world's worst tourists

Old October 8th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Geoff McCaughan

Default world's worst tourists

In rec.travel.australia+nz Jenn wrote:

[A US bank would go out of business with the service typically provided in
totally non consumer oriented Italian banks]

I wouldn't hold up US banks as some paragon of consumer orientation. I had
never in my life had to queue so long to perform a simple transaction before
I went to the US.
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Mxsmanic

Default Nice Ugly Americans

Sjoerd writes:

Huh? Thousands of rich young Dutch people here in Amsterdam who got rich by
working hard, or having a creative idea for a business.

There are no rich Europeans, at least none who got that way by earning
it themselves. I've seen what passes for "rich" in Europe, and only a
European would consider that wealthy.

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:23:32 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Keith Willshaw writes:

"The number of HNWIs in Europe grew 6% to 2.3 million in 2000 ...

That's less than one person in two hundred.

You said "There are no rich Europeans ..." Even one person in 200
is a long way from "no rich Europeans".

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Sjoerd writes:

Huh? Thousands of rich young Dutch people here in Amsterdam who got rich

by
working hard, or having a creative idea for a business.

There are no rich Europeans, at least none who got that way by earning
it themselves. I've seen what passes for "rich" in Europe, and only a
European would consider that wealthy.

Merril Lynch disagree

"The number of HNWIs in Europe grew 6% to 2.3 million in 2000, the best
growth in terms of number of new wealthy individuals reported in any region.
Together, they account for 32% of the world's HNWIs, up 3% from 1999 and
closing the gap with the number of wealthy in North America. "

I rather doubt Ricahrd Branson is on the povery line yet.

Keith

Old October 9th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Mxsmanic

Old October 9th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

You said "There are no rich Europeans ..." Even one person in 200
is a long way from "no rich Europeans".

There are no rich Europeans earning their own money. It's possible that
my standard of wealth is different from that of Merill Lynch.

Old October 9th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Gerry

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Frank F. Matthews writes:

Then again the ignorant europeans who keep using the term "Ugly
American" without understanding the literary reference are cute as well.

There are precious few Americans who understand the reference, either.

Well as is the case with most words and phrases, they change over time.
Apparently the good-hearted culturally-ignorant "ugly American" is not
to be confused with the boorish tourist. But I think we can use the
words "ugly" and "American" without it's meaning being limited by the
title of a 50 year old book.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Gerry

In article , Reid$B%%(J
wrote:

Same goes for any other broad characterization based on nothing in
particular; wholly untrue.

Nah, as with most generalisations often true, but not always.

Fair and vague enough; best to say there's no connection between
generalization and accuracy. Once again another opinion voiced as if
it had more clout behind it than a single voice.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Gerry

In article , tim
wrote:

is a completely different thing.

Americans usually redeem themselves for their actions by leaving big
tips, something brits rarely do.

Got some stats on that rarely and usually?

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.