White house visit

Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
America has the seige mentality. You can't even walk down Pennsylvania
Avenue near the White House anymore.

When I asked a Secret Service officer about this, he said that it would be
re-opened in October. Apparently they're finally converting Pennsylvania
Avenue into a real, permanent park, like it should have been all along. One
good thing to come out of the Bush administration.

miguel
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:51 AM
Gregory Morrow

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
America has the seige mentality. You can't even walk down Pennsylvania
Avenue near the White House anymore.

When I asked a Secret Service officer about this, he said that it would be
re-opened in October. Apparently they're finally converting Pennsylvania
Avenue into a real, permanent park, like it should have been all along.

One
good thing to come out of the Bush administration.

Yeah but when can I as an individual visit the White House and also stroll
again the West Front of the US Capitol...??? These security "measures" are
getting a bit long in the tooth already and I'd *really* like my country
back.....

--
Best
Greg

Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
CoastWatcher

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

America has the seige mentality. You can't even walk down Pennsylvania
Avenue near the White House anymore.

When I asked a Secret Service officer about this, he said that it would be
re-opened in October. Apparently they're finally converting Pennsylvania
Avenue into a real, permanent park, like it should have been all along.

One

good thing to come out of the Bush administration.

Yeah but when can I as an individual visit the White House and also stroll
again the West Front of the US Capitol...??? These security "measures" are
getting a bit long in the tooth already and I'd *really* like my country
back.....

IMHO it ain't never gonna be like it used to be. 9/11 brought that
about. The main concern now is to try to keep the pendulum from
swingint too far in the other direction. All these new security
measures are fine but I just hope they have a cutoff time and not grown
like most gov't things, like a mushroom. If they do it is very fertile
ground for a police state. Not some thing the good ole boys back in '76
intended. I don't fault the Bush folks for this (yet), but I do fear
for what may come after Bush unless the current trend has some brakes on
it. (I know this isn't the place for such comments, but I think it
needed saying.)

Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Rita

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:42:05 -0700, Coas****cher
wrote:

IMHO it ain't never gonna be like it used to be. 9/11 brought that
about. The main concern now is to try to keep the pendulum from
swingint too far in the other direction. All these new security
measures are fine but I just hope they have a cutoff time and not grown
like most gov't things, like a mushroom. If they do it is very fertile
ground for a police state. Not some thing the good ole boys back in '76
intended. I don't fault the Bush folks for this (yet), but I do fear
for what may come after Bush unless the current trend has some brakes on
it. (I know this isn't the place for such comments, but I think it
needed saying.)

Security measures sometimes are very odd indeed. I live in NYC
and since 9/11 we have our bags searched BEFORE entering the
Midtown libraries. Also, I've visited art galleries before and
after 9/11 and one now must present picture ID. I don't know
what either these libraries or art galleries have to do with
terrorism. However, no picture ID is required to enter the
Metropolitan Museum of Art, no ID at all, although bags are
carefully searched. The Met, renowned as a cultural icon, could
be a target so this makes sense.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:55 PM
Mark Brader

"Rita" writes:
Security measures sometimes are very odd indeed.

My favorite recent example of this was on a visit to Washington, DC,
last month. At one of the security checkpoints I went through, they
X-rayed my pocket knife before giving it back to me.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is what customers do: they invent everything
Old August 26th, 2004, 02:32 AM
gman99

"Mads Vestergaard" wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of going to USA next year I would like to know if the White
House has visitor tours and if they have how do I buy tickets.

Thanks in advance

Mads Vestergaard
Denmark.

Is there any mention oif why the white house is white ??

Old August 26th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Roger B.

"gman99" wrote...
Is there any mention of why the white house is white ??

Since you asked... From the White House Historical Ass'n:
"It has nothing to do with painting over burn marks after the British
set the house on fire in 1814, although you may have heard that story.
The answer has to do with the walls themselves, which are made of
sandstone. Sandstone is soft and porous and it is easy for water to
seep into it... To prevent the water from getting into the stone, the
building was covered with a lime-based whitewash in 1798, two years
before the first president moved in... The house was given the nickname
"The White House" as early as 1812. It was Theodore Roosevelt who
made the name official in 1901." [R]

Old August 27th, 2004, 12:15 PM
gman

"Roger B." wrote in message ...
"gman99" wrote...
Is there any mention of why the white house is white ??

Since you asked... From the White House Historical Ass'n:
"It has nothing to do with painting over burn marks after the British
set the house on fire in 1814, although you may have heard that story.

May have heard that story because it's TRUE. It's amazing how the war
of 1812 is NOT it many US history books...hmmmmmmmm...little
revisionist history perhaps ?

The answer has to do with the walls themselves, which are made of
sandstone. Sandstone is soft and porous and it is easy for water to
seep into it... To prevent the water from getting into the stone, the
building was covered with a lime-based whitewash in 1798, two years
before the first president moved in... The house was given the nickname
"The White House" as early as 1812.

That's when it was BURNED by the british / Canada...freakin'
americans. Now you're gonna tell me vietnam was a draw....twit.