through town or double the milage on motorway?

Old April 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
JWBH

Default through town or double the milage on motorway?

I will have to make a journey on a regular basis (mainly at weekends) from
north london U.K. (finchley central) to edenbridge in kent, which is due
south of london.

The online RAC route planner tells me if i go all the way around the M25
instead of going down through the centre of london is will be almost exactly
*twice* the milage. the time scale they estimate for both routes is very
similar, being within ten minutes of the other route.

Since my son drives we would travel pretty briskly on both routes. The car
is a twelve year old toyota corolla 1.3 GL.

Just off the top of your head, which way of travelling, either down through
London or going around the M25, is likely to work out the most 'economical'
purely from the petrol consumption point of view? thanks.

Old April 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Stewart DIBBS

"JWBH" wrote in message
Just off the top of your head, which way of travelling, either down
through London or going around the M25, is likely to work out the most
'economical' purely from the petrol consumption point of view?

No vehicle gets half the mileage on the highway vs city. So the city route
is the more economical. HOWEVER, you may find it more pleasant to not be
stop start traffic, and use a bit more gas.

SD

Old April 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
d.g.s.

On 4/1/2007 9:06 AM Stewart DIBBS jumped down, turned around, and wrote:

"JWBH" wrote in message
Just off the top of your head, which way of travelling, either down
through London or going around the M25, is likely to work out the most
'economical' purely from the petrol consumption point of view?

No vehicle gets half the mileage on the highway vs city. So the city route
is the more economical. HOWEVER, you may find it more pleasant to not be
stop start traffic, and use a bit more gas.

On the M25 orbital, there's a good chance of being in stop-start traffic
anyway, isn't there?

A look on Google Maps suggests that "JWBH" will be looking at something
near to 100km or so using the M25 vs about 50 km through London, and
taking about an hour on the M25, assuming motorway speeds. However, if
there's any sort of cockup on the M25 - and odds are good that there
will be, even at the weekend - the speed and time advantage will be
negated, and more petrol will be consumed for the journey.

Bit of a crapshoot, innit?
--
dgs
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Alt Beer

"JWBH" wrote in message
I will have to make a journey on a regular basis (mainly at weekends) from
north london U.K. (finchley central) to edenbridge in kent, which is due
south of london.

What time of the day will you be starting your journey, very early morning
or not?

Old April 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Timo Geusch

JWBH wrote:

I will have to make a journey on a regular basis (mainly at weekends)
from north london U.K. (finchley central) to edenbridge in kent,
which is due south of london.

I used to live near Finchley Central and now live in the wilds of Kent.

All I can say from experience that both routes are ****. If you want to
go through town, do it as early as possible in the morning and you
should have a clear road.

In fact, I'd be tempted to take the North Circular - Blackwall Tunnel
- A20 - M25 route myself as that's probably the best compromise
regarding distance and time.

--
'89 Mazda RX-7 Convertible
'91 Honda CRX 16V
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Jeff Strickland

Personally, I'd mix it up a bit, with the priority being the motorway route.
As much as I like country driving, going through town(s) will involve
stop-n-go situations that put more wear and tear on the mechanics of the
car. Assuming the motorway is clear, all you get is go, no stops. Fuel
mileage will be better on the motorway, but not twice as good. Your speed
could easily be double that of the country road, therefore the trip time
would equal out even though the distance is greater. Taking the road through
town will give opportunities for a pint and some chips, which would be my
rationale for mixing the routes up a bit.

Old April 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Chris Whelan

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Assuming the motorway is clear, all you get is go, no stops.

The OP mentioned the M25...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Blagovest

JWBH wrote:
I will have to make a journey on a regular basis (mainly at weekends) from
north london U.K. (finchley central) to edenbridge in kent, which is due
south of london.

The online RAC route planner tells me if i go all the way around the M25
instead of going down through the centre of london is will be almost exactly
*twice* the milage. the time scale they estimate for both routes is very
similar, being within ten minutes of the other route.

Since my son drives we would travel pretty briskly on both routes. The car
is a twelve year old toyota corolla 1.3 GL.

Just off the top of your head, which way of travelling, either down through
London or going around the M25, is likely to work out the most 'economical'
purely from the petrol consumption point of view? thanks.

You cross-posted so many times, I'm surprised you didn't think to ask on
alt.dickheads.

Blago
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Pete M

In ,
JWBH wittered on forthwith;
I will have to make a journey on a regular basis (mainly at weekends)
from north london U.K. (finchley central) to edenbridge in kent,
which is due south of london.

The online RAC route planner tells me if i go all the way around the
M25 instead of going down through the centre of london is will be
almost exactly *twice* the milage. the time scale they estimate for
both routes is very similar, being within ten minutes of the other
route.
Since my son drives we would travel pretty briskly on both routes.
The car is a twelve year old toyota corolla 1.3 GL.

Just off the top of your head, which way of travelling, either down
through London or going around the M25, is likely to work out the
most 'economical' purely from the petrol consumption point of view?
thanks.

the most sensible thing to do is leave the blighted and inferior South and
move up north where we don't have these problems.

--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Golf GTi (Dead),

Currently listening to the 747s "Zampano"

Old April 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.toyota
Jeff[_12_]

"JWBH" wrote in message
I will have to make a journey on a regular basis (mainly at weekends) from
north london U.K. (finchley central) to edenbridge in kent, which is due
south of london.

The online RAC route planner tells me if i go all the way around the M25
instead of going down through the centre of london is will be almost
exactly *twice* the milage. the time scale they estimate for both routes
is very similar, being within ten minutes of the other route.

Since my son drives we would travel pretty briskly on both routes. The car
is a twelve year old toyota corolla 1.3 GL.

Just off the top of your head, which way of travelling, either down
through London or going around the M25, is likely to work out the most
'economical' purely from the petrol consumption point of view? thanks.

The Underground route. (For those of you in the US, the underground is the
name given to the subway).

If you insist on using a car, you'll use less petrol (gasoline to those of
you on the west side of the Atlantic) if you take the shorter route,
especially if you use proper driving practices like no jack-rabbit stops and
starts and keeping your tires properly inflated.

You'll get even better mileage if you join a car-pool.

Jeff