Traffic fine in Spain

Old March 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rajko Malojčić

Default Traffic fine in Spain

Spannish police has seen me with a cell phone on the motorway in a rented
car. They did not stop me but I have just gotten an uninscribed letter with
a requirement to pay 150 Eu. I live in Croatia, outside EU. What should I
do?

Old March 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:54:26 +0100 schrieb Rajko Malojčić:

Spannish police has seen me with a cell phone on the motorway in a rented
car. They did not stop me but I have just gotten an uninscribed letter with
a requirement to pay 150 Eu. I live in Croatia, outside EU. What should I
do?

If you don't plan to come back to Spain in the next few years, you can
ignore it. There is no way they can get the money from you, unless the
car-rental-company charges it on your credit card (they sometimes do).

The police can't get the money from you directly. Thats only possible
between some EU countires that have an agreement (like Austria and
Germany).

Regards,

Frank (150 EUR for using a cell phone? They're mad down there. It's
something like 20 - 40 EUR here in Germany IIRC)
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:
Am Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:54:26 +0100 schrieb Rajko Malojčić:

Spannish police has seen me with a cell phone on the motorway in a rented
car. They did not stop me but I have just gotten an uninscribed letter with
a requirement to pay 150 Eu. I live in Croatia, outside EU. What should I
do?

If you don't plan to come back to Spain in the next few years, you can
ignore it. There is no way they can get the money from you, unless the
car-rental-company charges it on your credit card (they sometimes do).

The police can't get the money from you directly. Thats only possible
between some EU countires that have an agreement (like Austria and
Germany).

Regards,

Frank (150 EUR for using a cell phone? They're mad down there. It's
something like 20 - 40 EUR here in Germany IIRC)

Since Feb 1st in Germany most of the fines are almost double what they
used to be. Phoning on your "handy" costs 40€ now.
It's still cheaper than in a lot of other countries.

See http://www.bmvbs.de/Verkehr-,1405.14...eldkatalog.htm

btw did you see how much you can get fined for tailgating?

T.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:05:04 +0100 schrieb Tom P:

See http://www.bmvbs.de/Verkehr-,1405.14...eldkatalog.htm

btw did you see how much you can get fined for tailgating?

Yes, though in practice this is hardly fined, as a police car would have to
actually tape you driving to close. Can't do that with stationary cameras.

So in reality you have to be quite unlucky to get fined for that.

Regards,

Frank
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Default Traffic fine in Spain : more help from martin the local clown.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:54:26 +0100, "Rajko Malojčić"
wrote:

Spannish police has seen me with a cell phone on the motorway in a rented
car. They did not stop me but I have just gotten an uninscribed letter
with
a requirement to pay 150 Eu. I live in Croatia, outside EU. What should I
do?

Remember: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
--

Martin