Heathrow to Marble Arch

Old January 13th, 2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
John H

Default Heathrow to Marble Arch

Hi
Looking at London tube map, Holborn appears to be place to change from
Piccadilly line to central line.
Does Holborn have a lift or escalator or are steps only method of changing
lines.
Above assumes I have to go up or down to get the Central line,
OR
is Central line on same level as Piccadilly line at Holborn station.

Also do I need to go up or down steps at Marble Arch station to get to
Street level, or is there a ramp.

John H

Old January 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
white_man

"John H" wrote in message
Hi
Looking at London tube map, Holborn appears to be place to change from
Piccadilly line to central line.
Does Holborn have a lift or escalator or are steps only method of changing
lines.
Above assumes I have to go up or down to get the Central line,
OR
is Central line on same level as Piccadilly line at Holborn station.

Also do I need to go up or down steps at Marble Arch station to get to
Street level, or is there a ramp.

John H

Without answering your specific quesions, could it be better to take the
train to Paddington then get a taxi for the shortish ride to Marble Arch?
http://www.heathrowconnect.com/
or
http://www.heathrowexpress.com/

Old January 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

"John H" wrote in message
Hi
Looking at London tube map, Holborn appears to be place to change from
Piccadilly line to central line.
Does Holborn have a lift or escalator or are steps only method of changing
lines.
Above assumes I have to go up or down to get the Central line,
OR
is Central line on same level as Piccadilly line at Holborn station.

Also do I need to go up or down steps at Marble Arch station to get to
Street level, or is there a ramp.

John H

This interchange is relatively painless. At Holborn you do have to go
up an escalator (about half the height to street level) then walk
across an underground hallway, then descend another escalator.

Old January 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
katyjane

John H wrote:
Hi
Looking at London tube map, Holborn appears to be place to change from
Piccadilly line to central line.
Does Holborn have a lift or escalator or are steps only method of changing
lines.
Above assumes I have to go up or down to get the Central line,
OR
is Central line on same level as Piccadilly line at Holborn station.

The Central line is very deep IIRC

Also do I need to go up or down steps at Marble Arch station to get to
Street level, or is there a ramp.

John H

You might find this useful -
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/downloads...ctober2006.pdf

Marble Arch is not step-free. Very few tube stations are
unfortunately, they were built before people started considering such
things.

Old January 14th, 2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Clohogue

wrote in message
ups.com...
"John H" wrote in message
Hi
Looking at London tube map, Holborn appears to be place to change from
Piccadilly line to central line.
Does Holborn have a lift or escalator or are steps only method of
changing
lines.
Above assumes I have to go up or down to get the Central line,
OR
is Central line on same level as Piccadilly line at Holborn station.

Also do I need to go up or down steps at Marble Arch station to get to
Street level, or is there a ramp.

John H

This interchange is relatively painless. At Holborn you do have to go
up an escalator (about half the height to street level) then walk
across an underground hallway, then descend another escalator.

I've stayed near Marble Arch and have done the Heathrow to Marble Arch
several times with wheeled suitcase in tow. I didn't find it any major
problem, but while most steps are escalators there are at least 25 or so
ordinary steps with no escalator option coming out of Marble Arch tube up
onto Oxford St. I can't remember specifically about Holborn, other than I
didn't have any problem getting from Picadilly to Central tube.

On the last 2 occasions I travelled at weekends with 3 other family members
so took advantage of the Group half price rate on Heathrow Express instead
of using tube (we're always on a budget so generally don't bother with
taxis, usually pick up daily tube tickets). We walked from Paddington
wheeling the cases over to Marble Arch, it's not very far about 15 min walk
without rushing.

Old January 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
John H

Thanks for all responses.
Heathrow Express + taxi not considered anything other than a big money grab,
not interested in that one.
Didnt use it when I was staying at Paddington either.
Found Tube to be Ok last couple of times, so was looking at same this time.
John H

Old January 17th, 2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON

"John H" wrote in message
Hi
Looking at London tube map, Holborn appears to be place to change from
Piccadilly line to central line.
Does Holborn have a lift or escalator or are steps only method of changing
lines.
Above assumes I have to go up or down to get the Central line,
OR
is Central line on same level as Piccadilly line at Holborn station.

Not sure of the layout at Holborn, but steps between platforms on different
lines are the norm. Escalators may require you to come up to the subsurface
concourse and go down again.

Also do I need to go up or down steps at Marble Arch station to get to
Street level, or is there a ramp.

Steps from concourse to surface.

The easiest, but not the cheapest way from Heathrow to Marble Arch would be
Heathrow Connect train to Ealing Broadway, where you have a connection on
the level to the Central Line.

Alan Harrison