To Spain via Stansted and Heathrow: Itinerary help?

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
Jen

Default To Spain via Stansted and Heathrow: Itinerary help?

I'm hoping that some of you knowledgable people out there can look over
my itinerary for my upcoming trip and let me know if I've made any
missteps, or if there is a more reasonable way to plan things.

We arrive in February on a Satruday afternoon from Los Angeles to
Heathrow at around 3:00 PM. The following afternoon, we need to get to
Stansted for a flight to Spain. Here is how I'm planning to manage
this:

Arrive at London Heathrow. Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington
station and stay overnight in or around Sussex Gardens (near Paddington
Station and an area I'm quite familiar and comfortable with.) Question:
is taking the Tube substantially cheaper? I saw on the website that the
fares had gone up and it looks to take about an hour or more, whereas
the HE takes only 20 minutes. Opinions?

Saturday we need to get to Stansted for our flight which I believe
leaves around 5:00 PM. From my research it seems that there isn't much
to do in that area so I thought we'd just bum around London for a bit
in the morning and then catch the Tube. How far is the underground
station from the airport? Will that require a cab ride or is it
reasonable walking distance (which for us would be maybe 8-10 blocks.)
Stansted is a whole new experience for me, so any help in this area
would be much appreciated. Plus, I've never arrived on a weekend so I'm
wondering how different the flow of airport traffic will be.

Is there anything I've left out or should consider in this plan I've
currently organized?
Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can offer their advice!

Jen

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
The Reid

On 2 Jan 2007 08:22:38 -0800, "Jen" wrote:

From my research it seems that there isn't much
to do in that area so I thought we'd just bum around London for a bit
in the morning and then catch the Tube.

Been into Stanstead once, didnt notice much going on. I think you have
to get a train, not tube to stanstead BTW, although you probably mean
tube to the train.
--
Mike Reid
UK Walking - photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
JohnT

"Jen" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Stansted Airport is nowhere near any Tube/Underground station. You may find
the following site helpful.
http://wwp.international-airports.co.../stn/index.htm

Are you flying to Spain with Ryanair? If so you should be aware of their
draconian baggage restrictions (and their overall reputation). And I assume
that you depart STN the day after you arrive LHR (you quote arrival and
departure on the same day in your message).

JohnT

Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
Jen

JohnT wrote:
Are you flying to Spain with Ryanair? If so you should be aware of their
draconian baggage restrictions (and their overall reputation). And I assume
that you depart STN the day after you arrive LHR (you quote arrival and
departure on the same day in your message).

JohnT

Oops. You are correct. We arrive Saturday afternoon and Sunday
afternoon we go out of Stansted to Spain.

Yes, it's Ryanair and yeah, I saw how they charge per bag for the
luggage. I knew there had to be a catch for those practically "free"
fares! Fortunately, we are traveling fairly light and the fact that
this flight takes us right to our destination rather than to Madrid or
Barcelona, which are both hours away, was the draw. Cheap, non-stop
flights to Spain from Los Angeles are impossible to come by, and I'd
rather spend a night in London than hours lay over in Pittsburgh. Now
it's just a matter of figuring out how to not pay tons of extras on the
way (Tube ticket, potential train ticket, potential taxi fare, etc.)

Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
The Reid

On 2 Jan 2007 09:33:51 -0800, "Jen" wrote:

Yes, it's Ryanair and yeah, I saw how they charge per bag for the
luggage. I knew there had to be a catch for those practically "free"
fares! Fortunately, we are traveling fairly light and the fact that
this flight takes us right to our destination rather than to Madrid or
Barcelona, which are both hours away, was the draw. Cheap, non-stop
flights to Spain from Los Angeles are impossible to come by, and I'd
rather spend a night in London than hours lay over in Pittsburgh. Now
it's just a matter of figuring out how to not pay tons of extras on the
way (Tube ticket, potential train ticket, potential taxi fare, etc.)

as its Ryan, check the exact location of your destination airport.
They use some odd airports! I think there are coaches to Stanstead
from London as well as the stanstead express train. At least Stanstead
is a pleasant airy airport, the opposite of Heathrow.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
Graham Harrison

"Jen" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

To get to Stansted from Paddington take the tube to Liverpool Street then
take Stansted Express (train) to the airport,
http://www.stanstedexpress.com/

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
Graham Harrison

"Jen" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Getting from Heathrow to Paddington.

£14.50/15 minutes (20 from Terminal 4) on Heathrow Express.
£2 - £4.50/1 hour by tube changing trains en route. Why the fare spread?
See here https://sales.oystercard.com/oyster/lul/entry.do re Oyster (which
will reduce all your tube fares) and here
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...7/fare-finder/ for fares.

Where to change trains? Hammersmith between the Piccadilly and the
Hammersmith and City (bit of a hike between stations) or Gloucester Road
between Piccadilly and Circle or Earls Court between Piccadilly and District
(But make sure you get the *right* District train - going to Edgware Road).
Both Earls Court and Gloucester Road will require getting up from the deep
tube of the Piccadilly to the sub surface District. One other
alternative - Piccadilly to Hammersmith; cross the platform and take the
District Line to Earls Court, stay on the same platform and take a different
District train going towards Edgware Road) to Paddington (could be from
either face of the platform you find yourself on).

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
B Vaughan

On 2 Jan 2007 08:22:38 -0800, "Jen" wrote:

I'm hoping that some of you knowledgable people out there can look over
my itinerary for my upcoming trip and let me know if I've made any
missteps, or if there is a more reasonable way to plan things.

[snip]

Arrive at London Heathrow. Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington
station and stay overnight in or around Sussex Gardens (near Paddington
Station and an area I'm quite familiar and comfortable with.) Question:
is taking the Tube substantially cheaper? I saw on the website that the
fares had gone up and it looks to take about an hour or more, whereas
the HE takes only 20 minutes. Opinions?

I took the Heathrow Express once, but whatever time I saved was lost
by waiting in a horrendously long queue for a taxi at Paddington.
After that I've always taken the tube from Heathrow. If your hotel is
very close, or if you can get there by public transport from
Paddington, this won't be a problem.

Saturday we need to get to Stansted for our flight which I believe
leaves around 5:00 PM. From my research it seems that there isn't much
to do in that area so I thought we'd just bum around London for a bit
in the morning and then catch the Tube. How far is the underground
station from the airport?

To get to Stansted, you need to take either a train from Liverpool
station or a shuttle bus from Victoria Coach Station. The shuttle bus
costs about half what the train costs. Given this, I would prefer to
take the tube into London instead of the Heathrow Express, and stay
near Victoria Station. (If you take the tube, you would have to change
from the Picadilly Line to the Circle Line to get to Victoria Station.
I know there is one station where you can change that doesn't have
many stairs but I forget which one it is.) Then you could get the bus
to Stansted the next day. You will save money on two journeys, at the
cost of a little extra time. I don't know what the Heathrow Express
costs these days, but the tube is a maximum of 4 pounds, less if you
get an Oyster card. The shuttle to Stansted is about 8 pounds, the
train is 15 or so.

Maybe you've already seen these web sites:

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/transport.html
http://www.stansted-airport-guide.co.uk/transport.html

I once took a Ryanair flight from Italy to London and then a flight
from London to the US. This was cheaper than flying from Italy to the
US with a major airline, but whatever I saved was more than eaten up
by the cost of sleeping, eating and travelling in London. However, it
is a nice stopover.

Will that require a cab ride or is it
reasonable walking distance (which for us would be maybe 8-10 blocks.)
Stansted is a whole new experience for me, so any help in this area
would be much appreciated. Plus, I've never arrived on a weekend so I'm
wondering how different the flow of airport traffic will be.

The train arrives right in the airport, and I believe the shuttle
arrives right at the door. It's a small enough airport so that you can
easily get to any gate.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.local.london
John Rowland

Jen wrote:

stay overnight in or around Sussex Gardens

Saturday we need to get to Stansted for our flight which I believe
leaves around 5:00 PM.

There is a regular coach from quite near Sussex Gardens to Stansted. The
stop is in Gloucester Place, just north of Marylebone Road. It runs non-stop
from North London to Stansted. There is a timetable at
http://www.busmap.org/tt4/A06.pdf - there is no date on that timetable, so I
wouldn't trust it on exact times, but it will give you an idea of journey
time, frequency and alternative pick-up points. There is no need to book...
I think the fare is 6 pounds per person, or something like that.