Sandy Eggo without a car

Old August 25th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Norm Soley

Default Sandy Eggo without a car

Planning to visit San Diego for a few days before a conference. Hotel
is downtown.

Can we get away without a car and just using the trolley and buses?

Will probably concentrate mostly on the downtown area, the park and it's
attractions and the Old Town although we do want to spend some time doing
beachy things.
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Doug McClure

If you are staying downtown and touring downtown, you should be fine
with the trolley and buses. You might want to save a few bucks for a
taxi now. A lot depends on whether you want to wait a while for a bus
instead of jumping into a more expensive taxi. If you enjoy baseball,
go to the newest ballpark in the US.

With a downtown hotel you will be near the Gaslamp Quarter for dining
and shopping. The Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego is nearby, if
that is your taste. The Embarcadero and Seaport Village are also in
the area.

The good beaches are not downtown and not near the trolley.

IMHO Old Town has a very few good restaurants and lots of junky
souvenir shops, but it does have a trolley stop. Some of the better
restaurants are El Agave and Bertas.

Balboa Park has a lot of museums and gardens. The main restaurant is
pretty decent. A little further north of Balboa Park will be Hillcrest
with a lot of good restaurants.

DKM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:42:28 GMT, Norm Soley
wrote:

Planning to visit San Diego for a few days before a conference. Hotel
is downtown.

Can we get away without a car and just using the trolley and buses?

Will probably concentrate mostly on the downtown area, the park and it's
attractions and the Old Town although we do want to spend some time doing
beachy things.

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example .]

Old August 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
PeterL

"Norm Soley" wrote in message
77.134...
Planning to visit San Diego for a few days before a conference. Hotel
is downtown.

Can we get away without a car and just using the trolley and buses?

Will probably concentrate mostly on the downtown area, the park and it's
attractions and the Old Town although we do want to spend some time doing
beachy things.

You may need a car to do beachy things. Otherwise you should be OK without.

Like the way you spell San Diego.

Old August 26th, 2004, 07:21 AM
BL

Norm Soley wrote:

Planning to visit San Diego for a few days before a conference. Hotel
is downtown.

Can we get away without a car and just using the trolley and buses?

Will probably concentrate mostly on the downtown area, the park and it's
attractions and the Old Town although we do want to spend some time doing
beachy things.

I found it quite simple to stay in the downtown area and get around
without a vehicle.... as for beaches there are a few hotels that offer
transportation for a decent price -- which hotel are you staying at? I
still have my travel brochures & info pkgs from several hotels in the
downtown core from my last trip & would be willing to look through them
to see what's offered.

As Doug mentioned you are close to the Gaslamp Quarter and there are
quite a few good restaraunts/pubs in the area. Each to their own but I
was pleased with the restaurants and souvenir shops in the Old Town
section -- Sure there's better out there but it was neat to explore the
area.

Balboa Park is a must see! Beautiful gardens and interesting museums --
I also enjoyed visiting the houses -- each country has a house and has
things from that country set up inside... I'm not sure if they are a
year round thing or not! If you haven't seen the zoo and that's your
thing I'd definetely take the time to walk through -- touring the whole
zoo can take a few hours especially if you want to see the pandas!

Have a great trip

Brianne