White house visit

Old August 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Roger B.

"gman" wrote...
"Roger B." wrote...
From the White House Historical Ass'n:

If the White House Historical Society has it wrong, tell them,
jerk. [R]

Old August 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Roger B.

"gman" wrote...
"Roger B." wrote...
From the White House Historical Ass'n:

Old August 27th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Keith Willshaw

"gman" wrote in message
om...
"Roger B." wrote in message

"gman99" wrote...
Is there any mention of why the white house is white ??

Since you asked... From the White House Historical Ass'n:
"It has nothing to do with painting over burn marks after the British
set the house on fire in 1814, although you may have heard that story.

May have heard that story because it's TRUE. It's amazing how the war
of 1812 is NOT it many US history books...hmmmmmmmm...little
revisionist history perhaps ?

I think you'll find it in the hispry books, usually described
as a US victory

The answer has to do with the walls themselves, which are made of
sandstone. Sandstone is soft and porous and it is easy for water to
seep into it... To prevent the water from getting into the stone, the
building was covered with a lime-based whitewash in 1798, two years
before the first president moved in... The house was given the nickname
"The White House" as early as 1812.

That's when it was BURNED by the british / Canada...freakin'
americans. Now you're gonna tell me vietnam was a draw....twit.

Incorrect

The White House was burned when the British took Washington in 1814
Its a fact that the building was referred to as 'The White House' before
this date.

As Snopes point out nn March 18, 1812, a Massachusetts congressman
wrote to his wife: "There is much trouble at the White House, as we call it,
I mean the President's."

Keith

Old August 27th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Brian K

On 08/27/2004 2:53 PM TheNewsGuy(Mike) found Nemo in a Sushi Bar and
exclaimed:

All this talk about the historic colour on the outside of the "white
house". What's more important is what's INSIDE the White House these
days. :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS

Not to mention that had there not been a fire, Dolly Madison would have
gone down in history as an A-list party hostess. But she did save those
famous paintings and important documents by rolling them up and stuffing
them down her prom-queen dress. Hence, Dolly Madison Ice Cream! :-D

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.