Why don't you write a travel guide?

Old September 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
writing traveller

Default Why don't you write a travel guide?

Hi writing traveller!

You love travelling and discovering new places. You love to visit
places where you meet people you wouldn't have met otherwise. Have
experiences you wouldn't have otherwise had ... Not so? Than don't
read any further.

Tiny problem...
When you are travelling a good travel guidebook is an important
partner for you. How can you find local restaurants or that
particularly cheap and clean B&B without one? The only problem with
travel guidebooks available right now, is that most of the time you
end up with the Lonely Planet. So that would be you and 10 million
other people. As a result everybody visits the same places that become
a lot less idyllic and don't resemble the guides' description.

Many times the information is pretty outdated Restaurants are closed,
or not as pleasant as the guide tells you, new places "to be" are not
in it, telephone numbers and prices have changed. This thought must
have slipped your mind - "With the knowledge I gained from my last
trip, I could improve that guide tremendously."

Passion for sharing
WritingTravellers is an initiative for fans of travelling and writing.
For people who like to share their passion and for those who are
constantly looking for unique experiences all over the world. Most of
all WritingTravellers is a - non-commercial! - website about
travelling, put together from tips and experiences of a group of
enthusiast travellers. It's a website that can be neatly compared with
the encyclopedia of Wikipedia.

Unique printed guide
Writing for WritingTravellers is an on-line activity. As soon as we
have enough information, users can order printed guides based on all
the information available from the site. We put the guide together so
that it will meet all your needs and requirements, then we print it
all off. It will be up-to-date and it will only contain the
information you really need. So there will no longer be any
unnecessary load in your backpack. And the guides of WritingTravellers
will be cheaper than most of the others, for example the Lonely Planet
guidebooks.

I invite you
I invite you to become one of the First WritingTravellers, which means
you can be an author of one of the best and most exclusive travel
guides of the World. Let's rediscover the planet.

The First guides we would love to fill are the following:
* Amsterdam
* Berlin
* Australia
* India

But you can also add information to any country in the world.

What is in it for you?
FAME:
Online we will show your name with every article you worked on! But
most important in the actual guide we will print your name with every
article you worked on!

FUN:
It is really fun, to create a guidebook, especially if the guide is
about places that you've enjoyed yourself. It becomes more fun if you
can work together with others that visited the same place and if you
start uploading your travel pictures! Be careful it might be
addictive!

FREE Guides:
We are still in a start-up phase of WritingTravellers, but the plans
are ready to start-up a loyalty program. This means that you will get
points for every edit that you make, eventually you can use these to
order a free guide.

How does it work?
Travel to www.writingtravellers.com , choose a country and a subject
and let's start re-discovering the planet!

Good luck, see you at www.writingtravellers.com!

Best Regards,
writing traveller

Old September 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Thomas Endt

"writing traveller" schrieb
[...]
How does it work?
Travel to www.writingtravellers.com , choose a country and a subject
and let's start re-discovering the planet!

What's the difference to http://www.lonelyplanet.com/?
What makes your site so unique compared to other traveller sites?

Old September 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bart

Sounds Great!

Old September 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
writing traveller

On 14 sep, 19:56, "Thomas Endt" wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your request to explain more about the WritingTravellers
concept.
What's the difference tohttp://www.lonelyplanet.com/?
What makes your site so unique compared to other traveller sites?

I think the best way to answer your questions is to ask two questions.
- Can you co-edit Lonely Planet directly and get credits for it like
having your name next to the information you contributed?
- Do other travel site offer you the option to have printed guidebooks
(I mean real books, not prints from your own printer) from their
content?

Old September 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Thomas Endt

"writing traveller" schrieb
On 14 sep, 19:56, "Thomas Endt" wrote:
What's the difference tohttp://www.lonelyplanet.com/?
What makes your site so unique compared to other traveller sites?

I think the best way to answer your questions is to ask two questions.
- Can you co-edit Lonely Planet directly and get credits for it like
having your name next to the information you contributed?

AFAIK you can not co-edit LP directly, but if you contribute some useful
information, your name is mentioned at the end of the book.
You can contribute to the Thorntree forum though.

What's the advantage of directly co-editing besides of getting credits?

- Do other travel site offer you the option to have printed guidebooks
(I mean real books, not prints from your own printer) from their
content?

Well, LP does offer printed guidebooks

cu, Thomas

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Dave Fossett

"writing traveller" wrote:

How does it work?
Travel to www.spammingtravellers.com , choose a country and a subject
and let's start re-discovering the planet!

What advantages does this have over Wikitravel?

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 01:31:39 -0700, writing traveller
wrote:

What is in it for you?
FAME:

snip
FUN:

snip
FREE Guides:

snip
I seem to missed something -
FUNDS: ???

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

I usually post the travelogues of my trips to my site:

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
writing traveller

wrote:
What is in it for you?
FAME:

snip
FUN:

snip
FREE Guides:

snip
I seem to missed something -
FUNDS: ???

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Sloveniahttp://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest

Hi Alan S, you are right we do not pay for your edits, but we will
give you all the credits for any edit you make. Not by just putting
your name in a long list in the back of the printed guides, but by
mentioning your name next to the info you added.

Old September 17th, 2007, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
writing traveller

On Sep 15, 2:27 pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
I usually post the travelogues of my trips to my site:

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

Hi Alfred Molon, that is a very nice site you have with all your
logs!!! Would you be interested in writing about some of your
experiences/discoveries in the open source travel guide of
www.WritingTravellers.com ?