car coffee maker / electric kettle / water heater?

Old July 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.coffee
[email protected]

Default car coffee maker / electric kettle / water heater?

I have a question for car (not RV) campers in the U.S. When camping,
what's your favourite way of making coffee or any other hot drinks?

1. You prefer cold drinks when camping.
2. You make sure the campsite has AC power so you bring 110AC
equipment.
3. You go to the nearest gas station.
4. You use a propane stove.
5. You bring some kind of a portable coffee maker/electric kettle/water
heater/immersion coil (ever heard of such a beast?).
6. Other (plain pot over a campfire (ouch), etc.)

I was mostly thinking of option 5. But when I search for "electric
kettle" and "car" together, the search results contain mostly UK
websites/newsgroups. So I was wondering if that's a terminology issue
or those things are just not popular in the US.

What I have now is this:

1. A 12V DC electric kettle (tiny & slooooow)
2. A 500W 12DC-110AC inverter (not powerful enough to attach any
standard 110V equipment).

So I was wondering if there is something in between available in the
US. I was thinking of a low power (500W), low capacity 110AC electric
kettler/heater/coffee machine/whatever so I could take advantage of my
inverter (obviously connecting it directly to the battery). I don't
need high performance stuff, yet I am not very happy with that 12V
thingy. I couldn't find anything of the kind on the web. Looks like
most modern electric kettles draw at least 1000W...

Thanks.

Old July 17th, 2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.coffee
[email protected]

Caveat wrote:
wrote:
I have a question for car (not RV) campers in the U.S. When camping,
what's your favourite way of making coffee or any other hot drinks...

Answer #4: a propane stove.

5. You bring some kind of a portable coffee maker/electric kettle/water

I was mostly thinking of option 5. But when I search for "electric
kettle" and "car" together, the search results contain mostly UK
websites/newsgroups. So I was wondering if that's a terminology issue
or those things are just not popular in the US...

It's a technology issue. As you note, electric pots draw huge amounts
of power. Twelve volts is too wimpy and those pots that are sold for
such use (as you found out) are "tiny & slooooow." A 120v pot would
require a large inverter that would drain your car battery very
quickly.

I was under the impression that the battery should be fine as long as
the engine is running... But I am guessing the type of
battery/alternator/wiring may be an issue at real high power levels
(how high?).

And that combination would cost a lot more than a small pot
on a small propane (or iso-butane) stove.

I am not sure how much a small propane stove may cost, but I believe
that's the best solution for those who also use it for cooking. I
don't. As far the inverter... First of all, I need one in the car
anyway, for things like laptop, cameras, etc. Besides, I already have
a basic 4 cup coffee maker that is rated, I believe, at 800W. So a
1000W inverter should do the trick. And I doubt it would cost much
more that the 500W one that I already have. I just don't want to buy
another one... Oh well.

Caveat

Old July 17th, 2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.coffee
[email protected]

6. Other (plain pot over a campfire (ouch), etc.)

Use your stove to make your hot water. Bring pre-ground coffee (of
your taste / economic status) in bag.

FRENCH PRESS

Makes DAMN good coffee, pretty quickly. Just did it Sunday morning in
the Uintas. Muy bueno.

Old July 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.coffee
Caveat

wrote:
Caveat wrote
It's a technology issue. As you note, electric pots draw huge amounts
of power. Twelve volts is too wimpy and those pots that are sold for
such use (as you found out) are "tiny & slooooow." A 120v pot would
require a large inverter that would drain your car battery very
quickly.

I was under the impression that the battery should be fine as long as
the engine is running...

IMO, it's a bad idea to run the engine to heat up a cup of water.
Gasoline is expensive, and the exhaust is no fun to breathe in a
campground (nor is the noise very nice).

If the large inverter pulls less amperage from the battery than the
alternator can put in wile running (at idle) it might keep the battery
from going dead. But this is like using an atom bomb to kill a fly. A
small, inexpensive, quiet propane stove is a far better alternative in
my view.

I am not sure how much a small propane stove may cost, but I believe
that's the best solution for those who also use it for cooking. I
don't.

Here are a dozen or so small stoves (less than the size of the
inverter) for less than $40 USD:

http://shop.lycos.com/camping_hiking...--296498-.html

A few such devices have a built-in pot and are designed specifically
for boiling water -- not the general cooking of foods.

As far the inverter... First of all, I need one in the car
anyway, for things like laptop, cameras, etc...

A small one is fine. I use a 120 watt model for my computer and that's
small enough not to require running the engine. But it won't heat
water.

Besides, I already have
a basic 4 cup coffee maker that is rated, I believe, at 800W. So a
1000W inverter should do the trick.

Too big, requires to much power. I suggest you leave your coffee pot
at home -- where it were designed to be used.

And I doubt it would cost much
more that the 500W one that I already have. I just don't want to buy
another one... Oh well.

Small inverters are cheap (~$40 USD). Big ones are not, and there is
an issue with heating with the larger units.

But it's your choice.

Caveat

Old July 18th, 2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.coffee
Cliff Hartle

Campmor coffee page

http://tinyurl.com/ahwgk

Old July 18th, 2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.coffee
[email protected]

Caveat wrote:
wrote:
Caveat wrote
It's a technology issue. As you note, electric pots draw huge amounts
of power. Twelve volts is too wimpy and those pots that are sold for
such use (as you found out) are "tiny & slooooow." A 120v pot would
require a large inverter that would drain your car battery very
quickly.

I was under the impression that the battery should be fine as long as
the engine is running...

IMO, it's a bad idea to run the engine to heat up a cup of water.
Gasoline is expensive, and the exhaust is no fun to breathe in a
campground (nor is the noise very nice).

Agreed.

If the large inverter pulls less amperage from the battery than the
alternator can put in wile running (at idle) it might keep the battery
from going dead. But this is like using an atom bomb to kill a fly. A
small, inexpensive, quiet propane stove is a far better alternative in
my view.

I am not sure how much a small propane stove may cost, but I believe
that's the best solution for those who also use it for cooking. I
don't.

Here are a dozen or so small stoves (less than the size of the
inverter) for less than $40 USD:

http://shop.lycos.com/camping_hiking...--296498-.html

A few such devices have a built-in pot and are designed specifically
for boiling water -- not the general cooking of foods.

Yeah, just tonight I checked out a couple stores and I totally agree
with you. I've seen some real small single burner cookers basically
the size of the tank for about $30.

So, a 1000W inverter is definetely an overkill to make a cup of coffee