Visiting Ohio in October

Old August 21st, 2004, 07:30 AM
John James

Default Visiting Ohio in October

After a 5 day conference in Cincinnati I have 2 days free there before
spending 3 days in Cleveland and 4 days in Columbus (these time periods
are fixed due to a couple of business commitments which will take up a
half day each).

Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers but not
really into sport or adventure parks. I will be travelling on my own but
will have a car so have flexibility in getting around. I would also like
to see some amateur theatre if there is a production on.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

John James
Melbourne, Australia
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:06 PM
Keith Willshaw

"John James" wrote in message
After a 5 day conference in Cincinnati I have 2 days free there before
spending 3 days in Cleveland and 4 days in Columbus (these time periods
are fixed due to a couple of business commitments which will take up a
half day each).

Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers but not
really into sport or adventure parks. I will be travelling on my own but
will have a car so have flexibility in getting around. I would also like
to see some amateur theatre if there is a production on.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

The old Cincinnati Union station is a must. They have turned it into
an excellent museum that has good historical information
on the settlement of Ohio

http://www.cincymuseum.org

On the way to Columbus there's the Fort Ancient mound builders
site that's in a gorgeous location. It should be spectacular
in October with fall foliage.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/places/ftancien/

In columbus itself is the museum and Ohio Village
http://www.ohiohistory.org/places/ohvillag/

Last but not least in Cleveland is the rock and roll hall
of fame and Great lakes science centre

Keith

Old August 21st, 2004, 06:51 PM
Dennis McClendon

Look into the Air Force Museum in Dayton. I thought pretty highly of
it, and there are doubtless special things going on in Dayton (home of
the Wright Brothers) this year, the centenary of powered flight.
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM
JamesStep

Look into the Air Force Museum in Dayton

Yes, it's one of the best aviation museums in the country.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/usafm.htm

(Note: admission is free, but it's on an Air Force base
so they have i.d. requirements & foreign visitors must
show their passport; see their FAQ for details)

Also there's the Neil Armstrong Museum in his home town
of Wapakoneta, Ohio. You'll find some spacecraft and
space suits on display, a moon rock, etc.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/places/armstron/

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:49 PM
M. Tiefert

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:30:05 +1000, John James
wrote:

Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers but not
really into sport or adventure parks. I will be travelling on my own but
will have a car so have flexibility in getting around. I would also like
to see some amateur theatre if there is a production on.

You can find all that in the Hocking County/Chillicothe area (don't know
if the outdoor theater will still be open in October, though). It's a
beautiful, historical area with lots of state parks. It's also hilly, to
counterbalance the flatness of the Columbus and Cleveland areas.

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall & Eclectic Schoolhouse: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:53 AM
John James

To all those who have responded to my post so far, thank you very much.
You have given me some great ideas and a lot more research to do.

One more question if I may - what will the weather be like during mid to
late October? I gather I will probably need a coat of some sort but is
it likely to be fine or is there a real chance of some rain?

Thanks again

John James
Melbourne, Australai

Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Mark Brader

John James writes:
One more question if I may - what will the weather be like during mid to
late October? I gather I will probably need a coat of some sort but is
it likely to be fine or is there a real chance of some rain?

Anywhere in about the eastern half of the US and Canada has a real chance
of precipitation at any time of year. Weather patterns tend to change
every few days, so in a two-week trip you're likely to see at least some
precipitation, maybe a lot. If it's cold enough, that might be snow
rather than rain, but I don't think this is too likely in October.

John James
Melbourne, Australai

(Grni)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...blind faith can ruin the eyesight--
Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:09 AM
Auntie Em

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:53:02 +1000, John James
wrote:

To all those who have responded to my post so far, thank you very much.
You have given me some great ideas and a lot more research to do.

One more question if I may - what will the weather be like during mid to
late October? I gather I will probably need a coat of some sort but is
it likely to be fine or is there a real chance of some rain?

Yes. Bring a coat, hat, and umbrella. Rain shoes too, if you have
them.

Em
The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents,
and the second half by our children.
--- Clarence Darrow
(make that YOUR children).