Trip Report - EWR-DAB (Newark, NJ - Daytona Beach, FL)

Old March 21st, 2004, 03:05 AM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Trip Report - EWR-DAB (Newark, NJ - Daytona Beach, FL)

EWR-DAB (16 March) Scheduled CO2640 (Scheduled for 2:10 Departure)
EWR-MCO Scheduled CO21 (Scheduled for 2:55)

I left work at 11:15 to drive to the airport. There was very little
traffic and I pulled into the P6 lot at 12:00. It had started to snow
around 10:30. By the time I got to the airport there was already about 1.5
inches of snow on the ground. This turned out to be a major snow storm. I
checked the departures as soon as I got to Terminal C. My flight was still
on but there was a lot of canceled flights. Once I go went through
security, I double checked my flight; now it was canceled. I had expected
that because the flight was on an Embraer jet and the tower was telling the
airlines to cancel some of the flights. Customer service gave me a choice
either a 7:55 Pm flight into DAB also an Embraer or a 737 into Orlando
(MCO). After confirming the availability of shuttle buses from Orlando to
Daytona I chose the Orlando flight. I figured the 737 would take off but
the flight to Daytona would probably be canceled or delayed. The gate agent
did tell me that if I rented a car to drive from Orlando to Daytona; I would
not have to pay a drop off fee.
The plane was late coming in from West Palm Beach. It took forever for
the people to get off the plane. There must have been at least 10 people
with wheelchairs. I noticed my window was completely snow covered. After
boarding we waited about 30 minutes to be deiced. This is the first time in
my life I have ever taken off in a snow storm or had been in a plane that
was deiced. It took about 20 minutes to do it. We finally took off at
5:00. I probably was in the only row with an empty middle seat. There was
no food services but we did have two beverage services and some peanuts.
Flight was non eventful. I did notice we reached a top ground speed of 480
mph. This was according to my GPS. I had it on for most of the flight. I
was actually able to get a satellite fix while keeping the unit on the tray
table. Arrival at 7:30 PM.

MCO - Daytona Beach

I got a cheap shuttle bus to Daytona Beach. It was only $27.00. It left
at 8:20 and got in around 9:30.

DAB - EWR CO2919 20-Mar-04 Scheduled Departure 13:00

This was what flying should be. A hassle free noneventful flight. The
equipment was an Embraer regional jet. I got to the airport at 11:30. I
checked in with no line. This is a very small airport. There are only 6
domestic gates and only three of them were being used today. We started to
board at 12:30 and took off at 1:00.I had to gate check my bag but didn't
really care. We landed 30 minutes early. Unfortunately, we had no gate.
We waited about 15 minutes for one to open up. Once we landed it took
another 10 minutes for me to get my carryon that I had gate checked.

dennis

Old March 21st, 2004, 03:31 AM
Joe Momma

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message

This was what flying should be. A hassle free noneventful flight. The
equipment was an Embraer regional jet. I got to the airport at 11:30. I
checked in with no line. This is a very small airport. There are only 6
domestic gates and only three of them were being used today. We started

board at 12:30 and took off at 1:00.I had to gate check my bag but didn't
really care. We landed 30 minutes early. Unfortunately, we had no gate.
We waited about 15 minutes for one to open up. Once we landed it took
another 10 minutes for me to get my carryon that I had gate checked.

DAB is the greatest airport in the world. Competent, nice security, and so
easy to get in and out of. They always only use 3 gates for commercial
flights. Delta has Gates 2 and 4, Continental has Gate 3. Gate 1 was removed
for security room and Gates 5 and 6 are for charter aviation

How did you find the shuttle bus from MCO to DAB?

Old March 21st, 2004, 04:30 AM
Dennis G. Rears

[...]

DAB is a great airport. I wouldn't necessary call it the greatest though.
The smaler airports have a lot of advantages. ILM (Wilmington, NC) reminds
me of DAB. Security was easy going through, food prices were reasonable for
an airport. There are so few flights departing that the only delays are
caused by the destination ATC.

How did you find the shuttle bus from MCO to DAB?

I had my cell (mobile) phone and asked a coworker to check the MCO website
for me. He gave me the 800 number and I called them. I did this before I
was booked on the MCO flight. I was slightly ticked at how slow the driver
was at collecting the money for the shuttle. It took him 20 minutes to
collect money from 7 PAX. He did fly to Daytona. My GPS clocked him at a
max speed of 82 and an average speed of 71.

dennis

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:28 PM
jrk011

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message . net...

The gate agent
did tell me that if I rented a car to drive from Orlando to Daytona; I would
not have to pay a drop off fee.

This a not-too-well known fact about car rentals in Florida:

By law, there is no drop-off fee in that state. In fact, this is often the
most economical way of travel within Florida, particularly for more
than one person.

jrk011