Advice on Autstralia (Sydney & Cairns) trip planning

Old November 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Advice on Autstralia (Sydney & Cairns) trip planning

Hello Everyone:

My husband and I are planning to visit the Oz - Sydney and Cairns,
from the US, during the last two weeks of May 2007. Not having traveled
much outside the US, we are a bit apprehensive and having a hard time
deciding on our schedule.

We plan to spend about 11 days for the trip. We are nature lovers and
we would like the trip to be a relaxing and peaceful one - I mean, we
are not the adventurous type. Any advice from the travel enthusiasts
reading this message is really appreciated. We would also appreciate
any information on where to stay and dine and places to shop. Also, is
it necessary to purchase on-line tickets in advance for rides such as
the Cairns Skyrail cableway, Kuranda rail and Sydney Harbor cruise?

*******************************
This is our tentative plan:

Day 1: Arrive at Sydney; Check into a hotel room; Purchase tickets for
Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbor Cruise; Take a walk on Sydney
Harbor Bridge at night.

Day 2, 3: Sydney Harbor Luncheon Cruise; Visit Sydney Opera House
(Guided tour); See an Opera at Sydney Opera House; Fly to Cairns on Day
3.

Day 4, 5: Ride the Skyrail cableway and Kuranda scenic railway;
Snorkeling at the Cairns Great Barrier Reef.

Day 6, 7: Take the bus to Daintree forest on Day 6. Boat tour on
Daintree river. Spend the night at Daintree forest on Day 6. On Day 7
take the bus back to Cairns.

Day 8, 9: Visit the Curtain fig tree; Flecker botanical gardens; and
take a trek on Red Arrow Walk.

Day 10: Fly back to Sydney; Shopping trip to local stores, Opera House
Mall etc.

Day 11: Flyback to US.
********************************
We would appreciate any words of wisdom from the travel buffs. Thank
you very much for your time.

Old November 9th, 2006, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On 8 Nov 2006 17:39:51 -0800,
wrote:

Hello Everyone:

My husband and I are planning to visit the Oz - Sydney and Cairns,
from the US, during the last two weeks of May 2007. Not having traveled
much outside the US, we are a bit apprehensive and having a hard time
deciding on our schedule.

We plan to spend about 11 days for the trip. We are nature lovers and
we would like the trip to be a relaxing and peaceful one - I mean, we
are not the adventurous type. Any advice from the travel enthusiasts
reading this message is really appreciated. We would also appreciate
any information on where to stay and dine and places to shop. Also, is
it necessary to purchase on-line tickets in advance for rides such as
the Cairns Skyrail cableway, Kuranda rail and Sydney Harbor cruise?

*******************************
This is our tentative plan:

Just a couple of thoughts on Sydney; I'll be watching the
Cairns replies myself because I'll be there two weeks after
you.

Day 1: Arrive at Sydney; Check into a hotel room; Purchase tickets for
Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbor Cruise; Take a walk on Sydney
Harbor Bridge at night.

By tickets to the Opera House - do you mean a tour or a
show? If a show, then you can book in advance and do your
own "tour" by arriving early for show-time.
See
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/
or http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/

For your other nights in Sydney - that first link will also
work for other venues.

Day 2, 3: Sydney Harbor Luncheon Cruise;

Personally, I'd spend the Luncheon cruise money on a really
good restaurant - and take the Manly Ferry. Or do both -
take the Ferry and find a good lunch in Manly, spend an hour
or two on the Corso and the beach.

You can buy all-day transit tickets for about $15 that will
cover rail, the ferries (excluding the jet-cats) buses etc.
Great value - and that ferry-ride to Manly is as good as
most "cruises".

Visit Sydney Opera House
(Guided tour); See an Opera at Sydney Opera House;

see above.

Fly to Cairns on Day
3.

Day 4, 5: Ride the Skyrail cableway and Kuranda scenic railway;
Snorkeling at the Cairns Great Barrier Reef.

Day 6, 7: Take the bus to Daintree forest on Day 6. Boat tour on
Daintree river. Spend the night at Daintree forest on Day 6. On Day 7
take the bus back to Cairns.

Day 8, 9: Visit the Curtain fig tree; Flecker botanical gardens; and
take a trek on Red Arrow Walk.

Day 10: Fly back to Sydney; Shopping trip to local stores, Opera House
Mall etc.

Day 11: Flyback to US.
*******************************
We would appreciate any words of wisdom from the travel buffs. Thank
you very much for your time.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: The Vatican
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Big Jim

Hello Alan

I agree about taking public transport instead. I went on my one and only
harbour cruise a few months ago for my sister's 40th birthday. What a waste
of time that was for seeing the view. the boat just went round in circles
for a few hours.

Once you have paid for your all day bus, fery and train ticket, you can ride
the ferrys all day long, if you wish and really explore the harbour.

For me, the trip on the Manly ferry is the best!

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Old November 9th, 2006, 01:39 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

You do not need to buy tickets in advance for either the Kuranda Skyrail
cable-way, nor the Kuranda train. I'd also recommend the Tjapukai Aboriginal
Cultural Park,

http://www.tjapukai.com.au/

oups.com...

Old November 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:17:39 +1100, "Big Jim"
wrote:

Hello Alan

I agree about taking public transport instead. I went on my one and only
harbour cruise a few months ago for my sister's 40th birthday. What a waste
of time that was for seeing the view. the boat just went round in circles
for a few hours.

Once you have paid for your all day bus, fery and train ticket, you can ride
the ferrys all day long, if you wish and really explore the harbour.

For me, the trip on the Manly ferry is the best!

Regards: Jim Sibbick

I drop in on Sydney at least twice a year, sometimes more
often en-route from Pottsville to Melbourne and back.

I get on a ferry every time. My favourites over the years
have been the Manly Ferry (the old type, not the jet-thing),
and the little ferries to places like Watson's Bay (and "The
gap"), or Balmain, or the Zoo.

I tend to get off at a wharf I've not been to before and
just go for a wander until the next ferry arrives.

Even the trip to Parramatta on the Rivercat was interesting,
although it's better coming back as the river becomes the
harbour and opens up before you.

In every major city I've visited anywhere in the world we
tried to spend at least a day just getting on public
transport to the end of the line and try to come back via a
different route. It was a way to see the real people away
from the tourist traps, and see the homes and suburbs. We
did that in New Orleans, New York, Granada, Rome, Paris,
London, Budapest - wherever. Sydney was no exception - but
had the added advantage of the ferries and that magnificent
harbour.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

Day 2, 3: Sydney Harbor Luncheon Cruise;

Personally, I'd spend the Luncheon cruise money on a really
good restaurant - and take the Manly Ferry. Or do both -
take the Ferry and find a good lunch in Manly, spend an hour
or two on the Corso and the beach.

Absolutely. No trip across the harbour is improved by having somebody with a
megaphone showing you where Nicole Kidman's sister lives.

Eating on harbour cruises doesn't really work in my experience - for the
price of the cruise you can get a spectacular meal on land, and leave when
you like.

In Manly, the best thing to do by far is to walk along the footpath to
Shelley Beach. There are miniature (and not so miniture) sculptures along
the walk, about a km or less. On Shelley Beach is a very upmarket restuarant
http://www.lekiosk.com.au/ if you feel like a real splurge, though Manly
(but not Shelly Beach) has loads of restuarants for all budgets and tastes.

Personally, I would spend as little time on the Corso as possible, unless
you want to buy a stubbie holder with "no fat chicks" written on it.

Old November 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Julie

u...

wrote in message
[...]

I agree with everything that has been said about Sydney. Definitely get on
the Manly Ferry and just pick a restaurant that looks good once you get over
there. Do not waste your money on a Sydney Harbour Luncheon Cruise.

I believe it is a good idea to book ahead for the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Walk. I haven't done it but I have heard it is very popular.

You mention that you want your trip to be a relaxing and peaceful one. That
will be very difficult for you with the amount of things that you are trying
to do in such a short time. Don't get me wrong, it is possible to do all of
these things but you will go home exhausted.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Australia.

Julie

Old November 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
PigPOg

[...]

Hi, I'm a Pommy. In 2004 I took my wife, daughter and son to Australia
for a months' holiday. We visited Sydney, Uluru, Alice Springs and
Cairns. To answer your query...

Sydney
To confirm other postings - don't bother with a Sydney Harbour cruise.
Use the ferries to get about, they are fantastic and relatively cheap.
We did the Harbour Bridge climb, expensive but worth every penny/dime.
You must book a few days in advance. Make sure you don't drink too
much alcohol the night before because you are breathalised before the
climb. Ideally, go to the booking office at the bridge to select the
day/time you want. We went to see Il Trovatore at the Opera House one
evening, a fantastic experience. Again you should book in advance.

Cairns
Good range of restaurants, we only stayed here for a short while
before going on a 3-night cruise to dive the Barrier Reef but enjoyed
a relaxing time here. We also visited Kuranda by train and returned by
Skyrail with a break at the Rainforestation. All in all, a great day
out.

I/we have travelled the world extensively and have to say that
Australia is a fantastic place to visit, as soon as we can afford it
we will be returning. I can't think of a bad word to say about
Australia - unless of course, they nick The Ashes back off us!

Enjoy your hoilday - you won't regret visiting Australia.

Simon