First time @ EWR - rental locations?

Old February 10th, 2004, 07:33 PM
oracle_11

Default First time @ EWR - rental locations?

Hi,

I'm about to venture into terriroty unknown to me (NJ).
Does anyone know which car rental locations are most
convenient? I'm arriving on an AS flight late in the
evening. Judging by expedia's description, only
Dollar has a location in terminal with the rest of
the lot having to provide a shuttle to car. Only one
(Payless) is listed as being "off-terminal" (I assume
they also provide a shuttle?); they are, of course,
by far the cheapest option. If, however, Dollar is
indeed very conveniently located without a need for
a shuttle, I'd consider them.

Thanks for any advice.
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Mike Cordelli

Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz, and National are all reached by a train ride
from the terminal. Enterprise you have to take a shuttle to. Not sure bout
Payless.

Map over at

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrrentalcarsframe.htm

Old February 10th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Jeffrey Hacker

Alaska arrives in Terminal A. When you leave the plane, go down the
corridor. After passing security, turn right to the AirTrain - take it to
the rental car area, which has Avis, Hertz, Budget, National, etc. all on
the airport property.

Jeff

Old February 10th, 2004, 09:25 PM
DALing

most convenient is Avis/Hertz/National (for sure they are at the end of the
monorail and convenient (some others are there but those I know about
because I've used them)

Numerous others within 'easy distance" - read this as "off airport" pick up
and delivery service. SOME of the off airport folks are a bit lower priced
but not necessarily. Also - depending on where you are going when you leave
EWR, expect to be confused in the roadway signage (about as bad as Boston,
or sort of - took several trips before I got comfortable with the traffic -
and NOT at night) READ THE MAP before you leave - it helps. Flying on AS
(no departure time issues) won't be a problem but some of them close.

Old February 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM
DALing

payless was up route 9 a little ways IIRC and is a difficult one to find
without the map (not that it's HIDDEN, just that the roads were a "bit"
difficult to navigate. Also a bit difficult to get out of (not get on the
road, just get in the direction you want to go IF it isn't SOUTH) depending
on what direction you are going (I think it was payless I used last time)

m...

Old February 11th, 2004, 12:09 AM
cj

Newark is a mess! I'd suggest going off-site by air train or shuttle to
avoid some frustration. This is definitely one airport where on-site
rentals aren't convenient, especially if you haven't been there before.

Old February 11th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:09:24 -0700 cj wrote:

:Newark is a mess! I'd suggest going off-site by air train or shuttle to
:avoid some frustration. This is definitely one airport where on-site
:rentals aren't convenient, especially if you haven't been there before.

What????

It is much easier to find ones way to the airport rental car return than the
off site locations.

Have you ever been there?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:50 PM
cj

:oracle_11 wrote:

: I'm about to venture into terriroty unknown to me (NJ).
: Does anyone know which car rental locations are most
: convenient? I'm arriving on an AS flight late in the
: evening. Judging by expedia's description, only
: Dollar has a location in terminal with the rest of
: the lot having to provide a shuttle to car. Only one
: (Payless) is listed as being "off-terminal" (I assume
: they also provide a shuttle?); they are, of course,
: by far the cheapest option. If, however, Dollar is
: indeed very conveniently located without a need for
: a shuttle, I'd consider them.

: Thanks for any advice.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Getting to the rentals (on or off site) is not hard at all, it's getting
OUT of the airport mess. And yes, I've been there many many times. I
have yet to see an airport (in the US) with worse signage during
construction.
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Larry Finch

oracle_11 wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to venture into terriroty unknown to me (NJ).
Does anyone know which car rental locations are most
convenient? I'm arriving on an AS flight late in the
evening. Judging by expedia's description, only
Dollar has a location in terminal with the rest of
the lot having to provide a shuttle to car. Only one
(Payless) is listed as being "off-terminal" (I assume
they also provide a shuttle?); they are, of course,
by far the cheapest option. If, however, Dollar is
indeed very conveniently located without a need for
a shuttle, I'd consider them.

Thanks for any advice.

There are NO car rentals (including Dollar) in any of the
terminals. The major rental companies are a five minute ride on
the free monorail. Several more are off-airport.

The roads around EWR are very complex; it's easy to get lost.
More so off-airport than on, but you still have to watch the
signs carefully. At least if you are in the airport complex if
you miss a turn you can continue around the closed circular road
and try again.

Larry

--
Larry Finch