Tasmania Accommodation needed and advice

Old November 19th, 2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Caric

Default Tasmania Accommodation needed and advice

Linda Hardy wrote:

Strahan or surrounds, again does not need to be in Strahan - would like to
do the world heritage cruise, anyone been on this cruise, was it good value?

Would like to do some touring from Strahan to Derwent Bridge, where is a
good base to do this from?

It's worthwhile mentioning that the roads in this part of the world are
winding and mountainous - there are 99 hairpin bends on the eastern
descent into Queenstown, for example - so take note of travel times
shown on maps. If you do the Strahan river/harbour cruise it would be
best to overnight in Strahan.

In the Strahan to Derwent Bridge area there is also accommodation at
Tarraleah and Lake St. Clair National Park. (Both have websites).

Vivien
Tasmania

Old November 19th, 2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Linda Hardy

"Han" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is a YHA in Strahan. 20$ for a single room, but it was like a
hotel and unbelievably clean. I felt like at home there. As I couldn't
hear English well, I couldn't find the place at first. The host, old
man, came to pick me up. And he gave me some things like laundry pouder
free. He is just so kind.

As for Strahan, it was boring. I even visited a waterfall near the town
just for killing time;;;

Thank you Han, I think most people go to Strahan just for the cruise,
there's not a lot else there.

cheers

Linda

Old November 19th, 2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Linda Hardy

"Caric" wrote in message
ups.com...
Linda Hardy wrote:

Strahan or surrounds, again does not need to be in Strahan - would like
do the world heritage cruise, anyone been on this cruise, was it good
value?

Would like to do some touring from Strahan to Derwent Bridge, where is a
good base to do this from?

It's worthwhile mentioning that the roads in this part of the world are
winding and mountainous - there are 99 hairpin bends on the eastern
descent into Queenstown, for example - so take note of travel times
shown on maps. If you do the Strahan river/harbour cruise it would be
best to overnight in Strahan.

In the Strahan to Derwent Bridge area there is also accommodation at
Tarraleah and Lake St. Clair National Park. (Both have websites).

Vivien
Tasmania

Hi Vivien,

I love hairpin roads, so much more interesting that straight highways, but
obviously takes a lot longer to get somewhere, thank you for the tips.

cheers

Linda

Old November 21st, 2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Julie

"Caric" wrote in message
ups.com...
Linda Hardy wrote:

Strahan or surrounds, again does not need to be in Strahan - would like
do the world heritage cruise, anyone been on this cruise, was it good
value?

Would like to do some touring from Strahan to Derwent Bridge, where is a
good base to do this from?

It's worthwhile mentioning that the roads in this part of the world are
winding and mountainous - there are 99 hairpin bends on the eastern
descent into Queenstown, for example - so take note of travel times
shown on maps. If you do the Strahan river/harbour cruise it would be
best to overnight in Strahan.

In the Strahan to Derwent Bridge area there is also accommodation at
Tarraleah and Lake St. Clair National Park. (Both have websites).

Vivien
Tasmania

If you are planning on doing a world heritage cruise out of Strahan I
suggest you book before arriving. They are very heavily booked. Also
accommodation is quite hard to get also. So book both of them ahead.

Julie