Mexico, Baja California, travel plan?

Old November 1st, 2003, 07:39 AM
Jorielle

Default Mexico, Baja California, travel plan?

Hello,

I am thinking about going to Baja California and NE Mexico for ~2 weeks this
winter. I have always wanted to see Baja and hike Copper Canyon. I have
some primitive plan in mind but I don't know if it's at all do-able and/or
if I'm missing something and some places important. By the way, I will be
Los Angeles around the time of the beginning of the trip, and at the very
end I need to return to Michigan (from either California or Texas, I
suppose).

Los Angeles - San Diego, train
San Diego - southern Baja, bus
Baja: scuba, hiking (possible?), other outdoor activities?
Baja - mainland Mexico, ferry
mainland ferry - Copper Canyon, train?
Copper Canyon: train, hiking, else?
Copper Canyon - ?

I'm into outdoor activities, history, culture, and scenic places.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

Jo

Old November 1st, 2003, 04:03 PM
Richard Cline

In article ,
"Jorielle" wrote:

Get the book Mexico's Copper Canyon Country by M. John Fayhee. He makes
it clear that hiking the canyon is not a trivial exercise. It is a
country where it is easy to get lost. He also includes a lot about the
native Tarahumara Indians. The indians have legendary durability.

Dick

Old November 1st, 2003, 07:53 PM
Guess Who?

Jorielle
The biggest problem facing you is the time of year, and
transportation. It can be pretty nippy in Baja during the winter,
until you get to Los Cabos, and even then, it can get down in the 50s
at night, with the water in the low 60s.
Copper Canyon is just plain cold, with freezing nights at the canyons
rims. It's 8,000 ft at the top.
It's about 36 hours on the bus form TJ to Cabo, and 17+ on the ferry
from Cabo to Mazatlan, then 300 miles north to the train for Copper
Canyon...
Don

Old November 1st, 2003, 11:35 PM
Bill Hilton

From: (Guess Who?)

It's about 36 hours on the bus form TJ to Cabo, and 17+ on the ferry
from Cabo to Mazatlan

Does the ferry run from Cabo or from La Paz?

Bill
Old November 2nd, 2003, 01:48 AM
Guess Who?

Bill
You're right as rain. I was thinking more than I was typing. La
Paz would be a lot more like Mexico than Cabo too! Cabo is
Partyland....
I think Santa Rosalila has one too, over to Topolopampo, (sp) and the
railroad. SR is quaint, but dumpy.
I drove down Baja last year, and was shocked at the amount of litter.
Except for certain areas, the highway looked like a thousand mile long
dump......
Don

Old November 2nd, 2003, 01:44 PM
Bill Hilton

From: (Guess Who?)

You're right as rain. I was thinking more than I was typing.

I think a ferry used to run from Cabo to Vallarta, so that was probably what
you were recalling.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:28 PM
Jorielle

Thanks for the warnings and criticisms. Indeed I just realized that
for ~10 days I cannot do both the Baja and the mainland. Have to
choose one. One problem with Copper Canyon area is that how to get
there to there and come back. Flying to Los Mochis is quite
expensive. And where to go from Chihuaha? A bus to El Paso? It's
expensive to fly from El Paso. Or is it easier to take a bus to
Pheonix? I didn't realize the ferry takes that long to go across from
Baja to mainland. In fact, I have never until now realized the
largeness of Mexico.

To spend the whole time in Baja, is it recommended to rent a car in
TJ, or to take the bus? What about flying to Cabos and rent a car
from there and just to explore the south? Or flying to Loreto? Which
places should not be missed? I've read about Loreto and La Paz to be
the more interesting places in the south. Is hiking in Baja good and
safe? How about backpacking? Worth the extra gear and preparation?

I have several books: Hidden Baja, Frommer's, Lonely Planet, Copper
Canyon (by Fayhee), and Michelin guide. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for more discussions!

Jo

Old November 5th, 2003, 03:53 AM
DS

Default Baja California bus travel

Does anyone have any specifics about bus travel in baja? I am planning on
travelling to Loreto from San Diego around Dec 18 and 19 and returning
around December 30. I understand that the bus trip from Tijuana to Loreto
is something like 17 hours. I understand that the long haul busses from TJ
to Cabo run several times a day. Any idea how to reserve a seat? From the
web, I understand there are a couple of lines, one is ABC and the other is
Tres Estrellas de Oro. I also have read that the buses that travel back
through from Cabo to TJ don't sell reserved seats for departures from
Loreto. Any information would be appreciated.

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Guess Who?

I didn't know there was anyway to reserve a Mexican bus seat, except
buying a ticket for a certain date at the depot.
Why can't you buy a ticket a few days ahead of when you plan to leave?
Don