thanks

Sean

Old July 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"DrLargePants" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
Whats the weather likley to be like in Sicily during October ? Having
recently overcome a longstanding fear of flying, we've decided that our
honeymoon will be much cheaper if we go abroad somewhere rather than
our existing destination of Scotland !

I'm not into really hot weather (hence Scotland!, but warm. Don't
think I'd be up to long haul either.

Any other sugestions ?

many thanks

Sean

Sicily is a big island.. you should refine yr search..
climate is normally mild.
It is not a rarity to see people sunbathing in January February
I am sure in October you can still swim.. with water still warm enough

Old July 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, DrLargePants wrote:

Whats the weather likley to be like in Sicily during October ? Having

It depends. Not quite on which part of Sicily but on altitude and on
general weather conditions.

I've found very mild winters in Palermo, but if it gets cold you suffer
it more than here in the north because they have poor heating.

I've suffered bloody cold in Erice in May, and stayed decently in late
October, but Erice is peculiar because it's almost 1000 m high on a peak
overhanging the sea (but is a place worth visiting). The centre of
Sicily has rather high mountains, and Etna is a volcano about 3000 m
high (and worth visiting) so take usual mountain wear.

I've suffered the heat (more the humidity than the heat) in a seaside
place north of Catania in October.

I've encountered large thunderstorms on the motorway north of Catania in
September and had to wait one night to cross to the Eolian island
because of rough sea (but they are all places worth going).

I remember a terrible heat in March in Palermo because scirocco was
blowing (a hot and humid wind from Africa, and it does not matter if
Palermo is on the north coast). Scirocco can blow any time.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Larry at Morro Bay

DrLargePants wrote:
Whats the weather likley to be like in Sicily during October ?

Palermo weather records:

Records and Averages
Daily Records and Averages at weather.com Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg.
Precip.
January 58.6° F 50.4° F 2.80 in
February 59.2° F 50.2° F 2.60 in
March 61.0° F 51.6° F 2.30 in
April 65.1° F 55.2° F 1.70 in
May 71.2° F 60.8° F 1.00 in
June 77.2° F 67.5° F 0.50 in
July 82.9° F 73.2° F 0.20 in
August 83.8° F 74.5° F 0.50 in
September 79.9° F 70.7° F 1.60 in

October 73.2° F 64.0° F 3.90 in

November 66.7° F 57.7° F 3.70 in
December 60.8° F 52.7° F 3.20 in

Larry at Morro Bay, California

Old July 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

DrLargePants wrote:

Whats the weather likley to be like in Sicily during October ?

Sicily is a very large island. Besides being big, it's coastal at the edges
(obviously), and mountainous in the interior. That means the interior is
typically much colder than the coast. What the climate is depends greatly on
what parts of it you visit.

That said, I think most of the places tourists usually want to visit are on
the coast, and should be mild in October.

I love Sicily, by the way, and recommend it highly.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 14th, 2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
DrLargePants[_1_]

That said, I think most of the places tourists usually want to visit are on
the coast, and should be mild in October.

I love Sicily, by the way, and recommend it highly.

Thanks for that. Whats the public transport like ? I'm tempted to
hire a car (an Alfa of course), but driving on the right freaks me out!

Old July 15th, 2006, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Ken Blake" kirjoitti

I think public transport isn't great, but someone else may be able to
answer better than I can. I've always rented a car (a FIAT of course).
Driving on the left freaks me out, but I'm fine in Italy.

Why don't you drive on the right then?

Old July 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2006-07-14 06:01:35 -0500, "DrLargePants" said:

Whats the weather likley to be like in Sicily during October ? Having
recently overcome a longstanding fear of flying, we've decided that our
honeymoon will be much cheaper if we go abroad somewhere rather than
our existing destination of Scotland !

I visited Sicily around then, and it was very sunny but only sometimes
hot. Not too bad. Maybe bring some sunscreen with you, it'll be
expensive over there.

I'm not into really hot weather (hence Scotland!, but warm. Don't
think I'd be up to long haul either.

Any other sugestions ?

Well, as compared to the UK there aren't all the cozy B&Bs everywhere
in Sicily. Apart from the 'sites' frankly a lot of it seems run-down.
So I would suggest looking hard for a nicer-looking hotel. Sicily is a
nice place if you're into volcanoes, ancient greek and roman sites, or
norman or baroque architecture, but I'm not qualified to comment on
honeymoons.

many thanks

One more thing - Ryanair flies into Palermo.

Also, you might consider getting your rental car outside Palermo, back
at te airport once you've finished seeing Palermo. The traffic is a
little crazy, especially if you're not used to driving on the left side
of the car / right side of the road.

Sean

Good luck!

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

Old July 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2006-07-14 16:52:28 -0500, "DrLargePants" said:

That said, I think most of the places tourists usually want to visit are on
the coast, and should be mild in October.

I love Sicily, by the way, and recommend it highly.

Thanks for that. Whats the public transport like ? I'm tempted to
hire a car (an Alfa of course), but driving on the right freaks me out!

I highly recommend renting a car, you can go everywhere you want to that way.

I suggested in the other post that you rent you car at the Palermo
airport _after_ visiting Palermo. Because the early highlway driving
you can do will help you acclimate. Just be aware that the natives
there might regard signage as "optional" -- it is really quite
liberating once you get into it.

As when I hire a car in the UK, I recommend you get the smallest car
possible. This will not only give you more room on normal roads (which
are typically wider than in the UK), but if you should decided to visit
a hill town in the center of Sicily you'll appreciate it the more
because it means you'll be able to litterally FIT. I once visited a
place that had one-way entrance to the top of the town, and one-way
down. And the one-way down was more narrow than the one-way up! So in
my little Matisse I had to fold in the door mirrors in order to fit in
the tiny cobblestone streets.

Old July 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Ken Blake" kirjoitti

I think public transport isn't great, but someone else may be able to
answer better than I can. I've always rented a car (a FIAT of
course). Driving on the left freaks me out, but I'm fine in Italy.

Why don't you drive on the right then?

I do.Never driven on any other side.