What does this mean?

Old January 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Default What does this mean?

Going through the photos I saw outside of one of the restaurants in
Nice it was written:

============
Specialites esca

Raviolis
Gnocchi
Merda de can
============

Now my immediate suspicion as to what the last entry meant kinda
summed up the streets of Nice quite well, but what does it mean to a
French speaker?

Here's a pic in case you don't believe me:
http://deepfriedmars.com/OddPics/MerdaDeCan.JPG
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Padraig Breathnach

Magda wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:05:29 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Deeply Filled Mortician
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... Going through the photos I saw outside of one of the restaurants in
... Nice it was written:
... ============
... Specialites esca
... Raviolis
... Gnocchi
... Merda de can

Ha! Found it:

http://www.guidegantie.com/en/sub/glossary.php?letter=m

Now, who can translate "blettes"?

From the same source: "swiss chard, often referring to the root, much
like a beet"

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:11:38 +0100, Magda
writted:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:05:29 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Deeply Filled Mortician
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... Going through the photos I saw outside of one of the restaurants in
... Nice it was written:
... ============
... Specialites esca
... Raviolis
... Gnocchi
... Merda de can

Ha! Found it:

http://www.guidegantie.com/en/sub/glossary.php?letter=m

Now, who can translate "blettes"?

Silverbeet according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chard , being a
type of spinach.

Sounds better than dog ****.
--
---
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...

Sounds better than dog ****.

Sounds as if it could well mean "dog ****" in dialect and be a humorous
reference to an item that looks like a canine turd. (A posh grocer in
Bologna offers "palle del nonno" and "cojon di mulo" - grandad's balls and
mules' ********.

Alan Harrison

Old January 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:09:27 +0100, Magda wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:05:29 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Deeply Filled Mortician
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... Going through the photos I saw outside of one of the restaurants in
... Nice it was written:
... ============
... Specialites esca
... Raviolis
... Gnocchi
... Merda de can
... ============
... Now my immediate suspicion as to what the last entry meant kinda
... summed up the streets of Nice quite well, but what does it mean to a
... French speaker?

I think it's a recipe for gnocchi.

http://www.escalinada.fr/en/gnocchi.html

And it costs more than gnocchi with tomato and basil.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 00:16:06 -0000, "ALAN HARRISON"
wrote:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...

Sounds better than dog ****.

Sounds as if it could well mean "dog ****" in dialect and be a humorous
reference to an item that looks like a canine turd. (A posh grocer in
Bologna offers "palle del nonno" and "cojon di mulo" - grandad's balls and
mules' ********.

I haven't seen palle del nonno, but I've seen cojones di mulo fairly
often. I can't remember exactly what it is, although I think it's a
cheese.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:05:29 +0100, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Now my immediate suspicion as to what the last entry meant kinda
summed up the streets of Nice quite well, but what does it mean to a
French speaker?

you should have ordered some, and I thought you a wandering
gastronaught!
--
Mike Reid
UK Walking - photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:24:19 +0000, The Reid
writted:

wrote:

Now my immediate suspicion as to what the last entry meant kinda
summed up the streets of Nice quite well, but what does it mean to a
French speaker?

you should have ordered some, and I thought you a wandering
gastronaught!

It was available free on the pavement!
--
---
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:18:04 +0100, Martin wrote:

My friends living north of Nice say they avoid visiting Nice and that dog crap
is everywhere in France.

In 1986, Paris couldn't touch the Hague for dog ****. There were signs
everywhere admonishing people not to let their dogs **** on the
sidewalk, but they were totally ignored. Sometimes there was a little
figure painted on the curb in the form of a dog ****ting that was
supposed to convey this message, but it was a bit ambiguous.