Late June in Oz?

Old May 7th, 2011, 05:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Myron Buck

Default Late June in Oz?

Hi everyone;
The wife and I have a 2-week vacation coming up in the last half of
June, and are thinking of seeing part of Australia. We know its far
too little for a 'whirlwind' tour, and that's ok. We also definitely
do NOT like doing the 'typical tourist stops', and we never really
feel like a visit to a country means hopping from one city to another.
We typically like to head OUT of town, do some walking, see some
wonderful scenery, and get to know the landscape rather than the in-
town hotels, bars and shops.

Any suggestions on a good itinerary? So far, we have considered the
following;
1) Fly into Perth, rent a campervan and do a loop drive up to Port
Hedland and back.
2) Fly into Perth, rent a car for a week and visit the Margaret River
area, staying in guesthouses....then do a campervan hire up to Shark
Bay and back.
3) Fly into Darwin and spend 2 weeks exploring the Kimberly region (we
don't know enough about rental vehicles, etc yet, though)
4) Spend 2 weeks in Taz. (Unfortunately, we know its winter down
there, and are unsure of how cold it will be or how hard to explore
off the beaten track)
5) Fly into Brisbane, rent a campervan and spend two weeks exploring
the coast up to Cape York and back.

Temps and prices have an effect on our itinerary, but we can imagine
spending about $3000 each on this outing. I like fishing, camping
under the stars, and seeing way cool natural scenery. She likes
relaxing, reading, and riding on the passenger side.

Any suggestions of a great 2-week itinerary. The size of Oz means we
really have to do our homework before landing on the wrong side of the
continent. :-)

Thanks
Old May 7th, 2011, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Myron Buck

On May 7, 12:14*pm, Myron Buck wrote:

Temps and prices have an effect on our itinerary, but we can imagine
spending about $3000 each on this outing.

I should add that this includes airfare from HK. So our 'land budget'
in Oz is about $2000 each.

Old May 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit

"Myron Buck" wrote in message
On May 7, 12:14 pm, Myron Buck wrote:

Temps and prices have an effect on our itinerary, but we can imagine
spending about $3000 each on this outing.

I should add that this includes airfare from HK. So our 'land budget'
in Oz is about $2000 each.

Fly to Perth. Rent a camper and drive to Karajini National Park. Then make
your way to Exmouth and explore the Ningaloo Reef. Drive back down to Perth
via Kalbarrie.
More than enough for two weeks.

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 8th, 2011, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Myron Buck

On May 7, 9:01*pm, "Gerrit" wrote:
"Myron Buck" wrote in message

On May 7, 12:14 pm, Myron Buck wrote:

Temps and prices have an effect on our itinerary, but we can imagine
spending about $3000 each on this outing.

I should add that this includes airfare from HK. So our 'land budget'
in Oz is about $2000 each.

Fly to Perth. Rent a camper and drive to Karajini National Park. Then make
your way to Exmouth and explore the Ningaloo Reef. Drive back down to Perth
via Kalbarrie.
More than enough for two weeks.

Gerrit - Oz

Hey Gerrit...I'm looking online at that itinerary, and it looks great!
Some good road miles, some interesting stops, and plenty of places to
park a campervan and hang out. What are the rules on camping in the
bush? Do you have to use a commercial or public campground if one is
available, or can you just pull off anywhere you want? And what about
fishing...looks like the river fishing season is closed for June/July,
but what are the rules for sal****er casting?

And last...if you are in that region, can you recommend a good
campervan rental agency? There are several out there, but an 'insiders
recommendation' is always best.

Thanks
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_3_]

"Gerrit" wrote in message

"Myron Buck" wrote in message
On May 7, 12:14 pm, Myron Buck wrote:

Temps and prices have an effect on our itinerary, but we can imagine
spending about $3000 each on this outing.

I should add that this includes airfare from HK. So our 'land budget'
in Oz is about $2000 each.

Fly to Perth. Rent a camper and drive to Karajini National Park. Then make
your way to Exmouth and explore the Ningaloo Reef. Drive back down to
Perth via Kalbarrie.
More than enough for two weeks.

Gerrit - Oz

You could do a similar thing on the East Coast.

Personally I would fly into Sydney, rent a car, drive to Cairns and fly back
from there. It is 3,000 kms, you will only need to average 200 kms/day,
plenty of time for exploring and staying somewhere you like for a couple of
days.

There is lots to see between Sydney and Cairns! You won't see the
outback/desert, but you will be in the tropics for most of it, and the
weather is great up North at that time of year (the dry season).

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Myron Buck

On May 8, 3:08*pm, "Peter Webb"
wrote:
"Gerrit" wrote in message

"Myron Buck" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Peter....that was pretty close to Plan B. The other option
(Plan C) was to fly to Cairns and do a loop trip north. Would it be
advisable to get a campervan for the Syd-Cairns drive? We'd save on
hotels, but it would require there being places to pull over and camp.
Not sure if the policy in Oz is as it is in many places: camp where
you want, or if that stretch is so populous that its required that you
stay in caravan parks (which is less interesting to us).
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit

"Myron Buck" wrote in message

Hey Gerrit...I'm looking online at that itinerary, and it looks great!
Some good road miles, some interesting stops, and plenty of places to
park a campervan and hang out. What are the rules on camping in the
bush? Do you have to use a commercial or public campground if one is
available, or can you just pull off anywhere you want? And what about
fishing...looks like the river fishing season is closed for June/July,
but what are the rules for sal****er casting?

And last...if you are in that region, can you recommend a good
campervan rental agency? There are several out there, but an 'insiders
recommendation' is always best.

Thanks

Not totally sure about camping in the bush. Officially (I think) if you are
within 30 km of a commercial caravan park you should use that but I have yet
to see it policed. Most people who wish to camp in the bush just do so in a
suitable spot. There are a number of camping/overnight stop places looked
after by the roads authority. Also other spots where many people stop for
longer than overnight. It would be best to invest in a book called "Camps 6"
which is the latest edition of a road map book with details of many
free/cheap camping spots. I use it and it is great. There are two versions
one with maps and short descriptions of the camping spots and the other with
many photographs of the camping spots as well.
You may not wild camp in Karajini National park but there is a camping area
within the park.
On the Indian Ocean side of the North West Cape peninsula (Exmouth is on the
opposite side of the peninsula) there are a number of camping spots in the
Cape Range National Park. Again no free camping allowed here but the camping
spots are near the Ningaloo Reef for snorkeling (straight off the beach) and
fishing.
Fishing in the rivers up north is not recommended but beach fishing is
great.
On the way down the coast just north of Carnarvon is Quobba. There are
spectacular blowholes there with water (with the right conditions) spouting
up to 30 feet into the air. Rock fishing and beach fishing in that area are
great. Just be careful of your safety, we lose a few rock fishermen each
year! Also near the blowholes there is a wonderful free camp just a few kms
south along the coast.
There is no camping allowed in Kalbarri National Park so you will have to
use a caravan park in the town of Kalbarri.

I have never rented a camper so cannot point you in the direction of any
provider but any if you Google for "campervan hire perth" you will get a
selection and may choose what suits you best.

Have fun

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
harryoung harryoung is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Buck View Post

Recently a friend of mine booked a small car for 3-4 days in Cairns from http://www.australiarentcar.com . They offered him a great deal and he was very happy with the services and rates. So if you decide to rent a car then you can look into the services offered by this company.