CyberFlying???

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P[_6_]

Default Using electronic devices during take-off and landing

On 10/22/2011 07:30 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
Fly Guy writes:

The embargo on electronic devices during take-off and landing is
bull****. We all know that prohibition is there to remove a possible
source of interference or lack-of-attention between the crew and
passengers in cases of emergency (which are more relavent during
taxi/takeoff/landing than during other phases of the flight).

No, it's not there for that reason. At one time, there was a real concern that
electronic gadgets could interfere with aircraft avionics, and for a brief
period in the distant pass, that was a possibility, although it's not a
problem today.

The prohibition against recieving devices (radio's and hand-held TV's -
remember those?) is really to keep the passengers in the dark about
external world events during the flight.

There is no regulation that prohibits receiving devices specifically.

Try discussing that with the flight attendant.

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P[_6_]

On 10/22/2011 02:39 AM, Fly Guy wrote:
Tom P wrote:

What annoys me is being forbidden to turn on a GPS receiver in
flight.

I've never let any such rule stop me from using my GPS.

Or my AM/FM radio. There's really no AM reception possible inside the
plane, but I've listened to many FM stations while crusing at 35k feet.
Most people (including FA's) can't tell the difference between an FM
radio and an MP3 player (and some devices are MP3 and FM radios).

AFA not being a threat, the question is, are devices certified
as not being a threat? As long as there is no certification,
that's the end of the story.

The embargo on electronic devices during take-off and landing is
bull****. We all know that prohibition is there to remove a possible
source of interference or lack-of-attention between the crew and
passengers in cases of emergency (which are more relavent during
taxi/takeoff/landing than during other phases of the flight).

I guess the theory goes that if you're playing with and focused on your
electronic gadget in your lap, or if you're wearing headphones connected
to your own audio device, then your attention will not be on the crew if
they need you do to something or act quickly in an emergency situation.

They don't really want to say that's the reason, so they invent this
bogus bull**** reason that your electronic device will interfere with
the control and navigation systems of the plane. They seem so anal
about it that you wonder why they don't force you to take the battery
out of your wrist watch for christ sakes.

The prohibition against recieving devices (radio's and hand-held TV's -
remember those?) is really to keep the passengers in the dark about
external world events during the flight. You can keep better control of
the cattle - er I mean the passengers - if they don't know and get
worked up about what's happening elsewhere in the world.

But I love using my GPS while on flights. It tells me if we're going
into a holding pattern, or which runway we're lining up for, and gives
me a good ETA to know if I've got to hussle for my connecting flight. I
know what cities I'm passing over, and what actual route we're taking
(is it a straight line? Frequently - no it's not).

I agree - except that I have had an FA tell me to turn it off and no
discussions allowed.

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default Cyberflying???

mag3 writes:

True, but at least it won't result in any pax. freakin' out in flight. It only takes one
panicy passenger to start a frenzy.

Actually, by definition a panicked passenger is a hysterical passenger, and
unless other passengers are also prone to hysteria, the panic won't
necessarily spread. Often the weird passenger will just be written off as a
nut case by others. But it depends on the circumstances.

Besides, isn't that only a 30 min. loop?

On many aircraft, yes, although I think some of the more recent airliners can
record for considerably longer.

I think pax. who simply wanted to be "alpha-hotels" ;-)

Hopefully there'd be some better informed passengers around to put them in
their place.
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Tom P writes:

Try discussing that with the flight attendant.

Flight attendants are often misinformed. I'm always happy to set a flight
attendant straight if she or he misunderstands the regulations.

Remember that FAs (and many other employees) are taught what they airline
wants them to know, which may or may not be the truth. Unless they do research
on their own, they may be blissfully ignorant of reality.
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Tom P writes:

I agree - except that I have had an FA tell me to turn it off and no
discussions allowed.

Discussion is always allowed, as long as you follow any safety-relevant
instructions.
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 01:16:33 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tom P writes:

Try discussing that with the flight attendant.

Flight attendants are often misinformed. I'm always happy to set a flight
attendant straight if she or he misunderstands the regulations.

Remember that FAs (and many other employees) are taught what they airline
wants them to know, which may or may not be the truth. Unless they do research
on their own, they may be blissfully ignorant of reality.

Misinformed as they may be, they're still "in charge" on the aircraft, and can
get you into some serious trouble with the authorities, air marhsalls, TSA etc.
Since it's left up to them to determine violations of the "Interfering with a flight
crew" law, I wouldn't mess with them. Just simply not worth the risk, even if
you might actually get away with it.
Regards,

Arnold
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 01:15:16 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

mag3 writes:

I think pax. who simply wanted to be "alpha-hotels" ;-)

Hopefully there'd be some better informed passengers around to put them in
their place.

Which, brings us back to the original issue... Those same "informed passengers"
are more likely the ones to gripe about people using electronics below 10,000ft. :-)

Regards,

Arnold
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black[_2_]

On 27/10/11 00:16, Mxsmanic wrote:
Tom P writes:

Try discussing that with the flight attendant.

Flight attendants are often misinformed. I'm always happy to set a flight
attendant straight if she or he misunderstands the regulations.

And when did you last do this?

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

Tom P writes:

Try discussing that with the flight attendant.

Flight attendants are often misinformed. I'm always happy to set a flight
attendant straight if she or he misunderstands the regulations.

And when did you last do this?

When his plane was forced to return to the gate with
a load of unhappy travellers.
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_8_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Tom P writes:

Try discussing that with the flight attendant.

Flight attendants are often misinformed. I'm always happy to set a flight
attendant straight if she or he misunderstands the regulations.

When did this happen last, and where, bearing in mind that you haven't been
outside Paris for the past 10 years?

--
JohnT