Unprecedented Sapphire Princess Dining Options!

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Unprecedented Sapphire Princess Dining Options!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Princess and thought it would be of
interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

5/19/2004

PRINCESS TO OFFER UNPRECEDENTED NUMBER OF DINING OPPORTUNITIES ON
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS

Four Main Dining Rooms Will Feature Different Themes and Menu Items

New Princess Concierge Service Combines Dedicated Staff with Computer
Technology for Easy Dining Reservations

Expanding the concept of personal choice dining even further, Princess
Cruises introduces a number of dining options with an innovative twist
-- themed main dining rooms aboard Sapphire Princess. The ship, which
debuts in June, will offer guests five main dining rooms to choose
from-- one traditional seating dining room and four smaller
restaurants for those choosing Princess' Anytime Dining option. These
four dining rooms each feature a unique theme and menu -- Vivaldi
(Italian cuisine), Sterling (steakhouse), Santa Fe (Southwestern) and
Pacific Moon (Asian).

Diners in these four dining rooms will have the option of ordering
from each restaurant's themed dishes in addition to each day's menu.
Guests who choose the traditional dining room won't be left out of the
culinary fun either, as they will have a changing array of dinner
options including items from the themed restaurants specialty menus.

"Sapphire Princess is bringing our customers what they have come to
expect from Princess Cruises, exquisite dining options." said Rai
Caluori, Princess' senior vice president of hotel opertions. "Our
unconventional approach to dining is one of the key offerings that
separates us in the minds of our passengers. We have listened to them
and are delighted to offer them a myriad of options."

"The smaller venues will operate just as our Anytime Dining rooms
always have, but with more choices and themed décor," noted Caluori.
"And this concept brings us a further step away from the vast dining
halls found on many other lines' ships of similar size."

The new specialty dining rooms will offer an array of tastes to tempt
passenger taste buds. Each will offer a series of dishes including a
specialty bread and dessert. In the Vivaldi dining room, which
specializes in Italian fare, diners can enjoy dishes such as Farfalle
alla Scoglio, Ossobuco or Cannoli for dessert. In the Sterling dining
room menu items include Prime Rib, New York Steak and All American
Apple Pie. The Pacific Moon dining room will feature a variety of
Asian favorites including Sushi, Five-Spice Mandarin Duckling, and
bamboo steamer baskets with Dim Sum, Pot Stickers and Spring Rolls. In
the Santa Fe dining room, guests can choose table side prepared
Guacamole, Sizzling Fajitas, Fried Catfish with Roasted Corn Relish
and Kahlua Rice Pudding.

These new choices will be featured along with Princess' signature
dining experience -- Trattoria Sabatini, the line's enormously popular
alternative Italian restaurant which offers a special eight-course
menu for a nominal charge of $20. Passengers can also choose the
24-hour Horizon Court restaurant as well as a variety of other options
for snacks and quick poolside meals.

Passengers can make reservations for any of the ship's dining rooms
and Sabatini's through the Princess Concierge Service. This recently
added service is staffed by dedicated onboard concierge
representatives using a new computerized reservation system, this high
level of service will enable passengers to easily plan their dining
choices through a special telephone number or in person at each dining
venue. "Princess Concierge Service will make it easier than ever for
passengers who wish to plan when and where to dine -- whether for one
night or the full cruise," added Caluori. "Passengers positive
response to the system has lead us to add this to add this to our
newest vessel."

The new dining room configuration is another innovation in Princess'
acclaimed Personal Choice Dining® program, designed to give passengers
the ultimate in choice -- and the only program to offer both
traditional and restaurant-style seating options in its main dining
rooms.

Princess' long history of culinary innovation includes pioneering the
concept of 24-hour dining at sea and debuting a number of new
alternative restaurant concepts. In recent years, the line has
introduced a popular premium steakhouse option, sea-going sushi bar,
the first Southwestern and Cajun-style restaurants at sea, and was the
first line to have all its ships inducted into the prestigious Chaîne
des Rôtisseurs gastronomic society.

Sapphire Princess and its sister ship, Diamond Princess, were built by
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) in Japan. The two 116,000-ton,
2,670-passenger vessels debuted in June and March 2004, respectively.
Sapphire Princess will join her sister ship in Seattle offering
seven-day round-trip Alaska Inside Passage cruises. Additional
information is available through a professional travel agent.

Old May 20th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Don & Lynn

I was looking for something new. That looks like the same press release
that came out on the Diamond a few months ago. You can dine anytime as long
as you have a reservation for that time. Don

Old May 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:36:29 -0700, "Don & Lynn"
wrote:

That looks like the same press release
that came out on the Diamond a few months ago.

Hi Don,

The press release was dated 5/19.

Old May 20th, 2004, 05:53 PM
D Ball

Ray, as always, thanks for sharing the news.

These new dining options sound lovely, and I truly hope
Princess is able to execute the concept to a high degree of
passenger satisfaction. Candidly, I think it will be a
tremendous challenge.

It sounds a lot like what NCL has introduced on their new
ships. In my opinion, NCL surpassed expectations with the
theming of their different "restaurants," but I was not at
all impressed with the consistency of food quality among the
venues and even less so with the level of service extended.
(NCL Star in Hawaii in June 2002)

Worst of all, NCL's reservation system was extremely
inefficient, and I am disappointed to read Princess appears
to be following the same/similar format. I resented having
to give up time during my precious cruise day to deal with
arranging a table for dinner. Princess says they will
utilize a computerized reservations system that the pax can
access only via phone call or in person at each dining
venue. If it works as it did on the NCL Star, you first have
to schedule your day to allot time for making a reservation
during one of the stated "taking reservations" time periods.
Then, on the NCL Star, the reservations phone line was
continously busy when I did as most people do, which is call
first thing in the a.m. to (a) secure the most desirable
reservation, and (b) get on with your day. After several
attempts, I'd give up and go in person to the reservations
desk and wait in a long queue, frequently to be told that
the restaurant of my choice was already booked, except for
dining at 5p or at 9p. Sheesh! At least the NCL "in person"
reservation process was handled at a unified desk so you
could consider alternatives on the spot. Princess is
directing the passenger to the restaurant of choice--so if
I'm at the Italian venue and it is booked, I then have to
walk to the steakhouse, etc.

This whole process is even more complicated on port days.

My question is this: Why can't they simply utilize an
interactive reservations system accessible by pax 24/7 via
the stateroom TVs????

I know, I know, with advance planning, you can make all of
those reservations the first or second day. But, while I
think racing to pin down that one specialty restaurant for
the desired day & time is part of the fun of embarkation
day, I, personally, don't think having to sit down & figure
out your entire cruise's dinner schedule in advance is
appealing. It's stressful and way too much work!

At the rate cruise lines are running to adopt
restaurant-style dining, I fear traditional dining will soon
be a thing of the past. Yet for us, one of the plus factors
of cruising vs. land travel is decision-free dining. Am I
really in such a tiny minority on this one?

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

next up:
Celeb Millie=96Med=96June 04, followed by a Nile cruise
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Mike Cordelli

I know some people think the dining experience is a huge part of the trip,
but I would much rather see the ship stay in port longer so I can eat in
local restaurants, preferably local food.

If I'm say in the Greek Islands for example, probably the last two types of
food that come to mind are Southwestern or Asian. Let me sit on a cliff,
watch the sunset come down, and have somebody bring me something caught,
killed, and cooked on the island.

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Eileen Garland

D Ball wrote:

At the rate cruise lines are running to adopt
restaurant-style dining, I fear traditional dining will soon
be a thing of the past. Yet for us, one of the plus factors
of cruising vs. land travel is decision-free dining. Am I
really in such a tiny minority on this one?

I for one really enjoy getting to know the same tablemates every night
AND love the decision-free I-love-not-having-to-think about it nature of
traditional dining, Diana.

Eileen

Old May 21st, 2004, 05:25 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On Thu, 20 May 2004 17:13:54 GMT, "Mike Cordelli"
wrote:

I know some people think the dining experience is a huge part of the trip,
but I would much rather see the ship stay in port longer so I can eat in
local restaurants, preferably local food.

If I'm say in the Greek Islands for example, probably the last two types of
food that come to mind are Southwestern or Asian. Let me sit on a cliff,
watch the sunset come down, and have somebody bring me something caught,
killed, and cooked on the island.

Food oriented cruising is for the Piccadilly crowd.