Visiting Ohio in October

Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Ariane Jenkins

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:30:05 +1000, John James wrote:
After a 5 day conference in Cincinnati I have 2 days free there before
spending 3 days in Cleveland and 4 days in Columbus (these time periods
are fixed due to a couple of business commitments which will take up a
half day each).

Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers but not
really into sport or adventure parks. I will be travelling on my own but
will have a car so have flexibility in getting around. I would also like
to see some amateur theatre if there is a production on.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

I see you've already gotten some excellent suggestions! Hocking
Hills is very pretty, even though it's a bit of a drive from
Cincinnati. Unfortunately, the outdoor theater "Bluejacket"
production will have ended by the time you visit. In Adams County is
the Serpent Mound, an ancient earthwork that's supposed to be the
largest serpent-shaped one in the U.S.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/places/serpent/

Along similar lines is Dayton's Sunwatch Village, built 800
years ago by the Fort Ancient Indians:

http://www.sunwatch.org

The Ohio Rennaissance festival may still be on at this time
(it ends in late October), and it's a little hokey perhaps, but if
you're at all interested in this kind of stuff, it's a fairly large
festival. There's lots of booths that sell crafts, clothing, and
various free shows. Admission's kind of high, however:

http://www.renfestival.com/

North of Dayton, there's the Ohio Caverns, a privately owned
cave that offers nice tours (http://cavern.com/ohiocaverns). The
cave's not as done up as others are, and it's got lots of stalactite
and stalagmite formations. Nearby is the town of West Liberty, which
has a restaurant that (or so I'm told) serves a great pork tenderloin
sandwich, another Midwestern specialty.

If you're a foodie, Jungle Jim's is an interesting place to
poke around. To call it a grocery store doesn't really do it
justice. It's huge, full of ethnic goods from around the world and
also a good place to pick up gourmet picnic supplies and snacks with a
very large wine and beer section. It's in a northern suburb of Cincinnati:

http://www.junglejims.com

Cincinnati's got a good variety of restaurants as well. I
haven't had a chance to try even a small fraction, but they do have
Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, French, Italian, Japanese, Senegalese,
Ethiopian, etc. Also a local food is Cincinnati-style chili, which is
not to everyone's taste. It's a rather comparatively mild chili of
ground beef, maybe with a touch of cinnamon, and it's served over
spaghetti and mixed with your choice of beans, onions and a humongous
mound of frighteningly orange/yellow cheese. This is also served over
a small hotdog, called a "coney".

Mid to late October is usually cooling down in this area a
bit-- highs in the upper 60's/lower 70's, as low as the 40's at night
and it can be rainy at times. We're having an unusually mild summer
though, so it's hard to predict what fall will be like. I'd recommend
a light jacket and clothing that can be layered--and maybe an umbrella
if you have the room for it. It can be so changeable within even a
two-week period. Have fun on your trip!

Ariane
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Keith Willshaw

"John James" wrote in message
To all those who have responded to my post so far, thank you very much.
You have given me some great ideas and a lot more research to do.

One more question if I may - what will the weather be like during mid to
late October? I gather I will probably need a coat of some sort but is
it likely to be fine or is there a real chance of some rain?

Its very variable at that time of year.

It could be in 20's C or almost freezing, it will probably be cold
at night so you should prepare accordingly and dress in layers.

Keith

Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
GSHATTERHAND

Subject: Visiting Ohio in October
From: John James
Date: 8/21/04 2:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers

Several have already suggested the Hocking Hills area near Logan, Ohio. I want
to strongly second the motion! The area can be absolutely gorgeous in October.
Try standing on the cliff at Conkle's Hollow and looking out over the fall
colors, 200 feet below, for as far as you can see!

Do you really LIKE history and early settlers? There's Gnaddenhutten in central
Ohio where 90 Moravian Indians were slaughtered by angry settlers. One of the
best known and most infamous events in all of U.S. frontier history. The mound
where the victims are buried is there, and the excavated steps of the original
dwelling. But you gotta really like that period of history with all its warts.

Also near there.....Fort Laurens.......no fort.......just the outline and a
museum. But it's the only Revolutionary Fort that ever stood in Ohio.

Also near there, Roscoe Village. A restored canal town. Part living museum,
part quaint shopping town. Right across the river from Coshocton.

For sheer scenic-driving pleasure, drive though Holmes County in the fall.
Especially along SR 557 by Charm, Ohio. Just cruise the backroads of that area
a bit. The largest Amish settlement in the world and, away from the main drags,
you've gone back in time.

While in Cleveland, make the 15 minute trip to Lakeview Cemetery. The
little-known tomb of President James A. Garfield is there. And it's an historic
beauty. With a great view of the city from it's high, high, balcony. I've been
to lots of presidential tombs and this is still one of my favorites. It's like
a medieval tower, with winding stone steps looking down on an impressive, white
marble statue of the pres, magnificently lit. Lots of other famous folks are
buried there too. Like robber-barons? John D. Rockefeller's grave is right next
to the presidential tomb.

I haven't checked hours there lately so check on the web in advance on some of
these things. Ohio in October can be great. If you hit Indian Summer here, the
scent of the fall leaves under the sun in the countryside is wonderful.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:11 PM
jchase

Mark Brader wrote:

John James writes:

Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers ...

As to trains, I have here a copy of the "Steam Passenger Service
Directory", which is really a general guidebook to tourist railways
and railway museums in the US and Canada. However, it's the 1997
edition, so some of the information may be out of date --
Hope this helps.

Cuyahoga Valley Railroad- runs between Independence and Akron, through
the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. At your time of travel, it should
provide gorgeous foliage views (may be on limited schedule). They run
late-1940's Diesels for the last few years after their steam power ate
up too much money. There are numerous places in the Park to see, and
being a National Park, rangers, information, and visitors centers are
plentiful.

Check on the Sugarcreek line before going- they've had some finanacial
problems and may not be running.

For old lifestyles, try Hale Farm & Village, in the center of the
National Park, run by Cleveland's Western Reserve Historical Society.
Features a "village" assembled of various old homes, an original
farmhouse, and craft and daily life demonstrations.

Cleveland- try the Art Museum (world reknowned) and Natural History
Museum (both near Case Western Reserve University); the Great Lakes
Science Museum, and the museum ship William Mather, a Great Lakes ore
freighter. The last two immediately flank the Rock and Roll Hall of
Fame on the lakefront, an easy walk from Public Square and the major
downtown hotels.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:55 PM
JamesStep

I am interested in ... old trains...

A friend of mine is a retired railroad employee here in Ohio.
I mentioned your question to him and he jotted down the
suggestions below.

James

+ + +

CINCINNATI

See the former Cincinnati Union Terminal. It was built in the 1930's
in a beautiful art deco style, and today it houses museums. It's
open every day, and there's a lunch counter.
Info: http://www.cincymuseum.org/cmc/information/
Pictures: http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/o...ion/union.html

The Cincinnati Railroad Club is located in Union Terminal in the former
signal control tower (upstairs at the rear of the terminal). It has a great
view of the rail yards and is full of railroad memorabilia. No admission
charge, but is open only limited hours, see the web site:
http://cincinnatirrclub.org/

Across the river from Cincinnati, in Covington Kentucky, a group has
saved a lot of old passenger cars in a small railroad yard. Can't recall
the details, but the Covington tourist bureau could tell you.

COLUMBUS

The Ohio Railroad Museum has a collection of old street cars and railroad
cars. Located in the suburb of Worthingon on the north side of Columbus.
http://www.ohiorailwaymuseum.org/

MARION (40 miles north of Columbus)

Local train buffs saved the train station and control tower. Three major
train lines pass through. The grounds are always open; the station is open
10 to 2 Mon to Friday. I might be able to arrange for a volunteer to unlock
the control tower and give you a private tour; let me know if you're
interested. [If the original poster is interested, send me a private email
and I'll tell you how to contact my friend directly.]
http://www.mariononline.com/agencies/MUSA.htm

BELLEVUE (north central Ohio)

A train museum with all kinds of old cars and engines.
http://www.onebellevue.com/madriver/

DENNISON (eastern Ohio)

A good museum in an old train station.
http://www.dennisondepot.org/

CLEVELAND

On the west side of Cleveland in the suburb of Berea is the Station
Restaurant, a nice restaurant in an old train depot and you can
watch trains go by. I don't think they have a web site, but this page
tells a little about it:
http://www.switchboard.com/Restauran...Catering_Berea
_OH/Merchant.html

While in Cleveland, you might enjoy riding the rapid (light rail) line and
the 2 light rail lines out to Shaker Heights.
http://www.lightrail.com/photos/cleveland/cleveland.htm

There's a trolley museum in Olmsted Falls, west of Cleveland.
http://www.trolleyvilleusa.org/

CONNEAUT (way east of Cleveland)
A musuem in an old depot with a big steam engine.
http://ashtcohs.com/connmus.html

+ + +

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Lee

Try the train ride in Penisula, just outside Hudson,OH...Lee
"John James" wrote in message
After a 5 day conference in Cincinnati I have 2 days free there before
spending 3 days in Cleveland and 4 days in Columbus (these time periods
are fixed due to a couple of business commitments which will take up a
half day each).

Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers but not
really into sport or adventure parks. I will be travelling on my own but
will have a car so have flexibility in getting around. I would also like
to see some amateur theatre if there is a production on.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

John James
Melbourne, Australia

Old August 26th, 2004, 10:00 PM
T Townsend

John James wrote in message ...
Can anyone suggest what I should see while I am in Ohio? I am interested
in the outdoors and history, old trains and early settlers but not
really into sport or adventure parks. I will be travelling on my own but
will have a car so have flexibility in getting around. I would also like
to see some amateur theatre if there is a production on.

Yellow Springs near Dayton has a great park called Glen Helen; lots of
trails, etc. Yellow Springs itself is a laidback 'hippi' town with
boutiques, shops, etc. There is also the Clifton Gorge area nearby.
Not so much 'gorge' as gorgeous, but still awesome to us flat-landers.
Oh and if you're single, just go to a bar, open your mouth and use
your Australian accent to have the girls flopping at your feet (I've
seen it happen to a friend from Adelaide!)

Tom